mtbr member
    Sep 2013

5'7" / 30" Inseam -- What Frame Size?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy the Motobecane Fantom 29 Comp and am in between the 13.5" and the 15"...

My inseam (barefoot) is barely 29", with shoes I'd guess 31".

The geometry says the standover height for the 15.5" frame size is 31". But I feel like 15.5" should fit me best seeing as how the sizing guide suggests 15.5" - 5'7" to 5'9".

I feel 13.3" is too small for a 5'7".....

Anyone with similar body measurement as me can help out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Hey bobax, finally decided on the fantom comp eh? Good call imo. So I looked at the geometry specs and saw wht you saw. Craziness! Those standover heights are out of hand. I just went through the same thing on my hal6 order, did a ton of research with geo #'s against other bikes and finally ended up going with the size that bd recommended, which in my case is a medium, 44cm (17.3") and I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam. The Hal 6 standover measurements seemed big also as it has a claimed standover of 30". Most of the medium Fs bikes I saw had standovers of 28"! This made me start thinking that the bd numbers were either wrong or measured differently. So then I started looking at top tube numbers and saw that the mediums all had a 600mm top tune and that's what the hal6 medium had so that's why I went with it. Now looking at the geo #s for your bike they do indeed call for you to be on the 15", but then it says it has a 31" standover. Wth!? I thought on mt bikes you were supposed to have at least 2" of room down there. What man at 5'7" has a 33" inseam? I think it's time to send bd an email on this one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cc in Hawaii View Post
    Hey bobax, finally decided on the fantom comp eh? Good call imo. So I looked at the geometry specs and saw wht you saw. Craziness! Those standover heights are out of hand. I just went through the same thing on my hal6 order, did a ton of research with geo #'s against other bikes and finally ended up going with the size that bd recommended, which in my case is a medium, 44cm (17.3") and I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam. The Hal 6 standover measurements seemed big also as it has a claimed standover of 30". Most of the medium Fs bikes I saw had standovers of 28"! This made me start thinking that the bd numbers were either wrong or measured differently. So then I started looking at top tube numbers and saw that the mediums all had a 600mm top tune and that's what the hal6 medium had so that's why I went with it. Now looking at the geo #s for your bike they do indeed call for you to be on the 15", but then it says it has a 31" standover. Wth!? I thought on mt bikes you were supposed to have at least 2" of room down there. What man at 5'7" has a 33" inseam? I think it's time to send bd an email on this one...
    Exactly, I'd like 1-2" standover clearance just in case of emergency. I'll email BD for this one.

Going with the Comp because the Fantom X7 was out of stock for 15" frame. However, if indeed I am supposed to fit 13" frame instead, I may try X7 and see if they have that size in stock. Thanks for replying!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    sizing chart may be different on the X7. Check that out too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm 5'6 with a 31 inseam and I bought the 15" fantom X7 which fits pretty well. Although I did have to raise the seat almost to the minimum insertion line. I wouldn't go for the 13" as that would most likely be way too small. Also there is still some red 15" fantom X7's in stock. They have them somewhat hidden on their site under Shop By Category - 29er Bikes. Also Bike Island has a grey 15" scratch & dent X7 that's still available too for $709. I thought about buying it myself but changed my mind at the last minute.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameo View Post
    I'm 5'6 with a 31 inseam and I bought the 15" fantom X7 which fits pretty well. Although I did have to raise the seat almost to the minimum insertion line. I wouldn't go for the 13" as that would most likely be way too small. Also there is still some red 15" fantom X7's in stock. They have them somewhat hidden on their site under Shop By Category - 29er Bikes. Also Bike Island has a grey 15" scratch & dent X7 that's still available too for $709. I thought about buying it myself but changed my mind at the last minute.
    Thanks Jameo; yep I saw the Bike Island one, and ughhh red isn't really for me...

I just bought a Fantom Comp in matte gray... Ugh that XC30 fork really bothers me ...
    If it was at least Recon Silver I'd suck it up...

Oh well haha I can't wait forever for a bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah I wanted to get a matte grey fantom as well but red works for me also. I wouldn't worry much about the XC30. It still should be much better then the suntours most bikes come with in that price range. Plus with a tapered head tube you can upgrade to something nicer down the line. Really you can't go wrong with either bike. Anyway I hope you like you new bike and remember to post some pics.