Thread: Zirkel Qs

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Zirkel Qs

Zirkel owners can give some input/comments on how does the rear suspension pedal on smooth trails? does it bob like a boat on choppy water thus absolutely needs the PP on or is it more or less neutral?
    looking for a bike for my wife n i wouldn'd want to hate it like my 1st bike(stumpy) which i sold pretty fast.. especially so considering a Zirkel is no small change..

testing is out as there is no demo units at my dealer.. so any inputs/comment is much appreciated.

thanx

mtbr member
    The rear shock setup will have most to say about how the suspension "bobs" during flat riding. Set up stiff it's going to ride stiff, set up soft and any rider could experence "bobbing" if their pedaling style isn't smooth.Pro pedal was developed to help resolve this compromise, but no bike should "bob like a boat on choppy water". The shock should deliver dampening on both the compression and rebound to prevent seasickness. Working with a good suspension tech, or taking time to properly set up the shock's adjustments to your riding style is as important as getting the right size, and can make a world of difference in ride quality.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yes pro-pedal was designed to counter bobbing i know. juz asking cos some rear sus was designed such that pedal induced bob is countered or neutralised even wo pp on, vpp abp or dw for instance.. as i mentioned my 1st bike was a Stumpy FSR which i sold off quickly, whereas my later bikes BlurLT n Trek Ex8 had much better pedalling characteristics.. on the flats at least.

i believe in good workmanship, dats y i am looking seriously at Moots. but i also believe in good rear sus design, rather than employing a shock design to make up for the shortfall for the design..

fwiw the stumpy trumps my other 2 bikes i had on the climbs n descent, but really felt lousy on the flats wo pp on, which i almost never used on the other 2 bikes..

mtbr member
    Curious, have you ever ridden a Stumpy with a brain? I'm considering a Moots full squish 29er and am currently on an FSR.

I'm a large Clyde and don't want a wet noodle under my legs.

mtbr member
    I'm a large Clyde and don't want a wet noodle under my legs.

That's what she said...LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the one i rode had no brain..

with the rave reviews on the latest Brain shock,i am also considering the current Epic, after the Zirkel and Sycip DD.. but carbon would be the last on my list, no offence to carbon bike owners.

unfortunately my local dealer cant seems to get Moots to response to my queries on custom pricing and production lead time. the last time it happen i got a Lynskey instead cos the local dealer for Lynskey do response to all my Qs.. Good product Good CS
    now i am not so sure if i can count on Moots for Good CS??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Moots CS is really good, in my experience. I believe the custom upcharge is around $400 above regular cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i am sure Moots do not take CS lightly, but the problem seems to be the local dealer here..

mtbr member
    Call moots yourself, and then find another dealer.
    http://www.moots.com/#/your_moots_dealer/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Call moots yourself, and then find another dealer.
    http://www.moots.com/#/your_moots_dealer/
    ya thanx.. will give the local guys another wk or so.. anyway does Moots work w end users?

cheers

mtbr member
    Moots factory will not sell to the public but if you call and want a bike they will steer you to a dealer that will bust a$$ and sell you one, if your's does not want to make the sale.