mtbr member
    May 2007

600HT / 700HT/ Fantom29er

well, I had full intentions on ordering the Fantom Trail, but it's sold out. I'm looking towards the 600HT(which would give me room to go ahead and start some modifications out the box), 700HT which I would ride how it was, and the Fantom 29er. I've never riden a 29er and have heard nothing but Pros from owners who have made the switch.

I normally ride XC, but have been doing some single track... which is why I'm upgrading to get a fork(currently riding a rigid) and disc brakes.

I'm starting to have a WW mindset, and I see the 600 and 700ht both are lighter than the Fantoms. Why is this? Are the frames on the 600/700 worth modding?

Owners of these bikes shed some light and post some pictures!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It mainly comes down to your size, riding style and what you will ride most often when deciding on 26 or 29.

29er will ride better and hold momentum on flatter areas such as rail trails and doubletrack. It would also be better if you're a tall. 26er will do better in very tight single track and with jumps and wheelies...

All comes down to what what you want it to do... I do think you will find that most people who try 29ers do not go back to 26ers and I definitly will not.
    26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    I ride a KHS 26" fs and after getting my wife a Fantom 29, my next bike will be a 29 ht as well. Her confidence/willingness to tackle stuff on trails went up dramatically with the smoother ride.