mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. ybb? hardtail with comfort factor

I am in a quandry and need some help.I currently ride a titis racerx 100 most of the time andwhen it was in the shop I dug out my sons Raleigh talas hardtail and went riding.I was able to easily keep up with guys that on my racer x i could not even see.This was on a two hour ride with a little of everything trailwise.My lower back was just a little sore but not to bad.Soooo,now I am thing that I need another bike that is like the hard tail but with just a little squisy.I race sport 50+ and think maybe the ybb is the bike for me.Any insight would be appreciated.I am thinking the 17" would be the size.I am 5'7.5" with an inseam of 31.5 " and weigh 153.

ybbeaten
    You can't go wrong with a YBB. I have one a love it!! I would call Moots for specific advice on the size you need (fantastic customer service) or head to your LBS.

Is your son's hardtail alumminum? That may explain your sore back as well. Ti is pretty forgiving and with the 1"1/8 in the rear, it is the best of both worlds. Plus tubeless helps as well.

Good luck!
    Ride to work and work to ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just ordered a Mooto X YBB, which is their 29er with the YBB. For the type of riding I do, I really don't need full-sus but I want a little something to take the edge off. After lots of discussion with people on boards and the LBS, I went with the YBB. You can always lock it out if you want full on hard tail performance.

I wasn't able to test ride a Moots before ordering. See if you live near somewhere that has a test fleet or near a fat tire festival.

As fo sizing: find a Moots dealer with a fit cycle. And make sure the fit cycle replicates the dimensions of the bike you want. Many fit cycles really aren't set up to replicate 29er proportions.

You might also look at Niner bikes. They have something like the YBB. They get good reviews except for the paint falling off.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The Moots you want can be best ordered and determined by your preferred TT meassurement. The TT is the key #. I find Moots sizing to be dead on right in the middle of all the other bizzarre frame designs. Moots sizing for me ses the standard all other builders check first for proper design. FWIW
    bikeone

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    YBB's are great! I am really enjoying the MootoX and have also had a 26" YBB. They are a really good compromise between full squish and HT.