mtbr member

15" vs 17" PRO29 SL

So, I think I'm decided on getting a Fantom PRO29 SL and I've been emailing with BD about sizes...

I'm 5' 8.5" with about a 33" inseam in my mtn shoes and ride a 54cm road bike/54.4cm cross bike (54cm top tube/54.5 cm on the cross)...

I'm being told people my height are on both the 15" and the 17" with the 15" being a little more aggressive.... I'm not into an aggressive position and while I might race in the local grassroots series next year, I'm not looking for a "race" bike I don't think... I'm pretty much new to dirt an extremely new to 29ers...

so, I guess I'm thinking the 17" when they get back in stock... any thoughts?

Thanks and sorry for another "what size?" question... I really did search the archives the last few nights!

Chris
    Like is too short to grow up, go ride a bicycle!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm the same height with 31 inch inseam and I have the 15 inch Pro 29 SL that fit good. I had to increase the seat post to 400 mm. I suspect the 17 would be the better size,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfg15
    I'm the same height with 31 inch inseam and I have the 15 inch Pro 29 SL that fit good. I had to increase the seat post to 400 mm. I suspect the 17 would be the better size,
    thanks, that's what I'm afraid of if I get the 15"... I don't want a really long seat post as I assume that increases the saddle to bar drop into a more aggressive position?

Thanks,
    Chris

Trail Ninja
    I'm 5' 7" and got the 15.5" ti 29er and had to get a 400mm seat post too. I feel fairly comfortable, not cramped at all and my knees don't come close to the stem or handlebars even with hardshell knee/shin guards, though my handlebar is a good 2-3" above my saddle.

My 17.5" GF in comparison stretches me out too much, though the front end is lower. The GF steers quicker too. Kind of odd since they both have practically identical geometry, except the Rig only has 80mm of travel up front. Must be that G2 fork offset I guess.

mtbr member
    I don't suppose there is anyone in the San Diego area that has one of these is there?

mtbr member
    any more input? I think I'm going to go with the 17", just want to make sure...

BTW- I just found out the 2011v bike come with the new Dynasys drivetrain...

Got a suspension fork
    fwiw, I've had great success using the Competitive Cycles Fit Calculator for both Road and MTB.

Here is a link to the MTB Fit Calculator, you'll need somebody to help you get all the measurements, but I think the correct fit is essential, no bike no matter how inexpensive is not a good deal if it doesn't fit you. I'd actually guess a 19" frame for you based on ETT.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    fwiw, I've had great success using the Competitive Cycles Fit Calculator for both Road and MTB.

Here is a link to the MTB Fit Calculator, you'll need somebody to help you get all the measurements, but I think the correct fit is essential, no bike no matter how inexpensive is not a good deal if it doesn't fit you. I'd actually guess a 19" frame for you based on ETT.
    thanks!

I was able to test ride a comparable bike at Performance, while the numbers aren't exactly the same they're pretty close...

The Performance Access 29er in 19" felt the best... when comparing to the Moto, the ETT on the 19" Access is more in line with the 17" Moto...

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fourflys

so, I guess I'm thinking the 17" when they get back in stock... any thoughts?

Chris
    I e-mailed BD about the 17" and was told there will be no more in the SL. I just got the PRO in 17" via the store in Jacksonville, FL. I'm 10 1/2" tall. I could have gone with the 19" but when I tried it I felt stretched out while the 17" seemed just right for me.