mtbr member
    Sep 2008

About to Purchase Motobecane

I am a casual rider and will upgrade my 10+ year old Diamond Back with a Motobecane HT700. I have a Cycle Spectrum shop nearby, however the frame size I need isn't in stock. Because of this, I am considering purchasing off of the BD website. I've read various threads stating that BD bikes had to totally be rebuild to "I spent 20 minutes putting a parts on" and went out to ride. I would like to hear more about how well the bike was prepared coming from the distribution warehouse, was it tuned by the assembler? Was there quality control to make sure the bearings had grease, etc? I can handle basic wrenching, however from what I've read; it appears that there is an art form to tuning a bike, not just turning a few screws until the chain shifts gears smoothly. What support from the local Cycle Spectrum shop can I expect if I buy the bike of the web site?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    To get it *perfect* before riding, you may have to adjust the derailers and tighten some spokes. The derailers are easy (you get the mfg documentation). I'm going to have an LBS do the wheels, but I've been riding on them for a few months as they aren't that bad OOTB. I didn't check any bearings for grease, but everything is smooth and quiet. Bottom line is I think you can ride, until you have time to have an LBS do the stuff you can't.

P

Space for rent...
    Out of box, there is very little assembly required (wheels/saddle/stem). However, you will need to go over everything to make sure things are tight and installed/working correctly. You should also be comfortable setting both derailleurs as well as adjusting the brakes. If you can't do these things, you should probably take it to a shop to have it done.
    It's only pain......

Former Bike Wrench
    Being an ex bicycle mechanic...I am admittedly anal about my builds

The bicycles come in Dealer ready condition...they have not been touched by BD since they were put into a box in Asia

They are in rideable condition for most after minor assembly...BUT
    -Wheels with loose bearing hubs will surely be light on grease and should be adjusted correctly. Improperly adjusted hubs (usually too tight) will prematurely wear out.
    -Wheels are machine built and probably have not been hand trued and tensioned (some of the high end Vuelta wheels probably have). Again, probably rideable but having them properly tensioned and trued will provide a longer lifespan...short of abuse or accidents.
    -Bottom bracket and crankset is probably installed with little or no grease on the threads and spindles (if applicable). Using grease or anti-seize will make future removal easier and prevent creaking. Depending on the type of crankset, having them properly torqued will prevent problems down the trail (such as a crankarm falling off 5 miles from the trailhead).
    -Adjustments to brakes, headset, suspension, and derailleurs are probably doable for most with some mechanical ability...but of course improper set up can be a safety issue (brakes especially) so make sure you know what your doing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why wouldn't you have Cycle Spectrum order one, or wait for the next model year when your size will be available?

Then, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I probably spent more time assembling my Moto than I needed to, but to me it's all part of getting to know the mechanical aspects of the bike. I like that. For me, it makes problems are easier to fix when they pop up later on.

If you're not the type that wants to get to know the bike, have Cycle Spectrum take care of it for you.

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a Motobecane Fantom 29. I only had to do basic assembly and had no real problems. I have been documenting my experience with the bike in a blog. See
    http://motobecanefantom29.blogspot.com/
    The assembly are in the first few entries.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for everyone’s response; I bought the Motobecane 700HT from Cycle Spectrum. I am very pleased with the bike, after riding a couple of time, this bike is a big upgrade over my DB. The components all work well and it is a joy to ride. Some of the small hill climes I dreaded before are now are just a bump along the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    MPG. Thanks for your blog. It was very helpful in determining my Fantom29Pro purchase. You had some really useful info on there.
    Last edited by jagsr71; 10-13-2008 at 10:23 PM.

mpg
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    jagsr71: I am glad my blog helped. Enjoy your Fantom 29 Pro!

mtbr member
    Any Fly reviews?