mtbr member
    Apr 2012

any entry lvl Moto owners?? 300-400ht??

Im just wondering how many people here have experience with the cheaper Motobecane's? the 300ht, 400ht, 500ht ?? I have gone through 3 pages of this Moto section and there is plenty of talk about Fantoms and Ti's, but it seems like there isnt much talk about the lower priced entry levels? I completely understand you get what you pay for. Some of us just dont have 1000-2000$ to spend on a hobby upon entry. I have other expensive hobbies like photography and it took me nearly 5 years to amass my collection of lenses and 5d mark ii (3,000$ camera). I jumped into it with a 400$ camera and worked my way up. Probably would have cost me less in the long run to buy a nice expensive camera but that just wasnt in the cards.

So I am looking at the 400ht or possibly 500ht depending on what sizes are available later this week. I also saw the 299$ Motobecane Elite sport 29'er though its classified as a hybrid? I plan on doing mostly trail riding and some pavement. Im not looking to jump 10 feet in the air but I'm sure ill hit 2-3 foot drops at some point. Im 5'11 and 170lbs, and just trying to get into better shape. I'm currently riding a department store bike I stole from the parents and replaced the old people saddle with a new saddle off of a trek 3500 the LBS just gave me.

Over the next 2-3 years I could see switching out the bars, shock, wheels, etc.. but would a 400ht be a good frame to start with? it looks ot be the same frame as the higher up models correct? Also that entry level 29er, would it be a good base to start from given my budget (not yours). I know I would loose the disc brakes which to me isn't HUGE, but the bike in general just looks a lot less agile due to its size. I know this is highly debatable but is the mobility sacrifice worth it for a few more inches of travel/smoother ride? Given my height I was thinking the 17.5" on the 29er and 18" on the HT if thats what I go with. I sat on a trek 820 and 3500 at the LBS and the 18 felt just about right.

Should be pulling the trigger tomorrow or Thursday just wanted some opinions from people who have ridden the lower models. Any info would be great ;p

ryan

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just got the Moto 500DS from Bikes Direct for $500.00. As a beginner/intermediate trail rider, I'm really happy with the bike overall. Initially, my only complaints is the back coil shock is really bouncy, and the front derailleur took some extra time to dial in. The rims seem to be very stout, and the tires are very aggressive for climbing. It does all I want it to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not the bike Im looking at, but good to hear non the less. I would go FS but from what I have read they are all pogo sticks unless your really going to invest some cash. I also do a lot of flat land riding and would just be constantly bouncing back and fourth. Glad your happy with the brand though ;p

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    At that budget, I'd buy used. Read up on what to look for when buying used bikes, then start looking on CL. You'll get more bang for your buck that way. You don't want a poor performing mountain bike because the variety of terrain in this sport require you to shift constantly. Poor shifting system = poor riding experience.

I made the mistake of spending $400 on a BD bike and ended up losing a lot of money selling it because I quickly outgrew the performance of the bike and it didn't fit me all that perfectly. If you buy in person, you get to ride the bike and try it out. When you sell it later on, you won't look much from depreciation. You'll also get a better perfoming bike (as mentioned above).

BD's solid bikes start at the $800 range. You won't outgrow the performance and you'll save money in the long run without having to upgrade later on. This sport requires a lot of initial cost, but it is well worth it. A poor performing bike is going to leave a bad taste in your mouth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So you dont think it will be fun, and last for 1-3 years? thats all im looking for. My current bike is a department store bike and I thoroughly enjoy it. It just happens to be 10+ years old and starting to shift bad and parts breaking down. Im not looking to enter marathons, or local comps. I just want to have fun at local trails and parks. I just find it hard that my department store bike that sure as hell isnt good enough, has been. So logically to me the next step up will be even more fun. Then my next bike after that even more so...

After comparing them on BD the frames are the same and the components are from the same exact company. Between the 400ht and 500ht (which i see lots of pics of in the pics post) The components are mostly the same. There are quiet a few people with 700ht's and thats just a 400ht with better components, which I could easily add over 2-3 years.

So I guess ultimately my question to you would be, how would one of them be a poor performing bike for me? given what im using it for. Also if not a motobecane from BD there are some trek 3500's at my lbs with crappier components but 50$ more, should I get that? lots of people start with those and love them. I rode it and it felt 10x better than what Im on now, the front suspension was a freaking dream.Not to mention just having trigger shifters over my current grip shifters..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ryencool View Post
    So you dont think it will be fun, and last for 1-3 years? thats all im looking for. My current bike is a department store bike and I thoroughly enjoy it. It just happens to be 10+ years old and starting to shift bad and parts breaking down. Im not looking to enter marathons, or local comps. I just want to have fun at local trails and parks. I just find it hard that my department store bike that sure as hell isnt good enough, has been. So logically to me the next step up will be even more fun. Then my next bike after that even more so...

After comparing them on BD the frames are the same and the components are from the same exact company. Between the 400ht and 500ht (which i see lots of pics of in the pics post) The components are mostly the same. There are quiet a few people with 700ht's and thats just a 400ht with better components, which I could easily add over 2-3 years.

So I guess ultimately my question to you would be, how would one of them be a poor performing bike for me? given what im using it for. Also if not a motobecane from BD there are some trek 3500's at my lbs with crappier components but 50$ more, should I get that? lots of people start with those and love them. I rode it and it felt 10x better than what Im on now, the front suspension was a freaking dream.Not to mention just having trigger shifters over my current grip shifters..
    i would ignore the trek - the motobecanes are going to feel the same imo. my $1600 fantom pro ds feels the same as the $2700 trek in the stores. even the $5000 2009 Specialized (although carbon) didn't feel different...

i like the bd bikes because i get to do all the work myself. i don't trust lbs's. all they do is strip my bolts and overcharge. i just ordered a 400ds with a 400lb spring and am looking forward to putting it together (it's so freaking fun, lol). the ds's get pretty good reviews, and the heavy load rear shock spring/coil can always be replaced for very cheap with a different spring (I got mine for $16, free shipping). Plus, I think the design is very cool, hehe. this will be my second bd bike in three months.

of course, the ds's are between $400-$500, and that's a little more than the 400 and 500hts

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well Im glad to hear your liking yours despite the price/quality issues people cant really argue past elitism...I think ive decided on the 400ht so I can atleast start with disc brakes. Im sure they are the lowest of the low but I doubt they will perform less than the 10yr old V brakes im using now. So I see it as a step up that will last me at least a year or two...Gonna pull the trigger tomorrow after I ride a few different size 3500's. The frame geometry on that trek is virtually identical to the Moto HT bikes save for a half inch here or there. The 19.5 felt REALLY comfortable and im only 5'11, but I'm sure it will but much harder to throw around than say a 17". I'm just not sure how aggressive my riding is going to get so I might get the 18" and split the difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Another thing I wanted to mention, if you plan on slowly upgrading, it's going to cost you a lot more in the end. Individual bike parts are priced significantly higher than buying a whole bike with the "upgraded" parts.

LBS have their role. If you're not mechanically inclined, buy from your LBS, but you won't get as much bang per buck. Or you can purchase it from BD and ask them to setup for you. If they give you grief for buying a bike online, leave and find a non-smug bike shop. btw, I was originally suggesting to read up about buying used and look for a used bike on Craigslist.

If you decide to stick with your original plan/budget, I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike and it'll be a step up from your 10 year old department store bike because that's a low bar you've set yourself at. I'm not trying to sound smug or anything. A lot of the lower-end bikes have trouble shifting while underload (i.e. climbing or peddling hard). That is one of the key differences between a solidly equipped bike and one that isn't.

I'm just saying that you'll significantly get a lot more if you spend slightly more. Shoot for SLX/LX or SRAM X7 and you'll thoroughly be happy for years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've got 5 years now on my 600ht with no major problems. BD was great to deal with and as others have said the assembly is is part of the learning process. I quickly upgraded then grips, petals, and brake levers after the first couple rides. Mine is the '06 model with the RS J1 forks and I am now outgrowing them and looking to upgrade. I know this isn't the model you're looking for but figured I would throw my two cents in anyways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ^ yay this sounds like good news ;p. Im not even looking to have it last 5 years really. I just had some pretty major surgery and wont be returning to work anytime soon, hence the lack of funds. So if it will last me 1-3 years and help me get familiar with suspensions, disc brakes, and doing my own maintenance then thats worth 320$ to me.
    Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    Another thing I wanted to mention, if you plan on slowly upgrading, it's going to cost you a lot more in the end. Individual bike parts are priced significantly higher than buying a whole bike with the "upgraded" parts.

LBS have their role. If you're not mechanically inclined, buy from your LBS, but you won't get as much bang per buck. Or you can purchase it from BD and ask them to setup for you. If they give you grief for buying a bike online, leave and find a non-smug bike shop. btw, I was originally suggesting to read up about buying used and look for a used bike on Craigslist.

If you decide to stick with your original plan/budget, I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike and it'll be a step up from your 10 year old department store bike because that's a low bar you've set yourself at. I'm not trying to sound smug or anything. A lot of the lower-end bikes have trouble shifting while underload (i.e. climbing or peddling hard). That is one of the key differences between a solidly equipped bike and one that isn't.

I'm just saying that you'll significantly get a lot more if you spend slightly more. Shoot for SLX/LX or SRAM X7 and you'll thoroughly be happy for years.
    I plan on putting the bike together myself. Im am un-usually quick when it comes to mechanics. I had replaced my parents suspension for fun on their SUV when they went on a 4 day vacation and I was 15, by myself. I do all the work on my cars etc..I also understand that I will spend more in the long run. That is the exact analogy I used with my camera hobby on the first post. I could have spent 5k and bought everything I have now that took me 5 years to collect, instead of the 10k ive spent. Those 5 years were full of great learning experiences and bad decisions and great ones. I wouldnt have done it any other way. Having more money isnt in the cards, and Im fine with shelling out more in the long run. If the money isnt avail now or anytime in the next 6 months I rather take what I can get than sit on my ass for 6 months...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Little late

But I figured I'd throw in my $.02. I just picked up a used Moto 400HT off CL in my area. $100 and off I rode. Not sure what year it is or how many miles she has on her but to tell you the truth, I couldn't care less. Does everything I ask it to do with relative ease.
    The RST front fork is junk though, way too soft and my carnage case is growing slowly. Most recently adding the derailluer hangar and derailluer itself. But thats all part and parcel of the sport.
    It's a quick bike, easy to handle, climbs relatively well, stops quickly, is well balanced and all in all a pleasure to ride on and off the trails. I'd buy one new if I were looking for one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If u r mechanically inclined pick up a 1-3 year used bike, like a motobecane. You can fix/tune it up and get better value for less.

I grabbed a moto rockshox Sid xtr equipped bike for less than $500. Needed work but so do all new motos.

Better components are lighter more than anything else, I find shifting differences negligible.

Unlike cameras, upgrading bike post purchase is VERY inefficient. Take $100 400ht used bike the price out even used parts (only listed parts make significant difference, rough estimate cost)
    Fly team frame $150
    Rockshox Sid fork $400
    Hydro higher end brakes $160
    Carbon cranks $150
    Xtr shifter and derailleur ?
    Vuelta xrp light wheels 170

The data is very clear on this.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's
    Last edited by bob13bob; 06-25-2012 at 01:33 PM.