Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 29point4

mtbr member
    May 2010

29point4

Hi all, I am in the market for a new 29er hardtail, and the 29point4 has caught my eye, and it almost seems too good to be true...I'm having a hard time seeing what's wrong with it (aside from the fact the frame is a bit homely)! Is there anything I am missing? Has anybody ridden one of these things, and what do they think about it?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...y/29point4.htm

The other bike I am considering is a bit more expensive, the Sette Razzo 2.0. It's got a mostly similar kit, although equipped with a nicer fork (Reba vs Recon), nicer brakes (Elixir CR vs 3), nicer crankset (Truativ Stylo 3.3 vs WSA comet...no reviews?) and nicer wheelset (Mavic 719s versus WTB speed disc). The problem is that it's effectively $600 more (I also need to pay shipping and tax), and I'm wondering how much these things will really positively improve the ride.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/219...X7_X9-Bike.htm

Thanks!

mtbr member
    You might as well compare the Sette Razo 2.0 to the Gravity 29 Point 5
    Unless you really don't want a black frame.

My two cents = a vote for the Gravity 29 Point 5

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The biggest thing I'm worried about with the Gravity29 is the wheelset...it doesn't have great reviews, where the 719s on the Sette seem to have a stellar review. The crankset of the 29point5 has bad reviews as well versus the Truativ on the Sette, and the one on the 29point4 is cheaper. I don't think that the ride quality on the Recon vs Reba is that big of a difference (although the ~1lb lighter Reba would be nice) and brakes are similar enough. So the 29point5 doesn't seem like worth the upgrade from the 29point4, but the Sette might be.

mtbr member
    The Sette is nice. Price-wise really need to compare more to the Fantom 29PRO. Of course the wheel set may still be a problem.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    I'm not as meticulous as you are in the components (perhaps I should have been... time will tell). I'm glad you pointed out the differences and if you do get the Sette I hope to read your reviews in the future.

If you are a guy who easily catches "upgrade fever" then just get the Gravity 29Point4.
    You'll end up swapping the parts to suit you better anyway. Then at least you will have a spare wheelset sitting around.

But if you are planning on making this a "one big purchase" and then not look back... Get the Sette. If it's already got the stuff you want at least you won't think... "I should have" in the future.

My shopping philosophy is "Always aim higher but make sure to land in my budget." So if you can budget $1299.98+ for the Sette then that should be your steed.

I can't give you the reviews you are looking for the 29Point5 components because I don't ride hard or far. I dream about epic trail rides but haven't been able to get out at all. I'm all street riding and light paths for now. So all I can say is that the components of the 29Point5 work. The whole bike works. It's great for the price.

I went for the Gravity vs. Fantom 29Pro for two reasons...
    1) According to the threads here the Gravity's geometry is very similar to Gary Fisher. The Fantom 29Pro has had some good reviews, but the "likeness" in the geometry was the bait I took. It was easier for me to size the GF and apply it to the Gravity. I was worried about getting the proper frame size because I'm 5'10.5", 185lbs an with a 31" inseam. So I fall in between medium & large frames. The 17.5" fits me well and I don't regret.
    2) The 2011 Fantom 29Pro SL $995.95 and the 2011 Fantom 29Pro $1195.95 did not have my frame size in stock.
    Last edited by Xtyling; 05-09-2011 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    17.5 seems small for your size Xtyling. Your measurements on a Fisher would put you on a 19' and since Moto is very similar 17.5 seems small

mtbr member
    Yes, I am also surprised with my size and fit for the bike. I went to my LBS and paid for the service of a "professional fit". They used a bunch of gadgets to measure me and then plugged it into an online fit calculator and gave me results for 3 different bike setups.

1) for mountain bike.. they said I was a 16/17 (no bike brand mentioned)
    2) for road racing sport bike... they said I was a medium for a Spirit, 54 for a Trek and medium 51 for a BMC
    3) for a time trial/triathlon bike... they said I would fit a medium 52 Ceepo

I have all the print outs and was skeptical at first. But after riding the bike I kind of understand why. I'm not very flexible with my spine. I'm rather new (renewed) to biking and have a very upright posture. I don't hunch over well, and even when I do, I get tired easily. I actually prefer my upright posture/balance (for now).

I don't ride very often and haven't been able to tackle some trails yet because of my schedule. But I definitely look forward to doing so in the coming season.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got my Gravity 29Point4 today, built it up (~30mins, painless), rode it around a little and so far couldn't be more pleased. The bike fits well, I test rode a GF 29er in the same size before I bought it and the bikes feel very similar size-wise. Everything works great. I love the Recon fork with SoloAir. Its my first air fork, and I love being able to adjust the pressure and rebound. The wheelset was my biggest concern before purchasing, but it actually seems decent. Spin smoothly, came fairly true (although possibly not stress-relieved), and I see no reason why they shouldn't last a long time. All in all, I'm very happy with the bike and can't wait to thrash the trails with it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29point4-fr_341small.jpg  

29point4-fr_342small.jpg  

29point4-fr_343small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bike looks great. What size is it, and how much does it weigh?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kwabbott
    Bike looks great. What size is it, and how much does it weigh?
    Thanks. Size 19in, and according to my bathroom scale 27.5lbs (with crankbros candy pedals--pretty sure the ones BD gives you would add a pound to that. Also, reflectors removed of course). Bike is a blast, fast down and up, and comfy to boot!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ebleezy View Post
    Thanks. Size 19in, and according to my bathroom scale 27.5lbs (with crankbros candy pedals--pretty sure the ones BD gives you would add a pound to that. Also, reflectors removed of course). Bike is a blast, fast down and up, and comfy to boot!
    Hey Ebleezy what is your height and inseam measurements. I'm thinking about getting one and I'm not sure what size I want 17.5 or 19. I'm 6' 1" and 32" inseam. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hi captdee I am 6'0 with a 34" inseam, and a fair amount of seatpost showing (on the flats). Hope that helps.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by captdee View Post
    Hey Ebleezy what is your height and inseam measurements. I'm thinking about getting one and I'm not sure what size I want 17.5 or 19. I'm 6' 1" and 32" inseam. Thanks
    19" for sure, 17.5 would be way too small.

mtbr member
    how do you point 4 riders like your rides so far?

im saving up for my first trail worthy mtb and after a month of 24/7 research I've narrowed it down to:

Gravity 29point4

the name brands just cant compete with the value here.

thanks for your replies if any!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm really enjoying mine. It fits well at 5' 7"/8" with the 15" frame. It's really smooth on descents. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not I should have spent more for a titanium bike because I'll be upgrading/spending the money down the line anyway.

IMO, it's on the heavy side, but it's expected at this price point. However, I'd still recommend it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    how do you point 4 riders like your rides so far?

im saving up for my first trail worthy mtb and after a month of 24/7 research I've narrowed it down to:

Gravity 29point4

the name brands just cant compete with the value here.

thanks for your replies if any!
    Hi Danny,

I was in the same boat as you about 4 weeks ago. Came to the same conclusion for the same reason and pulled the trigger on a 29.4.

Give me a few days. I'm slammed at work and have some large projects I need to complete in the next 48 hours. Afterwards, I'll write up a fairly detailed report on my experience, complete with photos.

Here's a sneak peak: 9-9.5 out of 10. Very pleased.
    2011 Gravity 29point4
    2011 Specialized Secteur Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    I'm really enjoying mine. It fits well at 5' 7"/8" with the 15" frame. It's really smooth on descents. The only thing I wonder about is whether or not I should have spent more for a titanium bike because I'll be upgrading/spending the money down the line anyway.

IMO, it's on the heavy side, but it's expected at this price point. However, I'd still recommend it.
    how much does your bike weigh? Like 30-32 lbs? did you try to lighten the load by adding any lighter mods?

How does it handle on technical steep singletrack?

Does the lockout work well?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markfm View Post
    Hi Danny,

I was in the same boat as you about 4 weeks ago. Came to the same conclusion for the same reason and pulled the trigger on a 29.4.

Give me a few days. I'm slammed at work and have some large projects I need to complete in the next 48 hours. Afterwards, I'll write up a fairly detailed report on my experience, complete with photos.

Here's a sneak peak: 9-9.5 out of 10. Very pleased.
    Wow that is a pretty good score! I can't wait to read the detailed report! Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    how much does your bike weigh? Like 30-32 lbs? did you try to lighten the load by adding any lighter mods?

How does it handle on technical steep singletrack?

Does the lockout work well?

Thanks!
    It's stock except for the pedals. I have spd m520 pedals. don't have a proper scale (only a bathroom one). It's not terribly heavy. Just that I'm used to road bikes.

I'm very new to mtbing, so that really depends on the rider. The shock is nice, but it makes a squishing noise that seems to be normal (rebound set too low).

