mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2009 Fly Ti Sweet!!

Here's my new 2009 Fly Ti.

[IMG][/IMG]

I put some other wheeels I had on it for now. ShimanoXT Disc UST with IRC Serac tubeless tires. I plan on installing some Continental Mohntain Kings and converting them to tubeless on the Vuelta wheels that came with this bike

[IMG][/IMG]

I changed out the cassette, handlebars and stem also.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a picture from the other side.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got about 20 miles on it so far and I must say it is a sweet riding bike.

tcufrog02
    That's a sweet bike. Where did you get the grips?

bi-winning
    looks good.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That is a nice bike! Why is there a Motobecane sticker on only one side of the downtube, is it supposed to be that way?
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, very sweet! Thank you for sharing.

I see that you put in a SRAM PG990 cassette. Did you have to replace the chain to accommodate the 32/34 sprocket (though it looks like it's still the OE KMC X9SL)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went for quality pedals for this bike also. These XTR pedals rock. I hope these carbon cranks can handle the rocks here in Western Virginia.

[IMG][/IMG]

I just noticed the outer QR nut and washer has come out of the left side crank arm.

[IMG][/IMG]

I've got a 25 mile ride to do with my kids tomorrow, not sure if I should ride this bike like this.

The grips are ODI Ruffian, found them on sale somewhere and thought I'd give the Gold a shot. The stock chain is working fine with the SRAM 990 cassette so far.

I have successfully removed the MOTOBECANE sticker from both sides of the frame now. It's not really a sticker, more like paint, so if you plan on removing yours be prepared to use some elbow grease.

This is a 20" frame and the bike weighs 22.7 pounds the way you see it.

Bushwacker
    Please elaborate on how you removed the decals and if the process damaged the paint underneath.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    To remove the Motobecane name from the down tube I did the following:

Acetone to remove as much as possible, mainly the color and ended up with just the outline left on the bike. Then I used a scotchbrite fine sanding pad and wet sanded the rest off. It took about 10-15 minutes per side to remove the name.

The frame itself is unpainted so no worries there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowind
    To remove the Motobecane name from the down tube I did the following:

Acetone to remove as much as possible, mainly the color and ended up with just the outline left on the bike. Then I used a scotchbrite fine sanding pad and wet sanded the rest off. It took about 10-15 minutes per side to remove the name.

The frame itself is unpainted so no worries there.
    Now you need to paint "Litespeed" on it and have everybody fooled.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    Please elaborate on how you removed the decals and if the process damaged the paint underneath.
    I have removed extra decals from stays using citrus paint remover gel, wiping it off with cleaning solution from the same shelf at Osh. Took 2 minute, no elbow grease necessary.

I like a less cluttered look when possible. I will probably remove the Motobecane decals for the same reason, but not until I recommend it to my friends.

I always remove all decals and stickers from parts. Obsessive-compulsive.