Delirious Tuck

YBB + slight drops...

Being a NE rider we get a lot of rocks and some natural drops in our singletrack and I'm wondering what people are comfortable taking their YBBs off. I have a six inch travel bike for the crazy stuff but want to get an idea of what has been done on a YBB. This is my XC bike and I ride it as such, but I don't like walking an obstacle if I can ride it.

I love my moots so don't want to hurt it.

mtbr member
    Depends on the slope of the landing zone. I regularly take mine off two drops on my local singletrack that are about 15 and 30 inches, and land to flat. That is about as high as I go landing to flat, but if there is a good slope, I will go a bit higher, not much though. This is mainly due to fear of me screwing it up somehow, though.

FWIF, I do the same two drops on a Ti rigid SS, also 29er. These bikes are tough and well made. Not saying we can abuse them, just that I am less scared of failure on these than on some big company alloy bike.
    Ride Your Bicycle

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think the YBB should be fine over light drops. I don't do huge drops myself, but I have caught a little air on my Rigor (probably no more than 18"). I wouldn't be afraid to do the the same on my YBB, but then I am very light, so I doubt if I could damage any frame unless it had a defect to begin with.

slow
    I weigh 165lb and ride a YBB Superlight. I don't do big drops, but I don't baby it, either. I'm not afraid to ride it off something up to about 2 feet. Usually I am rolling pretty fast, or landing an incline - none of the standing drops to flat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ride it till it breaks. I've never seen one break from riding a big drop. I did a race in telluride years ago with a 2.5 foot drop in a loop we did 5 times No problems then, or in the ten years I have been riding my YBB. I've even bottomed out the travel, and it springs back and keeps going. I would bet your wheels will go before the frame.

Delirious Tuck
    Wheels have gone already, good excuse for a new chris king hub... I'm going to treat it gingerly, not too lovingly not too aggressively.