Squalor
    Jan 2004

YBB Spring Options

Ok, from what I understand there are two different spring options for the YBB.

My bike now has the standard spring, which I believe to be the stiffer of the two.

Any input on the softer spring? Weight range? Anybody switched between the two? Much of a difference?

I'm about 160 geared up. I'm getting about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch travel max. Never gotten any more than that. Rides super, but wondering if changing out the spring would soften things up even more.

Thanks

LP

rider
    Lanpope - I'm thinking two springs available but no choice as to spring rate. The spring is based on the frame size, maybe that's just the slider and the springs are the same length? I have a new rebuild kit and I can measure the spring if you'd like.

Rebuild kit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swami Scott
    Lanpope - I'm thinking two springs available but no choice as to spring rate. The spring is based on the frame size, maybe that's just the slider and the springs are the same length? I have a new rebuild kit and I can measure the spring if you'd like.

Rebuild kit

There are two spring rates. They put different springs in different sized frames following the logic that a larger frame carries a heavier rider. I do not think one spring is longer than the other, they should be same length, but different guage. If you call moots, they can get you either spring. I do know that all the Mooto-X's come with the heavier spring, I dont know which 26 inch wheeled bikes get which springs.

Lanpope, are you measuring this 1/2 to 3/4 inch based on marking on the slider? If that is the case, you are actually getting more wheel travel than you think. Kind of like a 2 inch stroke shock can give 4 inches of rear wheel travel, depending on suspension design. It is obviously not a 2:1 ratio on the moots, but you get the idea. I just checked and there is exactly 5/8 inch wear on my slider, and I am 210 loaded up on a 18" mooto-X and I am sure I have bottomed it out enough that it would have made markings. The Bottoming out is not real harsh either, that is what the elastomer is inserted in there for.

I think at 160 you could get the lighter weight spring, but I would call them to discuss.
    Ride Your Bicycle