mtbr member
    Aug 2008

700 HT vs 700 DS vs X?

Hello everyone,

Looking to get back into biking and would like a quality, reliable mountain bike to ride... Was looking only to budget ~ $400 till I found out that wouldn't get me the quality of bike I was looking for; I can up my budget to around $600 - $650 if its worth it but think I'd be happy with the 700 HT that I noticed for $530...

Did some research the past few days and these two [MotoB 700 HT & 700 DS] stood out in terms of the quality of components, style & reputation. My biking would be mostly be on dirt/grassy/paved trails in addition to back roads. Not many hills let alone mountains around where I live....

Questions:

1. The big difference between the two is the 700 DS is dual shock while the 700 HT is a hard tail [no rear shocks]. What would dual shocks offer me? Any other significant differences between the two models?

2. Size... I'm 6'0", 33" inseam... Any advice on size? Probably down to 19" or 21"?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bushwacker
    There's a couple other threads on this already but considering your intended usage, the 700HT would be the way to go. The components are identical less the rear shock. For $75 less you might want to check out the Windsor Cliff 4900 for $449. Same components except the brakes. The Tektro Aquila's on the HT are better than the IO's on the 4900 since they are more adjustable.

19 inch fits most up to 6'0" (standover clearance = 30.5")
    20.5 inch fits most up to 6'2 (standover clearance = 32")
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You might also consider the Fantom Trail which will give you a lockout on the shock and a good set of Avid brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah, I would buy Fantom Trail or just purchase the frame you like from bikeisland.com and built the bike yourself. Unless you need or want Dual Suspension bike, Front Suspension would make more sense. I personally prefer DS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    For your intended riding a hardtail is what you need. A full suspension is overkill and will be inefficient if you are not riding over technical terrain. I agree with the above posters. For anyone with about a $600 budget I would recommend the Fantom Trail. The reason is that the Fantom trail has a pro level frame and much nicer Avid BB5 brakes. So if you decide you really want to get into some hardcore mountian biking the frame is ready for upgrades.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    For your intended riding a hardtail is what you need. A full suspension is overkill and will be inefficient if you are not riding over technical terrain. I agree with the above posters. For anyone with about a $600 budget I would recommend the Fantom Trail. The reason is that the Fantom trail has a pro level frame and much nicer Avid BB5 brakes. So if you decide you really want to get into some hardcore mountian biking the frame is ready for upgrades.
    I'm glad you guys recognize that Motos are good bikes. I just started a thread asking why Moto gets such a bad rap, but got no replies yet.I guess it's a status thing.I say...Why spend more money than you have to? As long as I'm in need, I need to save money. You can't beat Moto's deals on many occasions.Let that be known. Maybe if more people buy them, the big companies will comply.I bought a Fantom29 frame from bikeisland.com for $119 that look identical to a Cannondale frame costing much more money at a LBS.Only the decals wrer different.(check Cannondales' 2008 line-up and look at the 29er with the standard 2-legged fork).I'm not company loyal.Why spend more than you have to?

Bushwacker
    The Fantom Trail Is $800 and Wolverine says his max budget is $650. I guess if his budget is actually $800 than the Fantom is the way to go.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    I'm glad you guys recognize that Motos are good bikes. I just started a thread asking why Moto gets such a bad rap, but got no replies yet.I guess it's a status thing.I say...Why spend more money than you have to? As long as I'm in need, I need to save money. You can't beat Moto's deals on many occasions.Let that be known. Maybe if more people buy them, the big companies will comply.I bought a Fantom29 frame from bikeisland.com for $119 that look identical to a Cannondale frame costing much more money at a LBS.Only the decals wrer different.(check Cannondales' 2008 line-up and look at the 29er with the standard 2-legged fork).I'm not company loyal.Why spend more than you have to?
    I think people never want to admit they may have over paid for something so they say negative things to make themselves feel better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    The Fantom Trail Is $800 and Wolverine says his max budget is $650. I guess if his budget is actually $800 than the Fantom is the way to go.
    I was thinking he'd buy the Fantom Trail which is $595, I believe the Fantom Comp is $800.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by Takedown
    I was thinking he'd buy the Fantom Trail which is $595, I believe the Fantom Comp is $800.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

Your right...I missed that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I think people never want to admit they may have over paid for something so they say negative things to make themselves feel better.

You are correct sir.Motos frames are made by Kinesis one of the largest frame builders in Taiwan and they also have a plant in Portland OR.They make frames for several very reputable companies including Trek,Kona and Felt just to name a few so don't let anyone get you down about getting a Moto because you saved a ton of money.I almost bought a Fantom Elite DS but ended up getting a Mongoose Canaan Team frame because I liked the rear shock better.Mongoose is another brand that get's abused a bit because of the dept. store crap that Pacific/Dorel puts out,still not as bad as Moto gets abused.