tj-
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Any advice on assembling Fantom 29Pro 2011?

I'm new to mtbr, mountain biking, buying on-line and bike assembly. My new bike arrives in 3 days and along with being excited like a kid on Xmas eve, I want to know if it is recommended to bring to my LBS for assembly or if the bikes are in good shape from the factory such that basic assembly is all that is required? I do have tools including a torque wrench and Park Tool's BBB-2 (book). If I am to assemble, should I have a brake bleed kit (Avid Elixir R)? Do you have any tips for assembly or things to watch out for specific to this brand/model? Much appreciated.
    Last edited by tj-; 06-06-2011 at 01:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    from memory of the 2010 assembly, i debated on your questions, too. i went w/ doing it myself and then getting a quick inspection by a LBS.

* tools: grease for the pedals/seat tube, a bunch of allen wrenches, a torx 30? star bolt thing, a thin wrench or pedal wrenches, tire pump, wire cutter & needle nose plier for the lockout. isoprobyl alcohol for cleaning the rotors
    * pedals: left goes on backwards (left to tighten/right to loosen)
    * handlebar: a 1 finger braking setup works w/ hydraulic brakes
    * brake rotors: add/tighten the nuts in a star pattern
    * brake mounts: follow the manual's nut order between flat/curved parts. assemble a little loosely (or loosen the back one), hit the brake lever and tighten the nuts. if the brake pressure is uneven, maybe do the bleed. mine didn't need them

i would also suggest some early chain maintenance as the factory grease is thick. i like "the grunge brush" and finish line's dry teflon lube.
    Last edited by aaalllen; 06-10-2011 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    take your time, internet is your friend and good luckBuilding a full suspension bike-Step by Step

tj-
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the input...it was much easier than I anticipated, especially since I brought it to my LBS to inspect, correct and torque-check my assembly. And what a great post by BikerBob!

I was apprehensive about the whole BD purchase having read several posts about shipping damage, lack of factory support, costly return shipping for warranty, etc., but I can now report that my bike arrived in perfect condition and was extremely well-packaged. I'll certainly learn more about the quality of the bike after I put some miles on it.