mtbr member

thinking about a YBB, but I need more info

I've coveted a YBB for a while. I always figured a ti softtail would be perfect--just enough comfort to help with long rides, nice and simple design, low maintenance and long-lasting. Plus their just damn beautiful. But recently I've read reviews from the skeptics who say a softtail is the worst of both worlds--squishy, noodly, pedal bob, with very little traction or comfort advantage. I can't test ride one, so it's hard to make up my mind. Maybe the moots community here can help.

A few details: I was on a HT till 2003, when I bought a Rocky Mtn Element Team SC . Loved it, but it's on it's last legs and I'm ready for something new. I do a bit of expert XC racing, and plenty of technical rides. I like to climb, I like to power through technical stuff. My HT makes my back hurt a little, which is partly due to the fact that I've forgotten how to ride it properly. If I get YBB, it will be in place of a FS bike. So I'll have an old HT, and the YBB.

So given all that, is there anything else you can tell me to help with the decision? Is there some magic piece of info I haven't heard yet? Or do i just have to decide whether I'm willing to take the plunge?

Thanks.

ybbeaten
    I have a YBB after years of riding and racing on a hardtail and it is sublime. Mine is about a year old. Not racing anymore but it just takes the edge off. No bob at all either. PLUS, I am pretty sure you can lock out. Check the YBB maintenance PDF on the Moots site and just email them. They have great customer service.

Of course I am now going to purchase a 29er YBB so my year old YBB has got to go.

You won't be disappointed.
    Ride to work and work to ride

mtbr member

What size?

Quote Originally Posted by ibismojo2001
    I have a YBB after years of riding and racing on a hardtail and it is sublime. Mine is about a year old. Not racing anymore but it just takes the edge off. No bob at all either. PLUS, I am pretty sure you can lock out. Check the YBB maintenance PDF on the Moots site and just email them. They have great customer service.

Of course I am now going to purchase a 29er YBB so my year old YBB has got to go.

You won't be disappointed.
    So you were on a HT and went to the YBB. I've been mostly on a FS with 3.25 inches of travel. So I"m worried that the YBB will seem harsh. The good thing is that the resale is high so if I don't like it, I can't recoup some of my money

Anyway, what size is the frame you're selling? Do you have an ad up? PM me if you need a buyer. thanks.

ybbeaten
    See your PM.
    Ride to work and work to ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm in the ordering process for a Mooto X YBB, the 29er. I had the same questions you did. I found good answers in riders forum of the Moots webpage and here.

Here's what I learned: unless you know you want FS, the YBB is the way to go. You can always lock it out and ride in HT mode. From a practical standpoint it seems like it would be foolish to buy a Moots without it.

Do take the time to get sized. A new frame is going to be almost $3k, so you want to make sure you have the correct size. On the Moots webpage, there's a post by someone who sized himself and ordered over the web and it did not work out well. Go to a dealer for the sizing.

Cheers,