mtbr member
    Mar 2012

400DS.....need advice on suspension...

I just bought a 400DS from bikeisland.com. It had no front shocks and a replacement stem rotor and pedals....all "equivalent".

Anyway, i haven't road in many years and wont be doing anything serious so I figured I would get decent shocks and replace the rear as well.......which brings me to my question; does anyone know the length of the stock rear coilover shock? I would like to have a replacement here when the bike arrives. Also, what size front fork should I purchase....I know is is 1 1/8 but what length of travel? I really do not know much about this stuff. I was going to buy a Rock Shox Dart 3 as they were under $100 bucks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The 400DS uses the same frame as the 700DS, so check out this thread.

Rear shock options for Motobecane 700DS

As far as fork, I would not go over 100mm travel.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    thanks, I will check it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, got a X Fusion Velour R Fork for the front. Hopefully, it works out well.

I think i am going to wait on the rear. I am 220lbs and want to feel how much give that rear spring has before I buy something else.

Everything should be here on Friday so once I set it up, I will report.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mran View Post
    Well, got a X Fusion Velour R Fork for the front. Hopefully, it works out well.

I think i am going to wait on the rear. I am 220lbs and want to feel how much give that rear spring has before I buy something else.

Everything should be here on Friday so once I set it up, I will report.

Thanks
    The rear spring will have almost no "give". Since it is a simple single pivot design they set it up with a super stiff spring to eliminate bob. Unfortunately it pretty much eliminates all rear wheel movement. In order to actually use the rear suspension you need an air shock with platform damping.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    The rear spring will have almost no "give". Since it is a simple single pivot design they set it up with a super stiff spring to eliminate bob. Unfortunately it pretty much eliminates all rear wheel movement. In order to actually use the rear suspension you need an air shock with platform damping.
    Thanks. I bought a Fox Float RL off ebay......Fork came i today...bike tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Honestly, I have to say I am actually very pleased with the rear suspension in combo with my weight.I wen t riding on Sunday and it was more than adequate. It kept the back tire planted and absorbed what it could.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have the 600DS and had the same problem as a 180lb rider. I bought a Rockshox Ario RL that works perfectly, new on EBay for pretty cheap. You'll need new hardware as well. 1/2" 8mm x 21.8mm spacers is what I had to order. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just bought the new 500DS from B.D., and switched the rear shock to a 2010 Fox RP23, 6 x 1.25". The bushings were compatible, so it took about 5 minutes to make the switch. I bought it online from Art's Cyclery, in the Sale Section for $174.00, and it made a huge difference.

Also, got 15% off at checkout from a Internet Promo Code, "SAVE15"