mtbr member

2011 Fly Pro new lettering on sides

Just got mine a couple days ago and thought I'd post a picture of the new lettering on the black frame. Everywhere online has the lettering as white with it filled in now it's red outlined. I was surprised but in a good way. I like it. My cable repairman was changing out my modem yesterday and commented on how sexy it was. How rude to look at my girl like that

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    I like it.

Got mine back in Feb and it has the older style.

mtbr member
    Also to add.... The bike came with the new Elixir 9 instead of the CR as was described. No complaints.

mtbr member
    I've heard from reading some of the 29er threads the elixir 9s were showing up. Let us know what you think as you put some miles on them.

Also a couple of little things.

Move the front brake line to the inside of the stanchion. Too snag-able on the outside - and the hanging rear brake line (just before the M on the down tube in your pic) should have an open spot for it on the bottom of the top tube with a plastic retainer to hold it in place.

mtbr member
    Yeah I threw it together so quick and that front brake cable had me wondering which way to go with it. That rear cable wasn't inside his little plastic retainer straight from the box. I inspected the bike up and down and that was the only thing wrong with it. I'll take it. I was in a hurry to make sure it fit me in case I had to box it right back up and send it back for an 18". I also threw some platform pedals on to do that. My brother and 100% of people I ask about clipless say, change it quick. Maybe those platform/clipless ones are a good option as I would ride a lot with my son just to cruise around and have fun around town.

When I measured everything on my current bike, a 18" FS, it matched the 16" Fly Pro so I threw the dice on the sizing hoping it would match up as I hoped. That worked as planned. At 5'10" (160-165 lbs in case anybody needs sizing help) with shoes on I was supposed to be at the tail end of this 16" frame. When I went to the two local stores they had me checking out I believe 17.5 and 18 bikes in 29" tires. I felt like a little kid on a big boy bike. I really feel in control of the current bike and this one feels the same. The 18" would probably have sufficed also but this one is spot on for me I feel.

It's been raining consistently enough so that the most I rode was around the house and outside in the grass and atop a mountain in my back yard. It's only a 2' high mountain but that's pretty good for Florida. We have to travel some distance to find much to challenge us here. According to some local bikers there is a club that rides in various trails close by that I may look into . When I get some miles down I will surely give feedback on the ride including those new brakes. Hopefully I don't go over the handlebar in the process as I'm coming from v-brakes on a low end bike.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" also and had similar sizing thoughts. Previously I've ridden hybrid or road bikes before getting my first mtb about a 1 1/2 yrs ago. 16 is a bit too small and the 18 is almost right. This might be the hybrid cockpit still messing with me. I know I will finally get it dialed in.

Ultimately, I think my future has a 17" waiting for me. Probably Chinese carbon. The Fly made me appreciate a light bike.

mtbr member
    Here's my early '11 version with the older lettering.

I've added a small, wired planet bike computer, Ritchey WCS stem, WCS carbon rizer bar, and Bio-max pro seat. 2.25 and 2.1 Schwalbe RRs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Fly Pro new lettering on sides-dscn0841.jpg  

mtbr member
    Not that it matters now as I think I fit perfect in the 16" but I wish I had that picture of your 18" along with the same of an 16" before hand. The top tube being only 1" longer I cannot see.
    Neither is the .75" longer wheel base visible to my eyes. I can however see the difference in standover and seat post clamp height by gauging it off the height of the rear tire.
    It would be nice if all manufacturers had side shots of each size frame. I now how difficult it must be to take five pictures instead of one when you are selling products that can reach into the 5 digits /sarcasm.
    They all have one side shot but you are left guessing which size it is. Judging by your picture I think the Moto site one pictured was the 18". Which I kind of assumed as it would be the most common. If I measured
    correctly my inseam is 31.5- 32". That gave me theoretically 4.75" over the TT to work with. I do not have that, maybe 3" is more like it. Losing 1.75" off that 3" going into the 18" would make it very close to being uncomfortable
    if I needed that little bit extra.

mtbr member
    I pretty much have the same inseam as you, maybe a bit more because I measured in my socks. Also as you surmised my stand-over clearance is closer.