Sorry, I'm not too much help. This is my first mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It's lighter than that. UPS reported the shipping weight at 30.0 lbs. Thats the whole bike with pedals, reflectors, and all the shipping material. Its probably closer to 27-28 before pedals and reflectors. But that's just a guess. Haven't weighed mine either.
    2011 Gravity 29point4

mtbr member
    nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by markfm View Post
    It's lighter than that. UPS reported the shipping weight at 30.0 lbs. Thats the whole bike with pedals, reflectors, and all the shipping material. Its probably closer to 27-28 before pedals and reflectors. But that's just a guess. Haven't weighed mine either.
    It's not accurate. BD quotes most of their packages that weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo View Post
    It's not accurate. BD quotes most of their packages that weight.
    It may not be accurate. But in my experience with domestic and international shipments from my office, it doesn't matter what I put down as the weight on the label. The weight that ends up on the tracking site is the weight from the shippers' scales.
    2011 Gravity 29point4

mtbr member
    So now im debating if I should get the 2012 moto fantom 29 pro. some people were saying its worth more than getting the point5 cause of the ritchey components and different brakes and tires.

Do i really need to spend 300 more? or is the point4 more than i need??? 850(point4) is a lot of money to me, 1200(fantom29pro) is a boat load LOL. Any thoughts?

I saw the fantom listed at 28.5 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I really enjoyed riding the trails in Anchorage AK 10 years ago. Kincade, Far North Bicentennial Park, Chugach, etc... Then I had kids and moved to Temecula CA.

Recently a friend noticed my old bike hanging in the garage and asked how long it had been. I told him I hadn't ridden here because a) I don't know where to ride b) I have young children and c) no one to ride with. He convinced me to get my old FS a tune up and he'd show me the trails on the Santa Rosa Plateau.

$130 later, I had a tuned up bike, new tubes, lubed chain, ready to go. A half mile down the trail, my rear shock popped in half as I rolled over a rock. I was forced to walk my bike back to the car. Replacement shock was out of the question. It was ancient and rediculously expensive to replace. Time to shop for a new ride... A hard tail, with no rear shock to break!

After testing out a few 29ers at several lbs's I decided to go that route. But the HTs with hydros and air forks were all well over $1k, with tax. No deals on ebay or craiglist either. Ended up going with a BD Gravity 29point4 because it was in my price range, had an impressive list of components, free shipping, and no tax. I placed the order.

Three days later, it arrived. UPS delivery man said it was his third bike delivery that day.

(My 7yo daughter provides some scale)

That night, my new riding buddy came over to help me put it together. We discovered some minor paint chips on the chain stays, which were covered and seemed to be protected during shipment. Not sure how the damage occurred, but I wasn't going to complain. They were minor and I planned on adding some chips to the stays on my first ride anyway. You can see some of the damage here. Although, it wasn't this bad. I've put over 100 miles on my bike so far (when this photo was taken). Most of this has been caused by me.

BD recommends that you have professionals put the bike together. Probably a good idea, because I think we didn't tighten all the bolts we should have. About 25 miles and 2 days later, I heard a "ping" as the compression bolt popped off the bottom bracket. A few blocks later I pedaled the crank arm right off the bike.

I sent this pic along with an explanation to BD and they shipped me a replacement bolt at no charge the next day. They recommended that I not ride the bike without the bolt, since it might crack the shaft causing damage that wouldn't be covered under the warrantee. I wasn't about to ignore their advice a second time.

In fact, after the bolt arrived, I took the bike into the lbs for a front & rear derailleur adjustment. For just $30, they made those adjustments. Plus they fixed the handle bar alignment and re-routed the front brake line from the outside of my fork to the inside, where it wouldn't catch on twigs and branches. Their work on the bike turned it into one sweet ride. I highly recommend a full inspection/tune up if you buy from BD and if you decide to put it together yourself.

I've only made a few mods so far. I swapped out the seat with a lighter one I bought for my old bike. Also installed my water cage, m520 pedals, and a ram mount for my iPhone.

Here you can see the re-routed brake line running down the inside of the fork.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. It's actually a pretty good deal on a bike with its list of components. I wasn't ready to spend fortune on a bike with the absolute highest-quality & lowest-weight gear, but since I have a history of riding my bikes into the ground, I wanted something that would keep me happy, last a while, and make me feel that I got a smokin deal.

I wouldn't hesitate to make this purchase all over again. Even my riding buddy who was nudging me to buy at an lbs had to admit that he was impressed with their prices. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up making his next purchase at BD.
    2011 Gravity 29point4

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast