mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Smile 2008 Moto Team Fly Ti XTR (26er) price?

I'm new around here and looking to get back into MTB. I'm retiring my old GF Hoo Koo E. Koo and looking into Ti hardtails.

A complete 2008 Team Fly Ti that has XTR shifters and derailleurs, rockshox SID, Juicy Ultimate brakes popped up on CL asking $1,100. The bike is completely stock save for Race Face carbon bars, Panaracer tires, and Shimano 525 pedals. Bike seems to be in good condition.

Even with the older XTR parts, does that seem a reasonable price? I'd appreciate any input.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Brand new with warranty will run you around $1,900 for a 26" Team Fly ti (~21lbs), $1800 for the 29er with a Reba/X9 (~26lbs). Since it's over 5 years old, I'd go for $900 to $1000 if it was really good condition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Brand new with warranty will run you around $1,900 for a 26" Team Fly ti (~21lbs), $1800 for the 29er with a Reba/X9 (~26lbs). Since it's over 5 years old, I'd go for $900 to $1000 if it was really good condition.
    Warranty is only on the frame right? Is there anything I should look out for when buying used Ti?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have to ask others about the titanium frameset, I can't justify getting one with my skilset. I have bought bikes from bikesdirect, so I'm familiar with their customer service. Haven't had to warranty a major item, but I know from experience that if something is damaged in shipping or is missing, they have taken care of it. Took a few days for an e-mail response, but it was around the holiday's last year.

As for warranty, their Ti frames are warrantied for life ("a hundred years" on their website, wish I could live a hundred years), and everything else is pretty much through the component manufacturer's warranty. But since they are legitimate parts, you should be able to go to your LBS that does service on those parts and they should be able to initiate a warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I picked up a 26" 09 fly ti for abit less a few weeks ago. Definately a great bike for the $. Personally if your gonna spend $1100, I'd opt to save and get the warranty on a new one, unless you know the guy and can get or pay him to submit a claim in the event an issue occurs. If your willing to roll the dice you probably are still not gonna beat what you can get in that price range.

Things to looks for, obviously cracks or dents in frame, as well as fork condition are the biggies.

If your in Ohio, I might be tempted to sell mine, as I've been eyeing those motobacon fat bikes since they came out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Steve, did yours come with the XTR shifters+derailleurs? How much did you pay for yours, if you don't mind me asking?

If there aren't obvious dents/cracks can I assume the structure is likely sound?
    Last edited by mike.h; 12-26-2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: add question

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I paid only $500, which I find to be a steal. The guy had been asking $900 for a few weeks and apparently got no bites through a newspaper(these still exist?) I emailed and contacted him within 2 minutes of it being posted on Craigslist.

Honestly, if I had $900 I think would still be a good deal, its alot of bike for the money. However, $500 is the most I've ever spent on a bike by a few hundred dollars. I prefer to have a nice stable of bikes instead of one $$$$ bike.

I'm not positive, but I believe mine is mostly SLX components.

Im in the process of upgrading some parts to shed some weight, I should be able to get this under 20lbs for less than $1000 investment if I can catch a good deal on some tubeless wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Wow that is a steal! If you're serious about selling and willing to ship, PM me (I'm in California).

The seller seems to be pretty firm at $1000, so we'll see how bad I want it..

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    eh, Last time I shipped a bike it was over $100 in shipping and a few hours of time finding packaging, then disassembling, etc, pain in the butt IMO.

Sadly, Bikesdirect has sold out of the Fantom Fat bikes for $700, so Im just gonna roll with this ti for now. Already ordered a few parts to upgrade it, and lower the weight, hoping to get under 20lbs for under $1k.

Hopefully come March or next winter they should have some more fatties in stock and I will have moved some of my other bikes to get funds for one.

If its in good shape, for $1000, I highly doubt you'll find anything better for the money unless you want to wait awhile. I'd take a look at it. Generally the cheapest Ti frames alone run over $1000 themselves and the Sid fork is about $400.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Good point. I'll check it out today and post back on here!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Checked it out on Friday. The bike rides really well and is really clean. The front brake pads are rubbing a lot on the rotors. Could be another $20 - $30 in the shop. If I decide to get it, it will be on Wednesday..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    brake pads rubbing are probably a misalignment issue or just cleaning/bleeding the brakes. I'd do that with a bike I'd buy used anyway, just so I know they're good and to see how the pads are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The seller notified me today that he sold it it someone who paid his asking price. Good for him since he got how much he wanted, bad for me that I continue my search for a Ti hardtail! Thanks for all your input and help fellas.....