mtbr member
    Dec 2008

07' Moto Fantom DS Elite or 09' Fantom DS Comp?

Hi folks,

I've been riding road bikes for years and have just started mountain biking. It is an absolute blast...so now I need to find a mountain bike.

I bought a Moto road bike several years ago and it has been great. I am now trying to decide between the two bikes listed above. The Elite has a much better fork (RS Revelation) and other bits, but I'm worried that the frame and other parts are two years old. However, if there haven't been any changes to the frame and primary components then this worry may be irrelevant. Both bikes are $999.

Thanks in advance for your advice...

mtbr member
    is the Elite a new bike? or used?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It's a new bike...

mtbr member
    ill get the elite, and then upgrade components as they break, i own myself a Comp DS and already upgrade front shock,handlebar,cassette,rims,headset and crankset , with the elite you get better componets and better shoxs so you dont need to upgrade right away, that is my opinion , no that the Comp is bad or need to be upgrade it right away but i think you will like better a 27 or so lbs, bike than a 32,5 lbs bike , well i do

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Not a lot has changed with the Motobecanes over the past 2 years, so I would go with the 07 Elite.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Many thanks, Armandeus and ljsmith! I appreciate your perspective and am definitely leaning towards the Elite. I asked BikesDirect a question about the frame and once I hear from them I will make a decision.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    i'm sure you will enjoy any of those bikes, i do on mine