mtbr member
    Feb 2006

YBB and a rigid fork?

Putting money down on a new Moots Moot-x in the coming weeks and I am completely sold on the ybb. But most of the time I run a rigid fork. Does anyone else run this combination, and if so how does it ride in this configuration.

thanks!

Bike Freak
    A rigid fork on a YBB(Y Be Beaten)?
    It seems like a complete contradiction...
    My bikes [Fe][C]ycles

Spooooon!
    I recall a guy was riding a Dos Niner with a rigid fork, which is not much different from a YBB configured the same way. I'm planning on getting a rigid fork to run with my YBB in the winter. I run it with a Fox most of the time, but crank the compression damping up to resist bob and only blow off when it hits the largest bumps.

Bike Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    ...I run it with a Fox most of the time, but crank the compression damping up to resist bob and only blow off when it hits the largest bumps.
    I thought I read an article somewhere where they interviewed someone from Fox and he specifically recommended against doing this as it puts undo pressure on the seals.

hmm... gonna have to go digging through my back issues of mbaction...
    My bikes [Fe][C]ycles

Spooooon!
    That could very well be the case, but it would be a shame if using a feature of the shock caused it to fail. Eventually, I'll put a nice Potts Type II fork on the Moots and call it good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've been running a rigid on a 26" YBB for 7 or 8 years now. Awesome ride if you get the length and rake right. Call Moots, they were super helpful with me. I had Wily build mine up. I also have have a 29" Wily hardtail that Quiring built a rigid fork for. Since Wily isn't "really" around anymore, I would recommend Quiring for the build.

BTW The YBB was originally designed for a rigid fork, so you're just getting back to the heart of the design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks! That is exactly the sort of information that I was looking to hear about. There is no "disconnect" between the rigid and ybb?

mtbr member
    I ran a Ti Blacksheep fork with 20mm thru axle for a few months last summer and LOVED it. Both ends had just the right amount of "give".

I had a Quiring SS built and switched the Fork to that and put a fox on the Moots, which I run pretty stiff. Even if the seals do where out quicker, its a pretty easy job to install new seals.

I definitely plan to buy another TI Blacksheep and run the Moots that way again. Maybe not permanent, but really liked the feel.

FYI, my Blacksheep was 470mm A-C, 47mm rake and made with the .070 wall tubing. IT rode awesome, both steering and compliance.

Hmmmm....maybe I should go ahead and email James about that, might even have it for spring.
    Ride Your Bicycle

Living Life Behind Bars..

another for the blacksheep option.

I run a Blacksheep ti fork on my Silk ti 29 and it is great. I really only planned running this set up in winter but put it on in the early fall of last year and did a few enduro's on it and it was great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Funny thing is how well "connected" the bike feels running rigid. I stick a '09 sid on it for endurance races and can't get past the disconnected feel it brings.