mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Titanium headset in Titanium frame? (galling)

In a few weeks, when the frame arrives, I will start building up my first Titanium frame.
    A material with which I have no experience whatsoever to be honest.

One of the components I am planning to use is a Titanium headset. A lot could be said of course concerning the benefit in that, but that's just what I would like to use.

But one aspect I have been reading about is the danger of Titanium components galling together, resulting in a permanent bond. I of course plan to use copper based anti seize when installing the headset, but I still feel uncomfortable with this issue. This because I have not been able to find any clear information regarding how likely the galling will occur and how good the copper based anti seize will prevent this. And as said, I have no experience in this domain whatsoever.

I therefore hope some of you will have some real experience with this subject. Information such as the chance it will occur, the effectiveness of anti seize, the time-frame in which it will bond permannently, the need for some regular maintenance,... are more than welcome.

Thank you in advance!

In order to maximise the replies and because I could not determine the best forum, I have also posted this question in the "Weight Weenies" and "General Discussion" forums since I suppose these are the forums with probably the most 'Titanium-expereince'.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You will be fine using the anti seize. If you are using a titanium headset I would guess you are going with a Chris King. The ti headset is just bling and does nothing for you expect it weighs more than the alloy version. Go alloy and be lighter!
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank you Juanmoretime for your reply.

For your information, I did consider the Chris King but opted for a headset from "Reset Racing", a German company. I already use one of these (aluminium version) in another bike with which I am very satisfied. Of course, living in Europe also results in easier acces to European components versus US ones.

And yes, you probably are correct in that a Titanium headset will probably not bring much over an aluminium one. I still have not figured out indeed whether I should not opt for an alu one after all. A choice that will also depend on the galling information I receive.