Thread: YBB with XX?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

YBB with XX?

Anyone set up a YBB with XX? What did you use in terms of sizes for crank/bb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you are talking a Mooto-X YBB, then there is no choice. You have to use a GXP bottom bracket (not press-fit) and the 26-39 chain rings are the only ones that will give you enough clearance from the chain stay. You can use the narrowest 156 mm q-factor without any problem.
    Last edited by Slammer107; 06-05-2010 at 03:39 AM.

42t
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not a YBB, but I have the 166Q XX 39/26 crankset with a Chris King BB on my Mooto. Decent chainring clearance, but not sure if the 156Q would fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    A 156 Q-factor would work on your bike but it isn't worth worrying about for 5 millimeters difference on each side.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammer107
    A 156 Q-factor would work on your bike but it isn't worth worrying about for 5 millimeters difference on each side.
    been meaning to ask... you having any chainsuck problems in the small ring with 156q cranks or is it just me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I haven't had one problem with chain suck once my crank was properly installed. Q-factor has nothing to do with chain line issues and that is generally the reason for chain suck (unless your drive train is really dirty). Make sure you have one black spacer on either side of your bottom bracket and not two on one side. If your crank isn't centered with the frame, you will have chain suck problems. Some intstallers will put both spacers on the drive side in an effort to pull the chain rings away from the chain stay a bit. This technique is not recommended by SRAM and it will cause problems with chain suck.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Mooto-X YBB with full XX, will post thoughts afterwards.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by signalMTB
    I just ordered a Mooto-X YBB with full XX, will post thoughts afterwards.
    Did you get your Moots yet?

mtbr member
    I did...only been able to put about a 100 miles on it since I got though. I posted some overall thoughts here (first impressions on a Moots 29er), but relative to the XX group...I like it. I've been riding Sram shifting for a few years now and hands down, I love it over Shimano. The gearing is so precise and immediate. I cant really notice a difference over the XX shifting compared to my old X9 group honestly. The XX brakes feel amazing, effortless. The 2x10 is perfect on the YBB, though I am considering converting to a 1x10, simply because I'll never get in that big ring more than once a year maybe...and that's just because it's there.

I'm still trying to dial -in my cockpit with stem rise and length...more to come.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB