mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Any bike with XT front and back derailleurs ?

I'm looking at the 2009 Motobecane 700HT and the 2009 Motobecane Fantom 29; and they both have LX front derailleurs and shifters.
    Are there any models with XT front/back derailleurs and also shifters ?

The next level up seems to be the 2008 Motobecane Fantom PRO which has XTR in front too, but XTR seems to be not worth it for me (I plan to do a lot of city riding, but need MTB as roads are crap, and lots of pavement riding). I also gather XTR is less robust than XT.

aka übermensch
    Don't know that any Motobecane offers them as OEM. I have XT shifters, as well as front and rear derailleurs, but only because I bought them and put them on myself.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The Fantom Elite has an XT front and XTR rear. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_elite08.htm

For some reason it is common for most bike companies to have a higher level derailleur in
    the rear than in the front. Probably because the rear derailleur has more of an effect on shifting than the front, so they save some money on the front derailleur.

My only question for you would be why do you need an XT front derailleur. I have used front derailleurs from Alivio all the way up to XTR and I find very little difference in shifting. Rear derailleurs make a big difference, but not front. I find that front shifting has more to do with the quality of the chainrings (i.e. ramps and pins etc.) I will say though that I love the push/pull of the XT shifters. I know the new LX shiters have this, but Motobecane usually uses the older versions.

Also it is always an option to just buy an XT derailleur. Just look around for sales. I picked up an XT derailleur from Jenson about 6 months ago for $19.99.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    But if the front derailleurs are so inexpensive, why would BD not put them there, even for one (sub $800) bike ? Even the fantum pro 29 does not have it,