Thread: 550ht

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

550ht

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the 550ht? BD is have a sale for $349
    Last edited by dizwikedcbr; 11-15-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Do you mean the 500ht for 370? Yeah, good deal. But you will want to swap out the front derailer and front brake. The fork really isn't too serviceable and is more of a "use and throw" type.
    Is that a good deal? Your call.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Do you mean the 500ht for 370? Yeah, good deal. But you will want to swap out the front derailer and front brake. The fork really isn't too serviceable and is more of a "use and throw" type.
    Is that a good deal? Your call.
    no the 550ht, it a early black friday sale

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Same thing, just lower end group and hydro brakes.
    X4 is slightly less than Alivio but its definitely not deore.
    But you may wish to just swap out the shifters upon arrival with $50 X5 shifters. But that's optional. X4 will take a beating and last quite a while.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Same thing, just lower end group and hydro brakes.
    X4 is slightly less than Alivio but its definitely not deore.
    But you may wish to just swap out the shifters upon arrival with $50 X5 shifters. But that's optional. X4 will take a beating and last quite a while.
    So which would be a better deal?

500ht @ 370 or the 550ht @ 350? Better rear group or hydro brakes?

A friend wants a bike to do light XC with us and I'm thinking of recommending one of these bikes.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    It depends on the rider. A heavier rider would benefit from the added stopping power. But you could replace the front brake on the 500 for fairly cheap. I would say under 160 lbs, then 500 for sure. Over 160 lbs, then I would recommend 500 with a brake upgrade. But the budget may constrict.

Edit: sorry, 180lbs is too much for the novelas, edited to 160.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It depends on the rider. A heavier rider would benefit from the added stopping power. But you could replace the front brake on the 500 for fairly cheap. I would say under 160 lbs, then 500 for sure. Over 160 lbs, then I would recommend 500 with a brake upgrade. But the budget may constrict.

Edit: sorry, 180lbs is too much for the novelas, edited to 160.
    I'll recommend the 550HT then. The rider is 6' 2" and over 160.

Do you know of any better deals than the 550 right now? The bike most likely will not be upgraded for a while so the best bang for your buck is preferred.

Thanks.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Have you considered going used? It is inconvenient but it pays off. The fork on all the bikes in that price range is the XCT. That fork really sucks for a heavy guy. The hydros would be better than the novelas, but only incrementally.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just received an HT550 today that I ordered as a xmas gift for one of my children. I am VERY disappointed with it. It's the matte silver color and it literally looks like some kid painted it with a $2.00 Walmart rattle can. The frame markings are not decals, but are painted on which would be OK if they weren't skewed on the left hand side. Grit in the paint, lots of frame blemishes, and that terrible cheap China smell (the dollar store smell). I had read that Motobecane was made in Taiwan but this bike sure isn't (has made in China on the box and on the frame). It looks like a factory second. Bikesdirect wanted $50 for a shipping label to return it. I called the number on the paypal receipt and spoke with a live body that was helpful but hasn't gotten back to me yet with specifics. Any suggestions on where to find a similar bike for <= $400? Please don't suggest used or bike shop as neither is much of an option in my area. Thanks.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Wow. Sucks man. My paint job looks sexy in matte black. I didn't take the time to smell my bike when I got it, but it smells like dirt now. :thumsbup: Hopefully, yours will too. The painted on decals are amazing. I hate stickers. Anyway, pics please?

If its costing you 50 bucks to ship the bike, why not just have the frame repainted? Though that can cost quite a bit. I'm a fan of polished bikes.
    Or you could pick up another frame, though that'll cost you quite a bit.
    Last edited by sauprankul; 12-04-2012 at 06:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Those seem like petty complaints. Its a $350 bike with better components than most in that price range. Is your kid going to ride the bike or stare at the blemishes in the paint?

Bd is usually good with complaints. They gave me $40 back when a bike i ordered from them arrived scratched.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Does anybody know how much it costs to polish and clear coat a frame?
    If its around 60 to 70 bucks, it may be worth it.
    PICS please. Then we will tell you if the money is worth it.
    Last edited by sauprankul; 12-04-2012 at 06:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    May seem petty, but I based part of the purchase decision on a few hours worth of reading forum posts (primarily mtbr.com) about Motobecane. The finish quality of this bike is not equal to that of a bike shop bike, or my previous online experience for that matter. I purchased a bike for myself this last spring from Nashbar.com and the bike was excellent quality (Mongoose Tyax). For some it doesn't matter - I guess that's where bikedirect's affiliate bikeisland comes in. Others like myself would expect something with better quality control and finish than a $125 department store bike. To each his own. I posted so that others would know what to expect with at least this series of Motobecane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 550ht-img-20121204-00615.jpg  

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Your case is nothing to "expect" out of BD or the HT series, merely a possibility. It just so happens than an effective way of cutting down on costs is to skimp on QC.
    HOWEVER, either I'm blind, the pic is bad, or there is no noticable blemish.

EDIT: Looked closer, and i guess the letters are a bit squiggly, but nothing worth fussing over, unless the picture is not an appropriate reflection of the magnitude of squiggliness.
    there is also a tiny something above the 'A' in motobecAne. dunno if that's a blemish or not.

And matte silver? I would NEVER EVER buy anything in that color. Silver is supposed to be lustrous color. Trying to PAINT something matte silver is just not smart. Polished and anodized are the only way to go for silver, IMHO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    To me and an employee it was quickly obvious - we must be too picky! The last few letters in "Motobecane" have skewed edges. As for the grit and blemishes, I'm apparently used to higher quality than what is normal these days. I can say that I've personally never seen any new bike with this poor finish quality, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vsmi View Post
    I just received an HT550 today that I ordered as a xmas gift for one of my children. I am VERY disappointed with it. It's the matte silver color and it literally looks like some kid painted it with a $2.00 Walmart rattle can. The frame markings are not decals, but are painted on which would be OK if they weren't skewed on the left hand side. Grit in the paint, lots of frame blemishes, and that terrible cheap China smell (the dollar store smell). I had read that Motobecane was made in Taiwan but this bike sure isn't (has made in China on the box and on the frame). It looks like a factory second. Bikesdirect wanted $50 for a shipping label to return it. I called the number on the paypal receipt and spoke with a live body that was helpful but hasn't gotten back to me yet with specifics. Any suggestions on where to find a similar bike for <= $400? Please don't suggest used or bike shop as neither is much of an option in my area. Thanks.
    have you look at the airborne skyhawk, it $349 with free freight, maybe tax depending where it shipped to, they dont come with pedals however most people change out to better pedals

Airborne Bicycles. Skyhawk

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ya, squiggly is a better word - dizwikedcbr, thanks for the link! I'm gonna check it out.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    If BD is offering to replace the bike for 50 bucks, that should be a good option. But you'll have to find a way to re pack the bike safely. There's a POSSIBILITY that you'll end up with another bad frame, or some other defect/damage. Very slim, but there are horror stories out there.
    The coolest option would be to strip, polish or sandblast and clearcoat the frame. That should cost around 70 bucks, and you'll have a WAY better looking bike, not to mention that a raw finish is lighter and more durable. All of BD's best bikes are polished/sand blasted.
    +1 on the Airborne, esp if you want a good paint job.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vsmi View Post
    To me and an employee it was quickly obvious - we must be too picky! The last few letters in "Motobecane" have skewed edges. As for the grit and blemishes, I'm apparently used to higher quality than what is normal these days. I can say that I've personally never seen any new bike with this poor finish quality, though.
    For the price i really can't understand why you are complaining over some graphics. You paid for a Kia but expect BMW quality?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    hadeone, you've already made your point - i'm apparently petty. For those that are "petty" and Kia buyers, don't buy Motobecane - you won't be pleased with the quality.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    No, BD makes quality stuff. It's just that they don't advertise (as much), they provide less warranty, they hire fewer people, they don't have showrooms and they use off the shelf parts.
    Nothing that should make you think they make bad stuff. You just got unlucky.

Don't advise people not to buy BD, but let them interpret your story as they wish.

Anyway, you are stuck with a cosmetically blemished bike.
    You have a few options:
    a) Return it to BD, and let them send you a new one. - $50
    b) have the bike repainted - $60-$70
    c) Get a new frame, strip the current one and sell it - $200 - $50 = $150
    d) Suck it up, cover it with dirt and scratches - priceless

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    A quick update - BD took care of things in the end and I'm OK with the outcome given the circumstances. The Airborne linked above is also a great deal right now - the Skyhawk's smallest frame wasn't small enough though.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Did they ask you to return the bike? Did they charge you shipping?
    Or what?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    They emailed me a return shipping label so I would not have had to pay return shipping. I was going to exchange the bike but they didn't have anything in stock in my price range (nor did anyone else), so they knocked some off the price and I kept the bike. I have a guy that's made me some decals before so I'm gonna see if he can come up with something kool.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    So BD paid you enough to pay for a repaint, is that correct?
    Seems good to me, and the most efficient solution too!
    Be sure to post pics of the custom paint after its done!