mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Another Frame Size Question Motobecane FLY Team 29

After a long search I have decided to purchase a 2014 Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium when they come available. I am not sure what frame size to get though. I have a 2013 29er 17.5" Specialized Carve SL and find that is the perfect size for me. I have tried to do the size comparison and it looks like the frame sizes are similar. For my height bikes direct is showing a 15.5" frame though and other people say the frames run large. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Especially if someone has a newer model Specialized that they can compare it to in terms of size.
    Thanks
    Last edited by GooseR6; 10-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseR6 View Post
    After a long search I have decided to purchase a 2014 Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium when they come available. I am not sure what frame size to get though. I have a 2013 29er 17.5" Specialized Carve SL and find that is the perfect size for me. I have tried to do the size comparison and it looks like the frame sizes are similar. For my height bikes direct is showing a 15.5" frame though and other people say the frames run large. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Especially if someone has a newer model Specialized that they can compare it to in terms of size.
    Thanks
    Ignore the frame size and compare the top tube lengths; that's the key element in bike fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You should regularly go a size smaller than BikesDirect suggests on Motobecane's 29ers. Their standover is regularly going to be a bit larger anyways. I have a Motobecane Elite trail 29er for hybrid riding, I'm 5'11" went with the 16" model. Fits me well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

It's not quite that simple

While that may work for you, it's dependent on your body proportions. I'm only an inch taller than you, but based on the Fly Team frame geometry, I'll need a 19" frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Update to my previous post

I received my bike this week and I definitely needed the 19" frame. As it is, the seatpost is too short, which means a 17" frame wouldn't have worked even with a 400mm seatpost.

Again, fit is very individual and what works for me may not work for people with different body proportions.

The perfessor
    - might be that their bikes are oversized; I ride a Large, I'm 6'1" and I've made changes to better fit my bike to my body by downsizing through components (shorter stem for example).........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared