Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

2016 Motobecane FS for pre-order?

Anybody have any thoughts on this new full-squish that BikesDirect is taking pre-orders on right now? I gotta say, just on spec, that's a lot of bike for $999. The fork and shock are above average, drivetrain is really nice, wheels are awesome. And let's face it, the frame is a pretty close knock-off of the Santa Cruz Superlight, I'm willing to bet the geometry is identical.

After buying a Gravity 29point6 and making a decent number of upgrades, I'm thinking about this as a second bike for rougher stuff and occasional downhill runs. I mean, $999?

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Elite

2016 Motobecane FS for pre-order?-fantom29ds-comp-org-21.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How do you like your 29 Point 6?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaboosh View Post
    How do you like your 29 Point 6?
    Love it, man. . .bought it for $1100, probably put another $400 or so into it with a 1x10, RaceFace bars and seatpost, a new Selle Italia saddle. Wheels are the only weak link right now, but I'll wait until I bend one, or find somebody selling a set of Bontragers on the cheap. So for $1500, I have a hardtail that TrekAlized can't touch for under $2000. Helps that I have the tools and can do all of my own wrenching, but local shops are more than happy to work on a Motobecane/Gravity bike, if they're smart.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I'm looking very hard at this bike too. Even by bikesdirect standards, it seems like an incredible deal. Anyone have any thoughts on the high chainstay frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinm View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on the high chainstay frame?

If the single pivot suspension fits within your expectations the frame probably will serve you well, provided they got the pivot point geometry right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Good call. It's definitely not going to ride like a 4-bar link, but seeing as the frame was built by Kinesis, the same factory that cranks out most of the "big name" frames, I am guessing they at least got the design spec right. I keep looking at the VERY similar setup on the SuperLight. I've ridden that particular buke, and it just WORKS. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing. The sum of the parts here is way beyond the price tag.

DFMBA.org
    Not bad for the $$. The only thing I would swap out immediately would be the brakes. The really low-end Shimanos have very poor stopping power.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Not bad for the $$. The only thing I would swap out immediately would be the brakes. The really low-end Shimanos have very poor stopping power.
    That's a good catch, I didn't notice this. It does come with $50 brakes.

mtbr member
    I am beginning to have doubts about BD. My first doubt was when I had been reading specs, and they say that we have these .... tires, that are the best tires on the planet earth-then I saw the same tires on a $350 Diamondback. I like a yellow FS29(been out of stock for 8 months). I do not doubt that the bike is worth $1499- but they say it is worth $6000. It has a Rockshox Recon fork, $250 on amazon. A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29($2700) has a Rockshox Revelation, $1000 on amazon. I do not think I know enough about bikes to buy from them. I probably would not anyway, but everytime I think of mountain biking I picture a yellow bike, they have several of them from $399 to $1800, as of today, they are all sold out except for one yellow 27.5($1800).
    I'd rather push my 29er than ride a road bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That's a pretty good observation, misterbill. The key to buying from BD, in my opinion, is being able to break down the specs (without the advertising fluff) to see exactly what you're getting. It's also very important to be able to do most of your own wrenching, including good assembly with torque specs and all. If not, a LBS will probably charge you $100 to do it, so you can add that to the price.

Stock-wise, they do carry a lot of left-over models on the website, so you'll find older models with nothing available except 13-inch frames and stuff.

I'm definitely not a shill for BD, but I do think they offer a killer value at certain price points. Their low-end bikes seem to be basically the same as any other low-end bike. But using my 29point6 as an example, I got a Reba fork, full XT, Elixir 7 brakes (yes, they're a pain in the ass to bleed, but I still like Elixirs) for $1000. That same level of spec would have run me $1700 or so on a TrekAlized. Which leads me back to this pre-order FS model. . .still seems like a lot of bike for $999.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    I am beginning to have doubts about BD. My first doubt was when I had been reading specs, and they say that we have these .... tires, that are the best tires on the planet earth-then I saw the same tires on a $350 Diamondback. I like a yellow FS29(been out of stock for 8 months). I do not doubt that the bike is worth $1499- but they say it is worth $6000. It has a Rockshox Recon fork, $250 on amazon. A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29($2700) has a Rockshox Revelation, $1000 on amazon. I do not think I know enough about bikes to buy from them. I probably would not anyway, but everytime I think of mountain biking I picture a yellow bike, they have several of them from $399 to $1800, as of today, they are all sold out except for one yellow 27.5($1800).
    misterbill the bikes are fabulous for the price. there are a few other sites on the internet with good value also but there is no way you can touch the value at a LBS. However, you need to be prepared to put the front end together (or pay someone to do it) and have a good idea of what you need. If you want the full service experience then definitely check out a LBS. However, you will have great difficulty getting an air sprung FS bike for under 2000$ these days at a shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinm View Post
    However, you will have great difficulty getting an air sprung FS bike for under 2000$ these days at a shop.
    2016 Motobecane
    Fantom 29er FS
    SRAM X9 30 Speed
    SALE $1,499.95* (List $2999)

Yes I do agree with that-what I do not agree with is written below.

Compare to $6,000+ Trek, Giant Anthem 29er

That is probably about $3500 off of the mark.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah, that is definitely a marketing cloud of BS from BikesDirect. . .hell, an Anthem can be had for around $2500 on sale, and is spec'd a bit better than the Fantom (with Fox suspension, better wheels, etc.) But apparently they feel that part of the description helps them sell bikes. *shrug*

That being said, the Fantom is a lot of bike for $1500, too.

I ride bikes
    With bikesdirect you get what you pay for. You save a few hundred because it is direct to consumer.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    2016 Motobecane
    Fantom 29er FS
    SRAM X9 30 Speed
    SALE $1,499.95* (List $2999)

Yes I do agree with that-what I do not agree with is written below.

Compare to $6,000+ Trek, Giant Anthem 29er

That is probably about $3500 off of the mark.
    yeah, that's fair. I don't think there's any reason to spend that much though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    With bikesdirect you get what you pay for. You save a few hundred because it is direct to consumer.
    I would definately agree with this. All my bikes are from BD, and for what they are and what I paid, they're good. Basically a combination of almost the best prices on individual big components, plus cheap wheelsets and cockpit items thrown in. On their low end stuff, worth it to just go to a local sports store and get a diamondback. On their better stuff, BD does have good deals though. Black Friday stuff is definately worth it.

mtbr member
    Saw a 27.5 Kona at Eastern Mountain Sports-130mm Monarch rear suspension, 140mm Sektoy silver solo air fork, 8sp 22 front 34 rear(a must for me)$1899. What frightens me about BD is I do not know the difference between a good bike and a cheap one. How do I know their frames are the quality of an M5 Specialized or cheap like the Kona with a 6061 frame? 6061 aluminum frames come on Walmart bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Pre-ordered the m9000 and love it, $2700. The wheels on my bike, built wrong. Spokes are to short and the aluminum nipples explode like popcorn. Sucks because t
    hey are light and ok quality. You could compromise with
    brass nipples, like you would if you made a mistake in your spoke lanth calculations but that shouldn't be the customers
    responsibility. Middle man xrp customer service had no clue and told me to contact the other Veulta company. Guess l should contact BD .

mtbr member
    some BD frames are closer to the M5, but most are closer to the walmart frame. The difference will be the quality of the heat treat, and the tubing thickness. Some of the BD frames are double butted, walmart bikes will not be. BD frames are comparable to hardrock frames. Strong, but heavy. Not as heavy as walmart bikes though.

On a side note, walmart frames (at least their hardtail ones) aren't that bad. They are heavy because they don't have any interest in making them lighter. Extra cost for a double butted frame isn't justified on box store bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hey there! I'm new to this MTBR Forum, but it looks like a great forum to discuss all things mountain bike! Anyway, I placed my order for the Motobecane Fantom DS comp 29 a couple of weeks ago. It really does seem like you're getting a lot of bike for the money! My last bike I built part by part, piece by piece and I've been mountain biking for almost 30 years, so I'm very familiar with hierarchy of parts and how to get the most "bang for your buck." I'm impressed... My question is, has anyone pre-ordered a bike from Bikes Direct before and if so was the bike shipped before, after or on the date they have your as the expected shipping date? I'm just excited to get this bike! Anyhow, I hope y'all are having a great weekend so far! Kirk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Umm... Hello? Is anyone out there? Just me and the crickets?!? Hmm... I guess I'll just be here all.alone.waiting...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm interested in the bike, but will probably wait this one out. I'm torn between this and a Boris/Gravity Fat Bike w/the Bluto. Just not sure which way to roll.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunesoul View Post
    Umm... Hello? Is anyone out there? Just me and the crickets?!? Hmm... I guess I'll just be here all.alone.waiting...
    Yes, it is you and the crickets, because the rest of us were out for a ride over the weekend. Get on your bike and ride.

Now that we're back, there were a couple threads out there on pre-order from BD. It seemed the general consensus was the bike delivery is usually on time, but may be delayed if there are labor strikes, typhons, etc.. that prevent delivery. The manufacturing is usually on time, and the sending out to you from BD is on time. If there is a delay, it's usually because of transportation between the manufacturer and BD.

The other common issue was swapping of parts. Normally should come in with the parts speced, but sometimes they get swapped by the manufacturer based on availability. Normally a horizontal quality swap for something comparable or an upgrade. I don't think I've heard ot a downgrade swap, but if you feel that it's a downgrade, contact BD with a comparison of what should have been on the bike vs. what's actually on the bike. If it's valid, they'll normally take care of you. If you're blowing smoke because you don't like the color of the crankset lettering....

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thank you watts888 for the detailed response! I would have been out there riding too, but I'm still waiting for my bike! :-P My other bike is temporarily down and I didn't feel like riding my 50+ pounds cruiser around on a 100 degree day. Anyway, thanks again for the reply, I was starting to feel like this place was a ghost town! :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hi Tunesoul, please do us all a favor and when your bike comes in provide a thorough write-up during the unboxing/assembly and collect some necessary specs (weight) and opinions (true to size, small or larger than expected).

The components on this bike seem fantastic for the price, especially if the more simplistic suspension design has kept the weight down to a reasonable level - so I'm sure folks will be very curious to hear your impressions.

Respectfully,
    BillyM

mtbr member
    The "simple" design isn't always the lightest. I had one of thier gravity FSX bikes with the single pivot, and it still weighed a lot. Because of the load on the single arms, they had to be oversized and beefy, while a horst link type bike can get away with lighter tubing. All aluminum, but I think the frame added an extra 2 pounds over comparablly priced BD frames. Trade off of a single pivot vs. 6 in regards to maintenance though. The FSX was a bushing instead of a bearing. I can't tell if these are a bushing, or two big ole bearings. Prefer bearings for ease of replacment.

Just noticed the placment of the single pivot is much lower than the FSX. On the FSX, the pivot was really high in comparison to the chain line. On this fantom, it's in line with the top chain. Curious to see how this will affect pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by billyM View Post
    Hi Tunesoul, please do us all a favor and when your bike comes in provide a thorough write-up during the unboxing/assembly and collect some necessary specs (weight) and opinions (true to size, small or larger than expected).

The components on this bike seem fantastic for the price, especially if the more simplistic suspension design has kept the weight down to a reasonable level - so I'm sure folks will be very curious to hear your impressions.

Respectfully,
    BillyM
    I will definitely do an update once I receive the bike. Hopefully it ships any day now!!! :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Has anyone's 2016 Moto shipped yet?!?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My 2016 Motobecane Fantom ds comp 29 is finally on the way, arriving on Monday! :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Oooh oooooh, *hyperventilates*

Remember to get an accurate weight ASAP!

--billyM

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I sure will! Can't wait to get my hands on it! :-)
    Oooh oooooh, *hyperventilates*

Remember to get an accurate weight ASAP!

--billyM

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Watching the online tracking updates? *excited*

--billyM

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Watching the online tracking updates? *excited*

--billyM
    It's out for delivery, should be here in about three hours. :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Post some pics of that ride, Tunesoul!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dledinger View Post
    Post some pics of that ride, Tunesoul!
    I'm.still.waiting.for.ups......... Of course the one day I am really looking forward to a delivery they're over 3 hours later than normal... SMH...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I know the feeling!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I can't take the suspense... *breathes into bag*

--billyM

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Okay I have the bike FINALLY! I just assembled it and threw on my old Welgo pedals and it weighs 33lbs. I bought the 17 inch 29er burnt orange frame and it fits me perfect (I'm just under 5'11".) The color/paint looks really good, it's a little more reddish or copper looking in person. It came with all the right parts that were spec'd on the website. So far I am very satisfied (with exception of some scratches on the rear triangle.) I'll have to talk to Bikes Direct about that issue. I hope this helps some of you with your questions and curiosity. :-) I'll post a video to YouTube tomorrow and post a link here to that video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Motobecane FS for pre-order?-image.jpg  

2016 Motobecane FS for pre-order?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Awesome! Are the tires setup tubeless as shipped?

