mtbr member
    Jan 2004

YBBs: Welding Disc Tabs or Brake Therapy

I did a search on this topic, nothing came up.

I have a 2001 YBB. It's V-brake only and was looking into ways to get disc brakes to work on it. There's a few brake therapy adapters that may fit.

Moots charges $350 for the welding and refinishing. That's more than I'm willing to spend on such an old frame.

Anyone else have tabs welded on or use the adapters?
    We Ride In God's Country!

ybbeaten
    I thought that Paul Components once had an adaptor. BUT I think the 350 is well worth the disc adaptor with full refinish. Your frame will look brand new with new decals. Plus I think they overhaul/replace the slider. Good luck
    Ride to work and work to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, but $350 is still too much for me. I'd rather put that money elsewhere than into a 7 y/o frame, Moots or otherwise. That's just me, different for you.

I've also heard of Ti sports charging $150 for welding disc tabs even on other brands at one point. Don't know if they still do that.

Anyhow, my question was about anyone having tabs welded on or adapters.

Anyone?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Adapters will always feel like a band aid. Been there done that. Discs need a s-o-l-i-d mount and there just isn't an adapter out there that's up to the task for proper use. Work a couple of extra shifts or hyper mile of a month and pay the $350 - you'll end up with a frame that looks like new and you won't regret it. If you truely need discs $350 on the mount is the best upgrade for the bike you can buy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Actually, I did use adapters back in the day when discs were first coming out. This was on my downhill bike too. It felt fine.

My question then is not how do they feel but has anyone put adapters on to their YBB.

Who pickin the banjo?
    Send it to Moots and pay the $350.

Not only will they do the disc tabs, YBB rebuild, they may also do the seat tube replacement that some of the late 90's to early 00 Moots' need.
    "We ought never to look behind us with regret nor ahead with fear, but around us with awareness."

Ride, Sleep, Work
    I had tabs put on my 2001 RigorMootis 9 months ago. I spent about two months calling companies looking for an adaptor that would fit, but I could not find one that would work with the Breezer dropouts.

I say send it to Moots and put the tabs on. Your frame is like new and you will be jonesing for your frame by the time it comes back. It like getting a new bike, but cost less than a new Moots.

DO IT!! GET THE TABS.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    Actually, I did use adapters back in the day when discs were first coming out. This was on my downhill bike too. It felt fine.

My question then is not how do they feel but has anyone put adapters on to their YBB.

I think it's obvious no one has or would use those half-assed adaptors, particularly on a Moots.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    If you are too cheep to spend $350 to upgrade your bike properly, how did you ever justify gettting a moots to begin with? You could always e-bay your old frame, and get a new bike.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by menachite
    Not only will they do the disc tabs, YBB rebuild, they may also do the seat tube replacement that some of the late 90's to early 00 Moots' need.
    Does anyone know the details of this seat tube replacement issue?

I think it's worth spending the money to have Moots rework the frame.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Keep the v-brakes and save your money for a new frame....If your going to weld to a Moots frame than have Moots do it...If that option is to expensive for you than it wasn't meant to be...It just drives me crazy when people don't travel first class on a first class bike...Bad form my friend...Oh ya how much are the disc brakes...I say go with Avid BB5 since every other option is to expensive...7 years old doesn't mean ****....Look at what's rolling off the production line over seas as I type...

Do it right or don't do it at all
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer the kalmyk
    Do it right or don't do it at all
    Word!

mtbr member
    I put the $350 into getting my YBB frame updated, and when it was done, you would never be able to tell the difference between it and a new one (without a very close inspection). It is totally worth it and if the day comes when you do want to sell it, it will make it more marketable.

And, have you priced a Brake Therapy? If my memory serves me correctly, the one my friend just bought to update his old Ti GT Xizang put him back close to $200 for everything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you need $350 I will buy your old 2001 Moots YBB. <|8^}
    Last edited by Satellite; 10-04-2008 at 10:59 AM.