mtbr member
    Jul 2008

700s and the Newb

i've read through MTBR up and down. and have read that HT are better than FS for the money.

i am undecided between the 700ds and 700th, as far a the specs go they seem to be identical other than the frame and rear derailleur, and about 100 less for the 700HT. oh oh and i guess the 700DS looks "cooler"

last time i had a bike was in 99 and for 3 months(stolen:-\)
    so my question is is the DS that much beter than the HT for $100 more, and is it worth it?

btw have a torn ACL, so i won't be doing any real mountain biking any time soon.
    TIA!!!

Frame 7005 Aluminum fully active dual suspensionwith replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 4 inch rear travel with AXIS REAR LOCKOUT SHOCK for the 700DS
    Frame 7005 Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY with replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses for the 700HT
    Fork RockShox DART 2 100mm TRAVEL - adjustable
    Crankset TruVativ 5D Aluminum Triple 22/32/42T 175mm
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
    Pedals ATB Beartrap
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore Mega 9
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Long Cage (Shimano Deore XT Long Cage on the 700ht)
    Shifters Shimano Deore Mega 9 Speed STI Triggershift Pods (27 speeds total)
    Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 11-32T 9 Speed Hyperglide
    Chain 9 Speed Z9000 Super Narrow
    Hubs M-Wing DiscSpecific Aluminum (black)
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims WEINMANN SP-17 - Double Wall Aluminum CNC sidewalls
    Tires WTB Velociraptor Blackwall 26 x 2.10
    Brakes TEKTRO AQUILA Mechanical Disc Brakes
    Brake Levers TEKTRO for Disc
    Headset Tioga Alchemy Ahead Threadless Sealed 1.125 inch
    Handlebar M-Wing Comp Aluminum Riser
    Stem M-Wing Comp Threadless Aluminum 1.125 inch
    Tape/Grip WTB Black Palm Pillow
    Saddle WTB Speed V with comfort groove
    Seat Post M-Wing Aluminum Micro-Adjust
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR

mtbr member
    May 2008
    700DS has 3'' of rear travel, not 4''. Where did you get that info ?

Choosing a bike, you need to ask yourself: What type of riding you do ? How much you wanna spend max. ?

700DS is an entry level FS bike with outdated rear suspension design (I am also beginner, this is just my opinion based on other posts) , so quite a few people will prefer HT over 700DS (a little lighter and you get more for the money). If you really want a FS bike, but dont want to spend 1k on Fantom Comp DS, then 700DS is a good choice. I have 700DS myself. Sometimes I wish I bought Fantom DS but it is MORE money and since I am a beginner, I doubt I need 1k Fantom for at least another year

ps. did anyone notice there are 2009s 700DS on website now. Price is $660. Although, I dont see any changes ?
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 07-24-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k
    700DS has 3'' of rear travel, not 4''. Where did you get that info ?

ps. did anyone notice there are 2009s 700DS on website now. Price is $660. Although, I dont see any changes ?
    Yep, even after I replaced the rear spring I still hadn't spent $500. Nothing touched it for the components at that price range that I found. Great bang for the buck price IMO. At $660 I probably would have gotten something else. Glad I got under the wire.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First let me say that there are a lot of people on here with the 700DS and they love them. But I personally would take a hardtail over this suspension design. It is a dated design and if you go look at a Walmart full suspension bike it will look very similar (but the quality of the 700DS is far superior to anything in Walmart so I am not saying it is the same as a Walmart bike). I think the Fantom trail is the best deal of the bikes around $600. Mainly because you are getting a really high quality frame, better than the 700HT. So the Fantom Trail is the most upgrade worthy bike. The 700HT has a higher end rear derailler, but I would much rather have the nicer frame on the Fantom, and the Avid brakes on the Fantom are better than the Tektros on the 700HT.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just to add to this last post: I would exclude Fantom Trail DS which is $800, because for only $200 more you can get Comp DS which is superior to Trail DS. So for FS bike I would look at 700DS or Comp DS. You can also check out IBEX bikes (buy complete bike or just buy a frame. 2007s are on discount), you can wait for IBEX 2009 models coming in fall, or you can also go to bikeisland.com and get a sweet deal on Moto Comp DS frame and build the bike yourself.