WI. Big Boy MTBer

Addicted to sub $500 BikesDirect bikes!

A lot of forum members here will scoff at the idea of a BD bike in general... favoring a "big name" brand from the LBS. I am all about supporting my LBS (shout out to Ben's Cycle in Milwaukee WI.)
    I do part time wrenching as a side gig and buy most all my parts from them as well as parts and accessories for my own bikes..so yeah, I get the support the little guy thing. Truth be known, I live pretty frugally... that's where the fine folks at BD come into play.
    Those of us that own BD bikes know that there is a lot to like about them.. even the sub $500 models! I currently own 2 with another on the way. I love being able to tear a bike down to bare frame and build it back up better than it was outta box. Wrenching is therapeutic for me and to get paid to do it is just icing! I love BD bikes! I have 2 as of the time of this post.. by tomorrow, I will have my third in less than 6 months.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by fattybikejones; 01-30-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

No Stranger to danger....
    Whats a BD bike?
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

WI. Big Boy MTBer

Re: Addicted to sub $500 BD bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Whats a BD bike?
    Sorry.. BD = Bikes Direct

No Stranger to danger....
    LOL, Sorry mate, my fault, i think im a bit slow on some of these things lol, yes ive heard a few good things too about BD, seems like a great alternative to spending big bucks, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

WI. Big Boy MTBer

Re: Addicted to sub $500 BikesDirect bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    LOL, Sorry mate, my fault, i think im a bit slow on some of these things lol, yes ive heard a few good things too about BD, seems like a great alternative to spending big bucks, cheers
    Haha.. no worries my friend, Just a little editorial blathering-on about my love of things BikesDirect.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Love mine ;p Hollywood Beach Florida last weekend
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WI. Big Boy MTBer

Looks good man! Ahhhhhhh Florida winters! Just got my Dawes HM2900 assembled, tuned and some upgrades done. Too bad it's 9 degrees outside! *sigh*

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I live in Jacksonville....we have THREE Bikes direct retail locations here.....so for me...BD is a LBS....nice shops, good service and good staff.

I'm currently looking for a new bike and have it down between three...a Motobecane, a Trek and a Cannondale.....for the value , right now Motobecane seems to be edging the other bikes out.

One of my LBS is within a short walk from my house (about three blocks) and is a Cannondale only dealer here in the Riverside area of Jax....and they are jerks...terrible service when I've walked in..( I'm a Clyesdale...a big guy and was ignored for about 15minutes...then offered a catalog and a price list...NICE).....another LBS about 10 minute drive carries both Cannondale and Trek and has a really good staff... knowledgeable and very willing to answer questions and help custom a bike to fit my needs ( I'm mostly a urban and paved trail rider)

The BD location at St. John's town center has a really good staff...and the bikes are set up and assembled very well....so I keep reading and learning more...but these BD bikes are really starting to impress me for value. I can see why the OP has an addiction....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm looking at a couple of bikes from BD, but can't decide yet. I will probably place an order in the next week or so.

Rogue Exterminator
    I have yet to hear anyone complain about Bikes Direct and it seems that if you want to find a god deal on a bike online they are the go to place.

That being said, I have 3 bikes.
    One is an old full rigid 26er that I bought used just to have something to tinker with so we won't count that.
    My hard tail is a sub $500 bike that I love and I bought it new at an LBS.
    It is a Marin Bolinas Ridge 29er that was on close out at REI for $499.93 (so barely sub $500). The bike is simply brilliant for the price.
    My full suspension bike was an online special from Giant Nerd. It is a GT sensor Elite 9r. The MSRP was $1999 but I picked it up for $1035 plus I got $65 "nerd cash" to spend in the store. So I guess you can figure that as a sub $1k bike.
    Again, it is brilliant at that price point.

My next steed in the barn will most likely be a rigid single speed and bikes direct is on the top of my list of places to get one as I feel it should be sub $500 and none of the local places have a SS for under $1k.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread but I am new and can't create my own tread yet. Anyone has suggestions about the Motobecane Fantom29 Comp between the "Comp" and "Trail" versions on Bikes Direct? I am a beg to intermediate, 6'5'' 195 lbs, in reasonable shape. I am riding an old 26' and ready to getting into MTB more seriously but also need to watch my expenses : )

Thanks in advance,

Stefano

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    The sub $500 ss 29ers if anything like my dawes HM2900, are gonna be sweet. I could see one in my stable this spring!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by sfstefano View Post
    Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread but I am new and can't create my own tread yet. Anyone has suggestions about the Motobecane Fantom29 Comp between the "Comp" and "Trail" versions on Bikes Direct? I am a beg to intermediate, 6'5'' 195 lbs, in reasonable shape. I am riding an old 26' and ready to getting into MTB more seriously but also need to watch my expenses : )

Thanks in advance,

Stefano
    Biggest difference between the two are the forks, derailleurs, and brakes.

The XCT fork on the Fantom Trail is a pogo stick. I had it on an old bike and it is pretty much worthless. However, Suntour does have an upgrade program where you could get the Raidon for as little as $175 which is a slamming deal. The Rockshox on the Comp is a bit nicer, but if you are going to get in to serious riding you will probably want to upgrade that anyways.

Although the SLX on the comp is a nicer derailleur, either will do you fine and most people seem to just upgrade derailleurs when they brake.

Then it comes down to brakes. Do you want hydraulic or mechanical brakes.

If you think the brakes and derailleurs or worth the extra $200 then get the comp because IMO you will most likely want to upgrade either fork anyways.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just ordered a bike yesterday. Expecting to get it on Friday. Pretty pumped, can't wait

WI. Big Boy MTBer

Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    Just ordered a bike yesterday. Expecting to get it on Friday. Pretty pumped, can't wait
    Cool! What did you settle on?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I posted the question on whether or not to get the Elite Adventure, or the Elite Trail X4 the other day. Got a couple of responses. I ended up going with the Elite Trail which was $399 when I ordered it, but today has been marked up to $419 now. My budget was in the $300-400 range, so the Elite Adventure fit right in there. Now I just shopping around for some gear. Figure I'll need a spoke wrench, rack, light, helmet, and a few other things So I'm pretty pumped.

When I was looking around at the local shops, most entry level bikes started in the $600 range, a little more than I wanted to spend. So I don't feel I could have gone wrong.

WI. Big Boy MTBer

I posted the question on whether or not to get the Elite Adventure, or the Elite Trail X4 the other day. Got a couple of responses. I ended up going with the Elite Trail which was $399 when I ordered it, but today has been marked up to $419 now. My budget was in the $300-400 range, so the Elite Adventure fit right in there. Now I just shopping around for some gear. Figure I'll need a spoke wrench, rack, light, helmet, and a few other things So I'm pretty pumped.

When I was looking around at the local shops, most entry level bikes started in the $600 range, a little more than I wanted to spend. So I don't feel I could have gone wrong.
    Awesome!
    Just make sure you take care to assemble the bike correctly. If there is anything you are unsure of, you may be best served taking it to someone who knows bikes. I recommend checking headset bearings and wheel hubs for lack of factory grease and proper adjustment. Eiher way.enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
    Awesome!
    Just make sure you take care to assemble the bike correctly. If there is anything you are unsure of, you may be best served taking it to someone who knows bikes. I recommend checking headset bearings and wheel hubs for lack of factory grease and proper adjustment. Eiher way.enjoy!

I've read that about making sure it is greased properly. I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person, and very willing to research how to do something correctly. It may be a learning process and take me longer than others, but at least i learn something new.

WI. Big Boy MTBer

I've read that about making sure it is greased properly. I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person, and very willing to research how to do something correctly. It may be a learning process and take me longer than others, but at least i learn something new.
    Awesome. Great attitude!