mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2009 Fly Pro sizing

has anyone got a previous year Fly Pro, and how did they like it???

they are listing 20" as their biggest size, fitting riders 6'1" and taller- i am 6'2" with a 35' inseam, anyone any experience with their fit???

the bike sounds like great value- i saw the thread in the other forum about motobecane having a bad rep with customer service, but i am from an MX background so i am used to breaking and then fixing my bike.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fly_pro_09.htm

Former Bike Wrench
    If you weigh more than about 180lbs your probably not going to like the fork. While the bike is a "2009", it comes with a 2007 SID which uses quite small 28mm legs and is notoriously flexy. It also comes with a road cassette which only gives you a 27t low gear vs the standard 32t or 34t. And lastly is comes with paper thin tires that aren't good for much.

For your height and assumed weight (unless your a beanpole, I'll assume at least 180lbs) I would suggest these two bikes in your price range from Bikes Direct
    -Windsor Cliff 29er Team
    -Motobecane Fantom Elite (since the Pro is only available in 16" right now)

With your MX background, your probably going to like the ride better and they come with actual trail worthy tires and gears...not to mention 32mm legged forks that will offer much better performance.

Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    cool, thanks for the feedback- i did wonder if a bike that light would be durable- lots of comprimises to get the weight off, and to shave off another $200 from the top price is good too. i did notice that the cassette didnt have the 34 cog either- i saw a similar setup on the trek 6000 i was looking at....so can i swap out the spring on thet 351 fork????

the Fantom certainly looks like it would work for me- i did talk to a buddy about the 29er, i know they are stable but thats not my thing- ive run Suzuki RMs for years since they are the best turning/twitchyest MX bikes out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    oopps, i did a search- i see that fork is an airspring....no worries.

mtbr member

Sid

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    If you weigh more than about 180lbs your probably not going to like the fork. While the bike is a "2009", it comes with a 2007 SID which uses quite small 28mm legs and is notoriously flexy. It also comes with a road cassette which only gives you a 27t low gear vs the standard 32t or 34t. And lastly is comes with paper thin tires that aren't good for much.

For your height and assumed weight (unless your a beanpole, I'll assume at least 180lbs) I would suggest these two bikes in your price range from Bikes Direct
    -Windsor Cliff 29er Team
    -Motobecane Fantom Elite (since the Pro is only available in 16" right now)

With your MX background, your probably going to like the ride better and they come with actual trail worthy tires and gears...not to mention 32mm legged forks that will offer much better performance.

Just my $0.02

I dunno, looks like the new fly pro's have the 100mm SID upgrade and the bottoms look to have the pattern for the 32mm stanchions. Could be the 2008 SID race

Former Bike Wrench

Compare and Contrast

Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    I dunno, looks like the new fly pro's have the 100mm SID upgrade and the bottoms look to have the pattern for the 32mm stanchions. Could be the 2008 SID race
    Look at the picture of the 2009 Fly Pro...concentrating on the fork.

2007 SID Team

2007 SID Race

2008 SID Race

Pretty clear its a 2007 which has 28mm legs

mtbr member

look

at the "'factory upgrade" link under the front tire in the picture on the BD site. Pretty sure that is the 2008 32 mm SID race they are showing in that link. The one in the picture of the bike is indeed the 28mm SID, but supposedly that is not the one that actually comes with the bike
    Last edited by stevemtu; 08-27-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Former Bike Wrench

I see

Quote Originally Posted by stevemtu
    at the "'factory upgrade" link under the front tire in the picture on the BD site. Pretty sure that is the 2008 32 mm SID race they are showing in that link. The one in the picture of the bike is indeed the 28mm SID, but supposedly that is not the one that actually comes with the bike
    That would be a nice upgrade...I would still rather have a bike with real off road tires and cassette but at least the fork is a better choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i just checked the fantom elite...xtr on the rear, plus its got the recon 351 fork which doesnt look too bad.

they only have the fantom pro in small right now.