mtbr member
    Jul 2008

700s and the Newb

i've read through MTBR up and down. and have read that HT are better than FS for the money.

i am undecided between the 700ds and 700th, as far a the specs go they seem to be identical other than the frame and rear derailleur, and about 100 less for the 700HT. oh oh and i guess the 700DS looks "cooler"

last time i had a bike was in 99 and for 3 months(stolen:-\)
    so my question is is the DS that much beter than the HT for $100 more, and is it worth it?

btw have a torn ACL, so i won't be doing any real mountain biking any time soon.
    TIA!!!

Frame 7005 Aluminum fully active dual suspensionwith replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 4 inch rear travel with AXIS REAR LOCKOUT SHOCK for the 700DS
    Frame 7005 Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY with replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses for the 700HT
    Fork RockShox DART 2 100mm TRAVEL - adjustable
    Crankset TruVativ 5D Aluminum Triple 22/32/42T 175mm
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
    Pedals ATB Beartrap
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore Mega 9
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Long Cage (Shimano Deore XT Long Cage on the 700ht)
    Shifters Shimano Deore Mega 9 Speed STI Triggershift Pods (27 speeds total)
    Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 11-32T 9 Speed Hyperglide
    Chain 9 Speed Z9000 Super Narrow
    Hubs M-Wing DiscSpecific Aluminum (black)
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims WEINMANN SP-17 - Double Wall Aluminum CNC sidewalls
    Tires WTB Velociraptor Blackwall 26 x 2.10
    Brakes TEKTRO AQUILA Mechanical Disc Brakes
    Brake Levers TEKTRO for Disc
    Headset Tioga Alchemy Ahead Threadless Sealed 1.125 inch
    Handlebar M-Wing Comp Aluminum Riser
    Stem M-Wing Comp Threadless Aluminum 1.125 inch
    Tape/Grip WTB Black Palm Pillow
    Saddle WTB Speed V with comfort groove
    Seat Post M-Wing Aluminum Micro-Adjust
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR

mtbr member
    May 2008
    700DS has 3'' of rear travel, not 4''. Where did you get that info ?

Choosing a bike, you need to ask yourself: What type of riding you do ? How much you wanna spend max. ?

700DS is an entry level FS bike with outdated rear suspension design (I am also beginner, this is just my opinion based on other posts) , so quite a few people will prefer HT over 700DS (a little lighter and you get more for the money). If you really want a FS bike, but dont want to spend 1k on Fantom Comp DS, then 700DS is a good choice. I have 700DS myself. Sometimes I wish I bought Fantom DS but it is MORE money and since I am a beginner, I doubt I need 1k Fantom for at least another year

ps. did anyone notice there are 2009s 700DS on website now. Price is $660. Although, I dont see any changes ?
    Last edited by kolyan2k; 07-24-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by kolyan2k
    700DS has 3'' of rear travel, not 4''. Where did you get that info ?

ps. did anyone notice there are 2009s 700DS on website now. Price is $660. Although, I dont see any changes ?
    Yep, even after I replaced the rear spring I still hadn't spent $500. Nothing touched it for the components at that price range that I found. Great bang for the buck price IMO. At $660 I probably would have gotten something else. Glad I got under the wire.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First let me say that there are a lot of people on here with the 700DS and they love them. But I personally would take a hardtail over this suspension design. It is a dated design and if you go look at a Walmart full suspension bike it will look very similar (but the quality of the 700DS is far superior to anything in Walmart so I am not saying it is the same as a Walmart bike). I think the Fantom trail is the best deal of the bikes around $600. Mainly because you are getting a really high quality frame, better than the 700HT. So the Fantom Trail is the most upgrade worthy bike. The 700HT has a higher end rear derailler, but I would much rather have the nicer frame on the Fantom, and the Avid brakes on the Fantom are better than the Tektros on the 700HT.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just to add to this last post: I would exclude Fantom Trail DS which is $800, because for only $200 more you can get Comp DS which is superior to Trail DS. So for FS bike I would look at 700DS or Comp DS. You can also check out IBEX bikes (buy complete bike or just buy a frame. 2007s are on discount), you can wait for IBEX 2009 models coming in fall, or you can also go to bikeisland.com and get a sweet deal on Moto Comp DS frame and build the bike yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0