Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

27.5" Motobecanes are coming!

According to a email a friend of mine received from Bikes Direct, is that they are fazing 26" bikes out completely to make room for their new 27.5" bikes. The reason he got this email is because he ordered a 26" bike, but they oversold it.

Very cool stuff indeed.
    "The small minded, the rage blinded, and the devils behind it."

neeeds donation$ for bike
    not cool. the 27 and half part

My Brain Hurts!
    Schnikies! I just saw Giant was leaking info on 650's...now this! I have to say, the price and possibly equipment specs on the Moto might woo me from a Giant...I can hardly wait to see! And lets hope full suspension is in the initial release!!!

Gotta love choices!

Quote Originally Posted by tylerw View Post
    not cool. the 27 and half part
    I guess what I posted above answers how I feel on the new wheel size. And it has looked like the 650 was going to catch on a lot faster than the 29ers did. Everyone I talk to that rides a 650 on single track etc loves it! No exceptions....I question removing 26ers from anyones lineup as I do not see the 650 as a replacement..just another choice. As time goes if sales fall off that is one thing...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

neeeds donation$ for bike
    i have no reason to down size/grade to any less the 29" for cross country single track riding. For downhillers, i think they would be looking up to this option. thats all

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby View Post
    Schnikies! I just saw Giant was leaking info on 650's...now this! I have to say, the price and possibly equipment specs on the Moto might woo me from a Giant...I can hardly wait to see! And lets hope full suspension is in the initial release!!!

Gotta love choices!

I guess what I posted above answers how I feel on the new wheel size. And it has looked like the 650 was going to catch on a lot faster than the 29ers did. Everyone I talk to that rides a 650 on single track etc loves it! No exceptions....I question removing 26ers from anyones lineup as I do not see the 650 as a replacement..just another choice. As time goes if sales fall off that is one thing...

Are they up on their site? BD has not been quick to adopt new standards in the past, no reason to expect them to do it now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hope that they will come out with a redesigned titanium fly 650b, because I was actually thinking of buying a 29 titanium and just putting on 650b wheels, anyone done this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by n2b8tor View Post
    I hope that they will come out with a redesigned titanium fly 650b, because I was actually thinking of buying a 29 titanium and just putting on 650b wheels, anyone done this?
    Possible problem with too-low bottom bracket and resulting pedal strikes.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw View Post
    i have no reason to down size/grade to any less the 29" for cross country single track riding. For downhillers, i think they would be looking up to this option. thats all
    Ya, I cannot see the new size moving the 29 out of XC in any way...and a few DH riders, at least one very prominent rider, are tearin it up on the 650!
    I am really anxious to get a 650 out on the technical stuff we ride most often. I am looking for better rollover and still being able to toss the bike around, and many riders report that this is a real benefit of the middle sized wheel...
    And I will still never sell my 26er!

And Dirty $anchez, Motobecane told me directly (via email) and others that the 650 is expected for 2014. How many etc? I dunno...
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

thecentralscrutinizer
    Cool. Will wait and see what the Moto 650 will look like before buying another bike.

I'm not real crazy about my current 29er, although it is a nice bike. I hope the 650 will be a bit quicker handling than what a 29er is.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So, what exactly does BD mean by 2014? Does that really mean the year 2014, or, like some models or cars and bikes, the 2014 model is to be released in summer or fall of 2013? Inquiring minds want to know.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    So, what exactly does BD mean by 2014? Does that really mean the year 2014, or, like some models or cars and bikes, the 2014 model is to be released in summer or fall of 2013? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike has stated many times that BD does not have model years, based on that, 2014 is most likely the calendar year.

mtbr member
    i've been weighing whether to build 650b on my own, but if motobecane is coming out with 650b titanium i'm willing to put the build off for a while. mike should make some sort of announcement in the forum or at least to everyone who has purchased from him via email. of course, having a tapered head tube and thru axle will be definite a clincher. ;-)

My Brain Hurts!
    I would hope the tapered head tube is a no brainer...After seeing Giants initial releases not having thru axles I'd hope Moto will! But, you know what, it is not a deal breaker for me so far...
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 10-01-2013 at 01:28 AM.

mtbr member
    It's not a deal breaker for me either. I don't think tapered head tube and thru axle make much of difference for the type of riding that I do. However, having it make it more appealing. Especially considering that Lynskey Silver Series for 650B XT build is quite attractive. While I didn't have problem with FSA crankset and Elixir brakes that I got from my previous purchase of Motobecane, I do prefer having a complete grouppo. But, that's just me.

Of the three possible choices: build my own using Chinese HT carbon, wait for possible Motobecane Ti offering, or go with Lynskey Silver Series.

While I do like the value of Motobecane, I'm getting bit antsy to get another bike this summer.

mtbr member
    Looks like a low-end rigid SS 27.5 has found its way into the mix.. more to come I'm sure.

Save up to 60% off new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29 SS Single Speed new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    I hope they come out with something a little more "all mountain" friendly with the 650B wheels. I've been looking through their full suspension offerings and everything is still running a very XC'ish 70-72* head angles.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Cool! Waitiing for the Ti bikes now.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Hey its been a little while now since anyone commented on the bikesdirect 650b bikes so I wanted to share some info I have. I purchased the Gravity 650b ss rigid about a month ago and I absolutely Love it. I have been riding my full carbon Supersix all season so I didn't think going down to this level bike was going to be that much fun, but I was definitely wrong. The bike has been so much fun I am so happy with my decision. I was looking at all kinds of 650b and i made my decision on the fact that I didn't know if I was going to like the 650b wheel size and or the single speed but wanted to try them both.
    So the Gravity 650b 27.5" SS Rigid let me try both of these without spending a lot of money.
    Since I bought it I changed few minor things and have been liking the bike ever
    Last edited by echefanthony; 08-31-2013 at 03:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by echefanthony View Post
    Hey its been a little while now since anyone commented on the bikesdirect 650b bikes so I wanted to share some info I have. I purchased the Gravity 650b ss rigid about a month ago and I absolutely Love it. I have been riding my full carbon Supersix all season so I didn't think going down to this level bike was going to be that much fun, but I was definitely wrong. The bike has been so much fun I am so happy with my decision. I was looking at all kinds of 650b and i made my decision on the fact that I didn't know if I was going to like the 650b wheel size and or the single speed but wanted to try them both.
    So the Gravity 650b 27.5" SS Rigid let me try both of these without spending a lot of money.
    Since I bought it I changed few minor things and have been liking the bike ever
    How heavy is it? What did you end up changing?
    2015 Trek Farley
    2013 Santa Cruz Superlight 650b
    2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon 650b SS
    2012 Giant Defy (Roadie)

mtbr member
    Sorry I didn't even get to finish the last post I sent.
    I was saying that after making a few minor changes to the bike it has been great and so much fun.
    I put a carbon seat post with FIZIK Antares saddle, white lock on grips, white platform pedals, and nice fat Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires.
    The bike weighs 25.98 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5" Motobecanes are coming!-img_20130830_234249.jpg  

mtbr member
    Slowly but surely. A few HTs and FS in the lower end have been posted. Patiently waiting for something without a Suntour fork.

Up to 60% Off 27.5 650b Mountain Bikes Equipped with Shimano or SRAM

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Still waiting. Any word on when high end full suspension 650b/27.5 will debut?

mtbr member
    In the same boat. I KNOW my next bike will be a full suspension Motobecane. Almost pulled the trigger on the 29'er frame and fork but just can't get past the glossy black (ughh...). Now I'm waiting to see if they release new 2014 full suspension models for the 27.5. I'd buy that in a heartbeat or if they offer the frame set for the 29'er in a different color.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Anyone buy a 527HT? thinking about pulling the trigger on one soon as a backup bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a 27.5 TI coming today. I have to say Shipping was pretty fast. Was shipped out Monday. Sizing is a bit of a risk since they do not have a geometry chart on the site yet for that frame, so went by the recommended sizes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast