mtbr member

400DS rear shock = turd

I have been working on my wife's 400DS recently, the rear shock is so stiff it's like riding a hard tail. I took the shock off to replace the spring and when I got the old spring off I noticed the shock has no rebound, nothing, just an empty cylinder. I went ahead and put the softer spring I had on the shock just to see if it would give her some suspension and it does but it also will throw you over the bars with no rebound.
    I am going to replace the shock and was wondering what kind of shock to put on it, she weighs about 140 and is 5' 10" tall. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Bushwacker
    How much do you want to spend?
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    I would like to keep it under $100,(around fifty would be nice) I need a shock 6.5", I looked on Ebay and there wasnt a huge selection. She wants a fairly plush ride. She rides fast but doesnt hit anything too rough. She has been getting more confident though.
    I looked at a few websites and couldn't find anything reasonable.

mtbr member
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29917

I have no idea what mounting hardware you would need.

banned
    One of those things where you have to know what you're buying. That should be expected with that part. WHat was the claimed value of the bike in the BD ad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    One of those things where you have to know what you're buying. That should be expected with that part. WHat was the claimed value of the bike in the BD ad?
    It looks like the lower end of the bikesdirect lineup is not such a great deal as their top end.

Still pretty good, but it is quite hard to fit full suspension under $500.

Author should have bought 600DS for that extra $100. Somewhat better shock and fork.

mtbr member
    My wife bought it, I tried to upgrade the order to the 600DS but it had already shipped by the time I found out she bought it. I have already replaced the fork, wheels, brakes, cassette, chain, stem, bars, grips, post, seat. She got a lot of parts I took off my bike so it didnt cost to much to make it better than the 600DS. All that's left is the rear shock. I was surprised it had no rebound in the shock, I guess that's why it came with such a nearly solid rear spring. It's actually a pretty nice little ride now,

banned
    "Our low price is $429.95 Compare at $895"

Bushwacker
    $50 is a low price point. If you stay with a coil shock I wouldn't go higher than a 450lb spring. Keep checking E-bay and search "rockshox shock". I recently picked up a new RS MC 3.3 for under $100 on e-bay...incredible deal. Air is the way to go IMO.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=29917

I have no idea what mounting hardware you would need.

I noticed you point to ChainReaction cycles a lot, do they convert from pounds to dollars and ship to the U.S>?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by milo8172
    I noticed you point to ChainReaction cycles a lot, do they convert from pounds to dollars and ship to the U.S>?
    I found them to be a reliable shop with good prices and delivery. They charge my credit card in pounds at whatever conversion rate is at the moment and shipping to US is free for orders above around $230. You also do not pay their VAT, or what ever that tax is called.

I also point to them as they have a well designed web site for an online store, so it is easy to find what you are talking about.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's cool. Best to purchase over $230 then. good to know.

Motobey
    there were no dampers inside the shock?
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    there were no dampers inside the shock?
    Not surprising on low-end shocks. Under $100 makes it tough...

mtbr member
    There was nothing in the shock except a washer and a nut to hold it on the shaft. I dont think the shock was really meant to move at all, the spring is so ridged I couldn't get it to depress unless I jumped on the bike as hard as I could, even then it would only compress about 1/4 inch. It is completely useless. I put a lighter spring on it but now it is dangerous because when it rebounds it does so very fast and literally will throw you over the handle bars. The shock is going in the trash as soon as I get a new one.

banned
    The magic of Bikes Direct. The value was $895, though!

mtbr member
    The magic of Bikes Direct. The value was $895, though!
    Can you name many full suspension bikes with MSRP around $900 that do not suck?

In any case, with the few dealings with Bikes direct I have had I learned to hold my nose and ignore the smell of marketing write-ups on their web site. They seriously need somebody with a clue about web design and writing to go over that thing.

They got good deals on fixies and top-end hardtails, like my fixie and my Fly Ti team...

banned
    actually, there are several. They are truly entry level if FS, though with an actual damped shock, though usually not so great or brand name, but not adjustable, and I often give advice that one can get a real mtb at that price if they go hardtail, with a true suspension fork and other better componentry and framework.

It surprises me that someone is so surprised that they put something on that is only the facade of a shock for 400 bucks, while they think there are no catches to Bikes Direct.

mtbr member
    They are truly entry level if FS, though with an actual damped shock,
    Looking at KHS XC 104 (MSRP $869) - inludes "Tough Shock FDR alloy body, floating piston, rebound & preload adjustable". I am not sure it is much better...

From there web site - about another shock model:

SDH stands for Spring damping for Downhill. This shock comes wit a standard spring damping system internally and a piggyback for visual enhancement of your bicycle.