mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2013 Motobecane 550HT

Hey guys, first new thread!! Love the forum, joined it because I need info from you guys. I'm looking at the moto 550ht. Im lookin at it because it is on sale for 350$. Looking at the other bikes on BD for 350$ I think this is the best value for what I want. Let me know what you guys think, I was originally looked at the moto elite trail x4, but that looks to not be as sturdy of a bike as I would like.

Let me know what you guys think, Im in college and want a bike that will last me a while, but still be a good bike. 550ht...

EDIT: Also, I plan on ordering pretty soon, so the quicker the response the better. And I might have some extra money to upgrade, so maybe inform me on the cheaper parts on which I might upgrade in the future. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    In the past year or so, I bought a 600HT for myself and a 500HT for my wife to ride Rails to Trails together. The 600HT goes with me on our state forest roads, gas well and logging roads when I turkey hunt, and performed flawlessly this past year.

Bottom line - for me - if you aren't afraid to do a little wrenching and understand how to make adjustments, and on a budget, this is the ticket. I was able to do the final assembly from BD on my own with a little help from this site, youtube and Park Tool. The 600HT was less assembled then the 500HT, but neither was a big deal. The wife did some of the wrenching herself to learn how it all works.

The 550 has hydraulic brakes -- both bikes I have cables, so I can't help you there.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back for another nor to recommend BD for a good deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I appreciate the response. Out of all the bikes I looked at there were few brands to say the least that I believe got regular reviews (meaning people were consistent with what they said). I had originally been looking at the elite trail x4, but then heard some backlashes about it design for what I wanted to do with it. But thanks man, much appreciated. I will go ahead and put the order. SO PUMPED!! Its nice to hear everything I thought getting reaffirmed by someone else!

mtbr member
    What color did you pick???

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I ordered a 22.5 frame with matte red coloring. I'm very tall lol

WI. Big Boy MTBer

Re: 2013 Motobecane 550HT

You made a good choice buying from BD! I just took delivery of my third bike from them in as many months. I cant say enough good stuff about bikes direct.. from order to service after the sale two enthusiastic thumbs up! Congrats and enjoy!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    '11 Giant Revel frame / full rigid Surly 1x1, MAVIC, Continental, Bontrager, Milwaukee

NO SHOX

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We have a BD retail location here in Jacksonville....whats nice about there retail location is they will customize any of the bikes they stock...change tires, forks..whatever you like.

They also give lifetime free tune-ups... I've been very impressed when I've gone in....I was only considering a cannondale before but now I am very much leaning towards a bike from BD

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dang that sounds pretty nice. Kind of jealous

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was looking hard at the 550HT a few weeks ago they didn't have my size available.
    I bought the 500HT instead. My first time ordering from BD.

I was so impressed with the bike that gave the 500HT to my son and ordered a Fantom29 Elite.

The Fantom is an awesome bike. Everything is stock right now except I swapped out the 110mm stem that came with to a 60mm. (Really had me stretched out).

On the 500HT the only thing I did not care for was the Tektro Novella's. I put a set of AVID BB7's on it.

Very happy with Bikes Direct.

M-

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thats good to hear. Im getting more positives than negatives about BD. If someone is complaining about BD they are normally a stickler with like every detail of the bike.

On the 550ht it comes with Tektro Draco Hydros. Probably the bottom end of the hydros, but I have heard that they are decent for a while. Only things I will probably switch out quickly would be new seat, and possibly clipless pedals.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Nice! Make sure to post some pix when she arrives!
    '11 Giant Revel frame / full rigid Surly 1x1, MAVIC, Continental, Bontrager, Milwaukee

NO SHOX

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp View Post
    I appreciate the response. Out of all the bikes I looked at there were few brands to say the least that I believe got regular reviews (meaning people were consistent with what they said). I had originally been looking at the elite trail x4, but then heard some backlashes about it design for what I wanted to do with it. But thanks man, much appreciated. I will go ahead and put the order. SO PUMPED!! Its nice to hear everything I thought getting reaffirmed by someone else!
    I'm curious to what you heard about the Elite Trail. I'm thinking of picking one of those up, or the Elite Adventure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by orange57 View Post
    I'm curious to what you heard about the Elite Trail. I'm thinking of picking one of those up, or the Elite Adventure.
    I read through this whole post on the Motobecane forums.
    Motobecane Elite Trail Review

Im not sure what you plan to do with your bike, but the elite trail is a more road/light trail usage. I plan on doing heavier riding, and although the 29" wheels seemed nice, its just didnt make sense for me. The bike has relatively thin tires, and a very skinny frame. But read through that whole forum post, and you'll see this guys opinion change of that bike from when he first got it to when he rode it more. Its quite interesting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Alright so I got IT! Gonna go out riding tomorrow and ill send some better pictures. I must say. It looks fantastic. I know the picture is blurry but seriously. I love it so far. Wish me luck!!2013 Motobecane 550HT-bike.jpg

And YES, have to take the reflectors off lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey guys just a quick update. Had this bike for about 5 months now. And... I LOVE IT. It is something great. This bike is so fantastic! It meant every need that I wanted. I have also pushed this bike to some crazy limits and it handles fantastically. So, if you have any questions, let me know and I will answer them. But for 350$... this bike was a steal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelp View Post
    Hey guys just a quick update. Had this bike for about 5 months now. And... I LOVE IT. It is something great. This bike is so fantastic! It meant every need that I wanted. I have also pushed this bike to some crazy limits and it handles fantastically. So, if you have any questions, let me know and I will answer them. But for 350$... this bike was a steal.
    PICK just ordered the 2014 550ht (18" frame) are motobecane bikes any heavier than others? I'm hoping its not a tank...

mtbr member
    Id say around 32 33lbs...The fork and crank are very heavy..Hydraulic brakes weigh a bit more than mechanical brakes as well..Ill be weighing mine when I get it..ill post it up..Can see my build on the motobecane thread if interested...I expect to see around the 27lb range with my project.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks! I saw your build which looks like a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Santoro375;10626791]PICK just ordered the 2014 550ht (18" frame) are motobecane bikes any heavier than others? I'm hoping its not a tank...[/QUOTE

Bikes direct said the shipping weight was 30lbs ( I got the 19.5 frame) so ill assume that's with the box and packaging.tie raps and whatever else in the b0x so it shouldn't be too bad..Im hoping between the 25 and 27lb range after my build..not the lightest but respectable...Ill weight it when I get it assembled as stock then after my build for comparison.