mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2010 Motobecane 500HT for 369.00??

Guys,

My LBS has a new 2010 Moto 500HT for 369.00, its the maroon color.....they said that they wouldn't budge off the price since it's new, even though it's a 2010 model. They actually said it normally goes for 429.00 because of the lifetime service. What are ya'lls thoughts on this model vs. a Dawes? They also have a 600HT for 399.00, but i'd like to stay under 400.00 out the door.

thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The 500ht is not a very nice bike. I would not pay that much for it, you can get a much nicer 2010 big brand bike on clearance for that price which will be much nicer. I personally would not recommend any Motobecane/bikesdirect bikes other than the Fantom and Fly series bikes.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

DynoDon
    I'm jealous you have a Motobecane dealer locally, (I buy from Bikers Direct) of course the more you spend the better bike you'll be getting, I don't know about Dawes, but I've got 2 Motobecanes and think their great bikes. Get the best bike you can afford, there is a Dawes for a bit more that has SLX derailleur, the more you pay the better the componets, I'd save up and get the best bike you can..Good Luck

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah man, I have 2 Cycle Spectrum bike shops!! They still don't stock all the Moto's or Dawes..Windsors, but they do have a few i've mentioned. They definitely don't carry the higher end bikes in the shop. The guys are pretty cool and they just opened a 3rd shop, but only beach cruisers! Which Dawes are you talking about? 1500 Haymaker? So you think the 500HT would be ok? Not sure what kind of name brand close out bikes i can get for the 370.00 range, i've been to the LBS shops that have Trek and LBS shops that have Cannondale and Giant, the only bikes i've found are:

New 2010 Trek 3500 for $300 Trek 3700 for over 400.00
    New 2011 Giant Revel 2 $369.00

Anything other than that was well over the 400.00 range.

Thoughts??

DynoDon
    The high end Moto's are usually sold out at BD too, I have a Fantom Comp, and a Fantom Team, so I'd like you to wait until you can afford a Fantom Trail or better, but I know how hard it is to wait, it sounds like those shops are going to need extra help soon, maybe a second job for ya..LOL!!!
    Yes it was the Haymaker 1500 with the SLX I mentioned, but Shimano LX is better, and XT is better yet..it would probably be worth the wait.if you can..
    All I can say is, "Good Luck" and "Happy Trails"

mtbr member
    it really comes down to the fit, the components and the fork. Having a Motobecane frame has allowed me to have a really nice fork, my components have all come from the parts box. I've loved my Fantom Elite for the 3 years that I've had it. I do wish I had bought the HT instead with a burlier fork though. kind of depends on where you live and what you plan to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah man, mostly paived trails, hard packed sand and some trails. But would be nice to have some nicer components for future endeavors!

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by broz
    it really comes down to the fit, the components and the fork. Having a Motobecane frame has allowed me to have a really nice fork, my components have all come from the parts box. I've loved my Fantom Elite for the 3 years that I've had it. I do wish I had bought the HT instead with a burlier fork though. kind of depends on where you live and what you plan to ride.
    This is true...

The HT bikes are nice for their price range…

My up bringing was of a modest one, and I’ve always had what people considered low end bikes. When I paid $180 for a MTB. I was very happy with it and road the wheels off that thing. My first entry into full suspension, cost around $300...sure it only had 60mm of travel. But, I was always happy with the bike as well. Hell, it weighed around 40 lbs. But, I still road it 65miles in one sitting, and had it for years.

I didn’t pay over $700 dollars for a bike until I was around 37 years old… That was my Moto, an 07 Fantom Elite. It’s probably the most photographed object I ever owned.

My point is, and I said this before. One mans silver is another mans gold. If you’re happy, that’s all that's important.
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 08-22-2010 at 08:09 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

S*it Happens!
    Here is the only photo of my old 40 lb beast...

-_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Bushwacker
    That's a mountain bike on steriods Fred! The Jeep lineage in spades.

Get what you can afford and have fun tricking it out later. I think it's more fun that way. Waiting around is for airport security lines.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    Here is the only photo of my old 40 lb beast...

I be that thing would have flew if you dropped in the famous Jeep 4.0ltr
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

S*it Happens!
    One fun aspect about owning that bike, was the upper body workout I received. I lived on the third floor at the time. So before and after my rides, I had the fun time of carrying it up and down all those steps.

Benefit of ownership.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)