*Edit* Thanks for verifying weight and fitment, I hit the order button first thing this morning myself! That said, interesting seeing the frame differences (conjoined tubes at the headset on that frame vs what was published on BD.com).

Thanks again,
    -billyM
    Last edited by billyM; 09-29-2015 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Are the tires setup tubeless as shipped?
    I don't think I've ever heard of a manufacturer shipping tires setup as tubeless. They always ship with a tube (or are true UST compatible). Filling up a tire with sealant at the factory wouldn't work well, and would inevitably leak during shipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Looks great, enjoy your new ride!

mtbr member
    Any idea of tire clearance? Looks like you should fit a 2.5" easily in back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I actually like that the top and bottom tubes are joined together at the head tube. I think it looks better aesthetically and I'd have to believe that's a stronger way to build the frame. Anyhow, it really does look and feel great! So far it has surpassed my expectations. :-) *And to billyM, no they do not come with tubeless tires setup. I'll be putting in the dirt in a couple of days and let y'all know how it performs! :-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Motobecane FS for pre-order?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Any idea of tire clearance? Looks like you should fit a 2.5" easily in back.
    Yes, there is a ton of clearance back there. Almost 3/4" on each side of the tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Sorry for the dark photos. :-P

newfydog
    May 2009
    Got it yesterday. Rode it today. Wow, nice bike. Details to follow.

newfydog
    May 2009
    OK, bought this bike for the wife. She has had FS bikes before, when we spent time in the rough and rocky, but here in Bend, Oregon, the land of smooth cruising single track, she has not wanted anything but her titanium hardtail.

We're getting older though, and she finally thought a FS bike might beat her up less. We wanted a pretty basic bike: 26 or 27.5 wheels, not huge travel, 27 or 30 speed gearing, full lockout, under $2000. It is amazing how hard it is to find that, as manufacturers try to convince us we just have to have the latest in 29er, six inch travel, 1X11 etc..

This bike fit the bill. We would have paid more for higher end components, but they all work great. The brakes are just fine and any Shimano is easier to adjust and maintain than an Avid.

That is one very active suspention! I have the Phantom DS 29er with the XTR stuff, and it has no where near the action of this bike. It has less bob sure, but this bike has minimal bob in the saddle and then it has full lockout.

I'd call this bike a flat out bargain. It works great, has good solid components and smooths out the bumps better than much fancier bikes.

A few notes:

The bike comes fairly well disassembled-- both wheels off, brakes, rear derraileur, all need install, the chain is not cut to length etc. If you can't do that stuff yourself don't whine when the LBS charges a bit---most bike go together quicker than this one.

It has tremendous mud clearance, probably because the bigger frames are 29er, and the rear is not much changed for the 27.5 version. This is a good thing, you can always use extra clearance and nothing hits an ankle or anything because of it.

The saddle is a real WTB. A bit of a pillow, but a real one.

The WTB Nano tires are nice, but I think a 2.1 is more for a hardtail or race and the FS bike will see the stuff where a 2.35 will be better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for all the information from everyone. I placed order this week and the bike is on it way.

mtbr member
    I am suspicious of people that have only posted ten times. Did your bosses at bikesdirect tell you to get out there and post on mountain bike forums and tell everyone how great your motobecanes are?

newfydog
    May 2009
    I am suspicious of people talking about how great their motobecanes are that have only posted ten times. Did your bosses at bikesdirect tell you to get out there and post on mountain bike forums and tell everyone how great your motobecanes are?
    Well, I have 265 posts (77 more than you), my wife and I have EIGHT Motobecanes-- we each have a fat bike, a titanium cyclocross bike, a titanium hard tail, and now we both have a FS bike. I've bought and assembled four more for friends.

I broke one frame and bikesdirect stripped a bike and sent me a new one.

I have raced road and mountain, and worked in bike shops. I have ridden lots of bikes, heck, we have seven more besides the moto's. I think this bike is a darn good one, one of their best. A good bike from a good company. Take that for what you will. If you can provide evidence to the contrary, please post it.

mtbr member
    I am suspicious of people that have only posted ten times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast