Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

YBB Purchase

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tigoat 
#1 ·
Hey fellow Moots owners, I’m getting ready to pull the trigger in a custom 29r Mooto X YBB. I just sold my Lynskey which I love, it handled like a dream. The reason for the switch is I want to try the softail design. I do a lot of aggressive SS riding and racing and a little cush in the rear would be a welcome feel for my aging 50 year old body. After riding a HT SS this year, I love the quickness and responsiveness of the HT design as compared to my other race bike which is a full squish 5” travel carbon DW link.

One concern is the stem length for the build, Moots and some dealers recommend a 100mm length and I am currently running a 80mm on my Lynskey. I have to run this shorter length because of the longer ETT length that comes on the medium size frame (23.75).

Since I’ve never ran a stem that long, I’m very nervous about the build. Obviously I want the best handling set up as possible, but building a bike and buying a frame site UN seen is very nerve-racking to say the least. Especially one with this price tag.

I ride very technical tight single track where you constantly are moving around on the bike, so I guess I’m a bit nervous about being too far forward , or i.e. over the front wheel with the 100mm.

What do you guys feel about this?

Mojo

See less See more
#3 ·
It is a custom frame right? This means you can customize the geometry to your heart content assumming you know your geometry. Obviously you have to know your geometry since you have had a Lynskey. I am a road bike junkies but I decided to get into mountain biking recently so I just placed an order for a Salsa El Mariachi Ti this week, which is basically a Lynskey. FYI, I have several titanium road bikes including a custom Moots and all of them have a custom ti 85 mm stem. You could shorten the frame and go with a longer stem or vice versas. Good luck.

#4 ·
Yes custom it is and thats my delemma, a 100mm stem with a slightly shorter ETT. Although the 23" ETT with 100mm stem will have the same reach as my current 23.75 ETT with a 80mm stem, I'm not sure how the bike will handle being over the bars more. A 100mm seams so much more longer than an 80mm.

I guess it might be a case of the custom jitters.

Mojo

#6 ·
Yes, thats one way, but Moots and many Moots dealers say 100mm is the way to go. Again, just not sure how the bike will feel being that much more over the bars. Probably better traction in the corners. So I'm leaning towards 23.15 (588mm) ETT and a 100mm stem, I will probably be able to run both stem lengths if need be with just a slight adjustment of my bars.

Mojo

#7 ·
Not sure if .5" in ETT will make much difference in reach but don't forget that stem stack height is also part of the equation as well. You could also leave your ETT alone and go with a 100 mm stem but raise it up slightly to compensate for the reach. Personally, I think the ETT is the most important parameter, as it cannot be changed once the frame is made, while stem lenght and stack height are paraemters that can be changed accordingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.