mtbr member
    Aug 2005

why not a YBB over the hardtail?

So why would you not get the MOOTO X YBB over the MOOTO X?

price? not like either are cheap

weight? not like this is a weight weenie bike. they are around 4 pounds.

maintenance? a few drops of lube in the shock ever month? less then lubing your chain after each ride?

Any real downside to YBB (over the non-YBB) as a all day, every day, comfort bike?
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

the flerg
    Many people like to ride a hardtail for maximum power transfer. I ride my MootoX as a single speed and ride out of the saddle most of the time. I have full suspension geared bike (Epic 29) for longer and rougher rides. Therefore, no need for a soft tail. I've always thought the YBB was a bit gimmickey althought everyone I've known to own one say they love it. I do suggest to anyone buying the MootoX to add the slider option. It works amazingly well as a single speed, better than a steel frame and much better than aluminum, I've had both.
    Demo Forest mountain biking has me spoiled.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks, Ya, sold on the Ti 29er, but just hoping that the YBB will take a bit more of the trail vibrations out...
    I have a altitude 29er for a 5" travel full 29er, This is just for other stuff, as a SS.

T.W.O.
    YBB get bounce while pedaling a bit if you are mashing the pedal that can be annoying pretty fast. It took a while to get used to my YBB.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The biggest drawback of the ybb IMO is that it doesn't allow for seated pedaling over the really ruff stuff like a short travel FS (even with the 29" wheels). That, and it still bounces you around on rough stuff like a hardtaiI. I thought this would be the perfect bike for me (it certainly is quite nice), but will probably sell the frame for something like a Jet 9.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by lil'stink View Post
    The biggest drawback of the ybb IMO is that it doesn't allow for seated pedaling over the really ruff stuff like a short travel FS (even with the 29" wheels). That, and it still bounces you around on rough stuff like a hardtaiI. I thought this would be the perfect bike for me (it certainly is quite nice), but will probably sell the frame for something like a Jet 9.
    The Jet 9 is more fun for my type of riding. I just found the HT feel to be uncomfortable for my soft butt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You all forgot to mention that the YBB mech can be LOCKED OUT. I used caps incase the original poster is skimming. I am selling my 98' YBB only because I bought another, I personally love the YBB and have never had any bobbing issues. Then again maybe I am not a masher like others riding them. I have no complaints tho.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Size- YBB looks super jacked up on 29ers smaller than 19 inch

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    got a 20" YBB. was the right call for me, as the YBB just takes a bit more of the "oh crap" surprise away from the trail....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    not knowing how much you ride....the YBB keeps the rear wheel on the gorund just for the 2-3 seconds longer in the rough stuff than a hardtail. I personally love it. Those who need 4-5" of rear travel know who they are, and have the corresponding bikes.

mtbr member
    I love my MXYBB. The only time I ride my FS is in Moab and sometimes Fruita, it just isn't enough for this old body in Moab, but everywhere else it is AWESOME.
    Like Magnum Ti said you can always lock it out.
    I guess the only reason I would go for the Mooto-X over the Ybb is to get the RSL.
    Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed.
    my 2 cents,
    Woody

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Due to financial issues I have to choose between my 2009 Ybb and my 2011 Lynskey Ridgeline...Personally I choose keeping my YBB, the bike fits me like a glove and like my other posting, running a 650b on the front is a twist on the 26er format.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe not exactly on topic, but 11 years on a YBB and still think it's the best all around bike. How many days a year do you spend shuttling Procupine Rim or at the bike park. Day in day out, the YBB gets ridden more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a Mooto-X and a Mooto-X YBB, with the Mooto-X set up with a rigid fork and SS and the Ybb also SS with a White Brothers Loop 100mm. Very different rides - and I don't always want suspension, but sometimes on fast choppy stuff you need something and that is where the Ybb and squishy fork come in handy.

And yes you can lock out the Ybb - I had mine locked out for 3 years before I got used to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Would you please tell me how to lock out the YBB system? I got my frame but have no idea how to lock it, unlike my other FS XC bike with a switch lever on the shock, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcontrol View Post
    Would you please tell me how to lock out the YBB system? I got my frame but have no idea how to lock it, unlike my other FS XC bike with a switch lever on the shock, thanks.
    Tighten the bolt on the collar. Or if you want to shave weight, remove the spring and elastomer before you lock it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Timo, got it

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    well in the end went YBB. and love it. The YBB just takes the edge off things that you dont see on the trail and keeps my low back MUCH happier. added a frame bag to get all the weight off my back too

Ketchum road trip last week:

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    well in the end went YBB. and love it. The YBB just takes the edge off things that you dont see on the trail and keeps my low back MUCH happier. added a frame bag to get all the weight off my back too

Ketchum road trip last week:

I want to know how you get that table and chair in that frame bag?

Sweet bike.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i was going to ask the same question about using either as a touring bike. will be riding the tour divide next year and was sold on either the moots hard tail or spot rocker ti but now i have been thinking the YBB might save a bit of abuse on the body as long as it doesn't substitute to much pedalling efficiency.

any opinions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    love mine, only a few grams more weight, but absorbs just a bit of the road noise, and the "oh ****, missed that" for rocks, roots, stumps etc.
    you can also screw it tighter and lock it out if wanted.