mtbr member
    Jan 2009

8 speed vrs 9 speed set up

Ive been doing a little upgrading on my Fantom. My 8 speed cassette is about worn out and needs to be replaced. Question is, since I'm replacing it anyway, should I just go to a 9 speed set up or is there not that much of a performance difference between the two.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Not much performance between the two. the gears can still be 11-34. you will be missing the 27 or 28. 8 speed will be lighter. If you go with nine speed, then you will probably need new shifters, possibly new derailleurs if not already compatible with 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ok, thanks, Ill just stick with the 8 speed then.

mtbr member
    Like Milo said there isn't much performance difference. The real reason these days to go 9spd is that that there aren't many mid-level 8spd components any more and there are no top-of-the-line 8spd components at all

If you don't feel the urge for fancy components then 8spd is still great

bi-winning
    yeah, it's tough to get a hold of anything better than an alivio shifter in 8 speed.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Get a shimano XT 8 spd cassette

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys, Im gonna get the shimano 8 speed cassette and maybe some sram attack shifters and hold out as long as I can.