Thread: 400 Ds

mtbr member
    May 2008

Idea! 400 Ds

Hi everybody ,
    My girlfriend and I will be getting our 400 DS's on Thursday and will be dropping them off at Performance Bike in Santa Monica CA to have them tuned up ... I hear that although the frames are good, there are certain components that are weak. What parts do you suggest we replace right away. She is 5'6" 105 lbs. and I am 6'3" 220 lbs we will not be doing any hard core ridding. We are going to ride mainly in town and on bike trails. I am concerned that my weight not brake anything and I would like my girlfriend to upgrade for endurance of the parts and for making her bike lighter.Thanks in advance.

Cheers J.T. & Tania

mtbr member
    May 2008
    We have not gone bike riding since the 80's .... So i am not to sure what to upgrade
    Parts List

Frame 7005 Aluminum fully active dual suspensionwith replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 4 inch rear travel with KS coil over rear shock
    Fork RST CAPA T7 80mm TRAVEL - adjustable
    Crankset TruVativ Aluminum Triple 22/32/42T 175mm
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
    Pedals ATB Beartrap
    Front Derailleur Shimano Acera
    Rear Derailleur Shimano ALIVIO Long Cage
    Shifters Shimano Acera 8 Speed STI Triggershift (24 speeds total)
    Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 12-28T 8 Speed Hyperglide
    Chain 8 Speed Z72 Narrow
    Hubs M-Wing DiscSpecific Aluminum (black)
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims WEINMANN SP-17 - Double Wall Aluminum CNC sidewalls
    Tires WTB Velociraptor Blackwall 26 x 2.10
    Brakes TEKTRO IO Mechanical Disc Brakes
    Brake Levers SHIMANO for Disc
    Headset Tioga Alchemy Ahead Threadless Sealed 1.125 inch
    Handlebar M-Wing Comp Aluminum Riser
    Stem M-Wing Comp Threadless Aluminum 1.125 inch
    Tape/Grip WTB Black Palm Pillow
    Saddle WTB Speed V with comfort groove
    Seat Post M-Wing Aluminum Micro-Adjust
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR

Bushwacker
    You'll probably want to swap in a 500lb spring for her and a 600lb for you on the rear. Aside from that, considering your intended usage, why would you want to dump a lot of cash for minimal weight losses? The bikes should be plenty durable as is for around town type riding. If you don't like the way it shifts or brakes, only then would I consider dropping dough on higher end components. Rather, upgrade to better stuff when things wear out. IMO, if you were to drop a lot of cash on higher end parts now, you would have been better served to buy a higher end bike to begin with. Just go enjoy the bike as is.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you for your reply. We appreciate your thoughts on this.You have reassured us that the parts aren't that bad and It makes total sense to wait for them to wear out before upgrading.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I totally agree with stark, the parts are good enough for casual riding. I do have rear shock spring dimensions if you want to swap them out. Just let me know. I'm weigh 195 and a 500lb spring is perfect, maybe a 550lb would be better for me but the 500lb does the job ( KS shock has rebound / lockout selector) . For your G-friend I would go lower, maybe a 350-400lb. As stark recommended a 600 sounds right for your weight.
    Last edited by AGENT_DICE; 05-26-2008 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT_DICE
    I totally agree with stark, the parts are good enough for casual riding. I do have rear shock spring dimensions if you want to swap them out. Just let me know. I'm weigh 195 and a 500lb spring is perfect, maybe a 550lb would be better for me but the 500lb does the job ( KS shock has dampening/ lockout selector) . For your G-friend I would go lower, maybe a 350-400lb. As stark recommended a 600 sounds right for your weight.
    Thanks Dice
    It would be great if you could give me the rear shock spring dimensions ..... So a 350lb for Tania and 600lb for me... any place that I should look for the springs?

Cheers J.T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Okay, The dimensions are 3.75 in. long x 1.25 inside diameter x 1.875 outside diameter. I ended up getting one on ebay but it was just a tad bit bigger on the I.D. and O.D.....So I looked around and found a Fox spring here http://webmountainbike.stores.yahoo....ilsprings.html when you order your spring just type in pounds x travel (600 x 1.5) what you get is a Fox Coil Spring 3.5 in long x 1.25 x 1.875 which is way better. It takes around 1 week and a half to get it. Just tell him you want the same as order " webmountainbike-5467 ".

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I agree. Swap the shock in the rear out and be done with it.