mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Any new 2014 Fantom 29 ti riders out there - sizing quest too

After 1.5 years of riding full susp, getting a little sick of the squeaks that pop up and not being able to stand on the climbs. Looking hard at the 2014 Fantom ti for $1800. My searches find that everyone thinks the MB ti bikes are a great deal, some have seatpost slipping issues that get resolved, wheelset seems ok ... but I haven't heard of anyone getting the 2014 fantom. Questions that I have:

- sizing. I am 5'10", and am considering the 19". Bikesdirect website has two sizing charts, and they contradict each other. One says the 17.5 fits up to 5'10", the other says the 17.5 fits 5'10" to 6'. The site has some geometry info, but it is exactly the same for the fly and the fantom which doesn't seem to make sense (then they would be the same??). None of this leads me to trust the site's details. Anyone out there about 5'10" riding the 2014 fantom? If so, could you chime in regarding sizing in a helpful way? I generally prefer my bikes larger than smaller for what it is worth.

- could anyone verify the given geometry numbers on the site?

- anything else. I assume threaded bb and standard qr in the rear. A stock weight would be interesting, though probably not that important. A ride report would be cool.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I am 6' and went with the 19" frame. Now, I am running a 140mm Rockshox on the front and the stand-over is a bit diminished. I suggest, for the sake of your man/woman bits, that you size down. Now, don't do this without first making sure that the stand-over is any better on the other frame sizes. But I prefer a slightly smaller frame for all-mountain riding and the usual sized frame for XC/Street.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    TFH, thanks for info. I've been comparing geom to other known bikes, leaning towards 17.5. Follow up question for you - any regrets buying it? Do you like it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I woukd definitely go 17.5 at your height. I have one of their Ti cross bikes and have been reasonably impressed. I certainly wasn't expecting shaped tubing at that price.

mtbr member
    Ooops ... To clarify ... I have the Fly Team Ti Hardtail. Not the Fantom.
    Last edited by TracksFromHell; 07-12-2014 at 01:54 AM.