mtbr member
    Aug 2006

2013 Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium XX, Pre-Order

BD posted the Pre-Order announcement on their FB page earlier:

SRAM XX, 2x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Motobecane Fly Titanium 29er | SRAM XX hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

Anyone planning to buy it?

This one is just too expensive for me but I'm trying to figure out how to buy the XTR when it goes up for pre-order. And BTW, it looks like all of us who were waiting for the updated ORA frame are going to be disappointed. They are sticking with the old one for now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Let's retain hope. This is June and the new model was suggested for July. Sure, they could be offering a model with a curved downtube, tapered headtube, curved seat tube and 438 or less chainstays with 69.5/74 angles with seatstays with engineered compliance, Those are all showing up in the ORA models currently in production. The 2013-MB-206 could be offered with a 120-140 fork for AM HT. If BD doesn't, maybe someone like Airborne will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, I won't lose hope altogether. But, if they are not using the new frame on the $3K Fly Team XX, I really doubt they would use it on the much cheaper XTR or XO bikes. Of course, no matter what frames they use, these bikes are still an amazing deal... so I'm not complaining.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Site shows ship date Aug 6th.

mtbr member
    Why wouldn't they go with a tapered steerer tube and press-fit BB on this frame?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mike - when will a 17.5 size be available? are more coming or am I out of luck until next year?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well, I don't know if you had your heart set on the XX but, if you're interested, you can still pre-order the XTR in every size: Shimano XTR DynaSys, 2x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Motobecane Fly Titanium 29er | Shimano DynaSys hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

As far as talking to Mike, I suggest you just email BD (bd4salesteam@aol.com) if you have any questions. I don't think Mike reads this forum any longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine14 View Post
    Mike - when will a 17.5 size be available? are more coming or am I out of luck until next year?
    I was told this winter at the earliest. Major bummer. New frame or not, that was an insane WC calibre bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wolverine,

I'm not sure if you saw this, but the XX pre-order is available again in your size. It says "low stock" so if you really want it, you should order it ASAP. Good Luck. I'm tempted myself, but I think I'll stick with my XTR pre-order. I just can't justify the extra $$. SRAM XX, 2x10 Speed 29er Titanium Front Suspension Mountain Bikes - MTB - 2013 Motobecane Fly Titanium 29er | SRAM XX hardtail mountain bikes | Save up to 60% off list prices on new bicycles

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    They are taking pre orders for April 15-April 19 ship dates
    Got me a 17.5
    Gonna put 2013 Roval Carbon wheels with Fast Trak
    Change bars and stem to Loaded Xlite flat bar and Xlite ti stem
    Change seat post to Thompson masterpiece and saddle to Phenom pro
    And Voila ! Race bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hey guys
    does anyone here allready bought bikes from bd in the past? espacialy the motobecane fli ti? i mean, the price is so cheap that its too good to b true...
    thanks

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    I have purchased 5 bicycles from BD have been completely satisfied with all of them
    I have been waiting for 2 years to buy a Fly team titanium(always sold out)
    What made me pull the trigger this time on the pre order is that they sell out so quick
    I also believe that in 29 and with Sram XX you will not find a better value anywhere

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've purchased 2 bikes from BD including the 2013 Ti Fly Team 29er (Summer 2012) and am extremely satisfied. The only issue I've had with both bikes is squeaky brakes. This seems to be a problem with all SRAM brakes no matter where they are purchased from. I still haven't managed to get them completely silent, but using the CRC brake quiet (purchased from AutoZone) seems to have helped a lot (warning: make sure you don't get any on the actual brake pad). Also, depending on your use, you may want to purchase new tires (or at least a new front tire) because the Small Block 8s that come with the bike break loose way too easily during aggressive cornering. Other than those minor issues, I'd say buy the bike. It's an amazing value and you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by patrascu; 02-03-2013 at 08:12 PM.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    I have not found any brakes that do not make noise except the new XTR brakes(maybe the XT'S also dont know I don't have those)
    I have Formula brakes on two of my bikes R1 on one and R1X on the other and they are both noisy R1X is worse
    The XTR's are silent but not near as powerful as the Formula brakes
    Brake noise is just something I try to live with
    Yeah it bugs me too but I deal with it
    Patrascu "How have the Vuelta wheels held up for you ?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good question. I forgot about the wheels. On my girlfriend's bike (a Fly Team Alu 26er), the wheels are perfect. On my Ti 29er, my front wheel needed some truing after a few rides. I spent about 1/2 an hour with it on a truing stand and it has held up well ever since. The back wheel hasn't needed any adjustments yet.

Edit: One thing I wish someone else could answer about the wheels is whether or not they are easy to convert to tubeless. I'm a bit scared to try it without any other inputs.
    Last edited by patrascu; 02-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just noticed the mediums are sold out. Glad I pre-ordered early!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's here!

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008
    Mine too
    Modified a bit
    Swapped wheels and tires (carbon Rovals and Spesh tires)
    Swapped stem , bars and seatpost (all titanium)
    Swapped brakes for XTR
    (Have all take offs if anyone is interested)
    Will post pic soon
    Got Bronchitis so cannot ride yet

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hey bluebeard! i u want to sell the wheels and the rest of parts im more then intersted'let me know what is the price
    thanks!