My biggest fit issue as I think about it is with the carbon bars I added. They are 680mm if I remember and they are too wide. I'm riding them uncut hoping I will adjust. If not and I end up having to trim them some that may be the best time to convert to SRAM Gripshifts, too. Sounds like a perfect Christmas present for myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

inseam measurement

i know this sounds funny but when measuring inseam for bike sizing should i measure from the bottom of my balls or at top of crotch? This is a good point not brought up much and i can see why.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weightweenie View Post
    ... This is a good point not brought up much and i can see why.
    I concur.

You measure from what is touching the seat when you sit.

mtbr member
    I used this way : How to Measure yourself for a custom bicycle - YouTube

That uses the crotch. The ball measurement makes more sense though, unless they are able to be tucked up inside for protection quickly like a ninja. See what I said in my reply above. My 31.5" inseam doesn't give me that 5" standover that it should have. I just remeasured it again just now to be sure. I also measured the standover on my 16" again. It is almost exactly 28". That is what the 18" frame is supposed to be. The box says 16" frame? That measurement was done exactly over the middle of the crank. Actually standing over the bike with my butt barely touching the front of the seat my crotch is further up the top tube at 29- 29.5 inches. That is real life standover as that is where I would be if I fell off the seat while riding. That makes sense because that gives me the roughly 3" that I thought I had before I made the real measurements just now. So either they sent me a 18" in a 16" labelled box or their measurements are off. Does that all make sense or did I confuse it more?

Edit- Measured the center of crank to seat post clamp at 16" so I guess it is in fact a 16" but that standover height they give is off it seems.

mtbr member
    I measured my 18" frame and up through the crank with nothing more accurate than eye balling with a measuring tape and I come up with 30". The chart shows 28.5". Makes me wonder if the factory listing is based on an 80mm fork?

Fly geo Motobecane USA | 26 inch Hardail Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    still confused, balls or crotch?

how much standover? some say .75"

my gut tells me a 18" frame. i seem to be in between 16" and 18". with the 16" i feel like a big kid who stole a bike.

I'm 5'8" inseam 31

have to decide between a 16" or 18" 26er in the motobecane fly

thanks,
    eric

mtbr member
    .75" standover? I think that's for road bikes. Everything I've read on it said at least 2-5" for mountain. I'd take a measuring tape with you to your LBS and even Walmart/Kmart/wherever.
    Find a bike with a 28 and 30 inch standover height and that will give you your answer. Don't measure above the crank but rather where your fellas will be at when you pop off the seat.
    The way the standover is measured on the Moto site seems to be off. Forget what the Moto site measurements are, we measured the bike in person. If you measured your inseam
    correctly and we measured the bar correct(I measured it several times now) then you have about 1-2.5" of actual room on a 16" if you slip off the seat. Remember that slope in the top tube.
    I imagine the 28" Carolina measured translates to 29-29.5", so that gives you 0.5-1" on an 18".

I just remeasured to be make this as exact as possible for you. Look at the first pictures I posted for this. If I stand over the bike off the seat with my butt just touching the front of the seat
    which is where I'd be if I came off there while riding, my crotch is centered over the "O" in Pro on the top tube. My nuts are touching the top tube at this point. It is exactly 29.25 inches at that point.
    That gives me exactly 2.25-2.75" to catch myself before my crotch hits that tube when falling off depending on how I measured my inseam. If I use the book method in the video I posted it
    varies 0.5 depending on how much pressure I push on the book for that measurement. The book just touching it, my inseam measures 31.5 and putting some pressure on it maybe 32".
    At the center of the crankshaft is exactly 27.5" to the TT. That measure doesn't mean anything as if you look in my photo directly above the center of the crankshaft is the end of the seat.
    So in conclusion if you indeed measured correctly and get a 16" frame you seem safer. An 18" probably will work also but you'll have less room for error in a slip off the seat.

AZ
    banned
    Guy's, frame size is chosen based upon top tube length and reach to the bars, not upon stand over. Competitive Cyclist has a usefull fit calculator that will yield excellent data as long as accurate info is logged into it.

Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    I agree with AZ TT is more important and I have virtually no standover.

mtbr member
    I also agree with the TT being most important. That is mostly due to having it beaten into my head although I am using a TT that is 1" shorter than I am supposed to be in. According to fitment calculators, I was supposed to be in the 18" Moto. I should be in a frame with a 22.5" TT. The 18" version has exactly that but the 16" fits me fine. I don't know, maybe an inch here and there is not really that important. I still appreciate the couple inches I have of extra by going 16" though in case I drop on that tube. The link above for fitment is broke. That's what I used also. Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist