mtbr member
    Jun 2010

300HT Replacement drivetrain reccomendations

I have a ~5 year old 300HT. Parts are mostly worn or have been replaced by cheapest parts available(tourney or china brand). It is mostly used for commuting bike and I have decided to upgrade some parts. Recommendations would be helpful if you think not needed or should use another part. Should I stick with xt or would lx be ok?

So far have purchased:
    rear derailleur 9spd Shimano xtr (have tournet)
    shimano xt 9 spd shifters\ brake handle (have cracked stock ones)

and intend to purchase:
    shimano xt 9 speed cassette ( have worn 7spd sram)
    shimano xt v brakes ( have $5 china ones current)
    shimano xt chain( currently have $10 unknown brand one)

Chainrings show wear and not sure if I should upgrade crank to match other parts or if new rings would be good enough.

AZ
    banned
    Your going to have to upgrade wheels in order to run 9 speed . At this point it would be cheaper to upgrade the whole bike with a new one . My two cents .

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That bike is not worth upgarding, especially considering how cheap Motos are to start with. It would be cheaper to upgrade to a better Moto like a 700ht.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Return/sell your parts. Buy a new bike. Donate the old one to someone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Forgot to mention that I already have replaced wheels with sun rims with delore hubs. Would you guys still recommend replacing the bike? I would be replacing everything but the frame and fork for ~$250-300 with deore xt. The 700ht is around $400 if you factor selling my bike for $100 or so and appears to have the same frame but better fork and deore,slx and xt components.

S*it Happens!
    If you have all the money in hand…I say, just get a new bike. The 09 700Ht is on sale $449 and it looks like you are just loosing out on a fork lockout when compared to the 2010 700HT.

Just my
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Unless you find crazy good clearance type prices, buying components separately will cost much more. Your list of components to buy is likely going to cost you at least another $150 IF you find great prices on them.

Add your derailleur and shifters in and you are over $300, not counting the wheelset you bought.

Considering your old RST fork that already has 5 years on it, and everything is pointing towards REPLACE the bike in its entirety.

IF you want to stick with your current ride, I would really suggest buying clearance model Deore level componentry to extend the life of the bike until you are ready to buy a new one. Deore can be had for FAR cheaper and still give you solid 9-sp shifting. Better yet, try to find some used Deore stuff for virtually no cost!