• 12-12-2012
    Canitois1
    Teaching my lady to ride... on a YBB?
    My girlfriend will be completing her move to Colorado (Roaring Fork Valley) where I live by the end of the week, and although it is December and ski season, I am trying to plan for the bike season ahead of time.

I ride a Medium Ibis Mojo HD (6.5" trail bike) and I also have a beautiful 16" 2000 YBB with less than 200 miles on it (read - not a SINGLE scratch). She and I are both very fit and essentially the same size, so both bikes fit both of us. I think that the HD would be too much bike for her to learn on, and I have serious reservations letting her learn on the YBB. Not only because it is so pristine, but it will not be as soft as a full suspension rig. So what should I do?

I would want to overhaul the fork, and put disc brakes on the YBB which means new wheels and sending it to Moots which I don't have a problem doing, but is it worth it? That would be another $1k+, OR should I sell the YBB and put that money into a good bike for her that I can ride as well if she's not riding with me?

Basically, do I just keep the YBB, try and overlook the inevitable scratches, dings, etc. and enjoy being on a bike with her, or get her something more suited for the Colorado terrain that she can grow into and that I can enjoy riding too?

Thanks for any suggestions and input.
  • 12-14-2012
    Piratefly
    Are you sure she will be into mtb enough to dump a bunch of cash into a bike for her? Get her something decent but used or grab a bike off bikesdirect.com. If she loves it surprise her later on with a nice bike.
  • 12-18-2012
    Canitois1
    I agree with that, but I am not "in love" with my Moots. Yes, I quite enjoy it on the long, sustained climbing days, but I have become so accustomed to disc brakes and a plush fork, I am having a hard time justifying throwing more money at it. If I sold it, I could get a bike that we both liked, and if she hated it, I would be perfectly happy with my "new" (used) bike to replace the YBB.

If I drop money on a new fork, scrounge up some disc-compatable wheels from around the house, and send it to Moots for a tab to be welded to the rear, is it profoundly going to change the way it feels for me? I have a new wheelset with Stan's Flow rims that I could easily convert to work for the YBB. Running tubeless, disc brakes, and a new/newer fork - would it be justifiable?

I could put all that time, money, and effort into a really nice used bike in the $1500-2000 range that she would love, and I would as well.

So, the original question remains. Put more money into the YBB, and be scared for scratches, or sell it and get something more modern that we can both enjoy, and that she can grow into?

Thanks for any input!
  • 12-19-2012
    Mojo Man
    First off, I have a custom 2012 YBB and a Ibis Mojo, similar to you. Iím in love with my Moots and never ride my Mojo any more, just not as quick as the 29ír, plus Iím tired of the squishy full suspension feel (more of a XC racer now I guess). I have my YBB set up as a SS and thatís all I race and ride, I know, bit different than your set up.

If you no longer have a love relationship with your YBB why would you care if she scratches it? For what itís worth, I have both of my bikes protected with 4mil clear tape and knock on wood neither has even the tiniest scratch, and I ride and race both.

I would sell the YBB (26ír?) and buy a cheap bikes direct 29ír to see if your other half likes riding, if she does, give her you Mojo and buy the new 2012 or 2013 YBB 29ír and fall you will fall in love again.

Mojo
  • 12-19-2012
    limba
    Buy a beater and see how it goes.
  • 12-19-2012
    Canitois1
    Mojo, I just got my HD this year, and to be entirely honest, for all around riding, I like the geometry of the regular Mojo as opposed to the HD. Now there are a few trails where I really find the sweet spot on the HD, and then it sings, but ideally, I would pick up another Mojo to replace the YBB and set it up fairly light.

Limba, the issue I have with beater's is that I associate them with constant tinkering and not having been loved by their previous owner(s). That assumption can be proven wrong by looking on craigslist occasionally, but a beater bike +fork overhaul ($150-300) + new shifters, cables, housing ($75) +chain ($40-60) +cassette ($80) etc. and then we are looking at the cost of a pretty nice bike that may only need one of the things to be done. I just don't see the justification, but I have been wrong many times, and this may be another time.

So, I guess this leads me to roughly say, "Anyone interested in a really nice YBB?"
  • 12-19-2012
    limba
    I meant a beater compared to your other bikes. A YBB frame alone is worth a fortune, well, new they are. I was suggesting a "cheap" new bike.

I'm sure there are stores in Colorado that have awesome bikes you can rent for the day. Maybe you can try a bunch of bikes, see if she likes riding and then get the perfect bike(s) for both of you.
    I'd seriously look into that. That will be a fun date and productive.
  • 12-19-2012
    Canitois1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I meant a beater compared to your other bikes. A YBB frame alone is worth a fortune, well, new they are. I was suggesting a "cheap" new bike.

I'm sure there are stores in Colorado that have awesome bikes you can rent for the day. Maybe you can try a bunch of bikes, see if she likes riding and then get the perfect bike(s) for both of you.
    I'd seriously look into that. That will be a fun date and productive.

That would be one hell-uv-a date actually! Good call!

In the mean time, I may think about finding a good home for this YBB...
  • 12-19-2012
    limba
    Glad to help. Good luck with your shopping and selling. :)
  • 01-06-2013
    Canitois1
    Two weeks ago I was ready to sell my YBB. After having ridden it to work nearly every day (with studded tires), albeit a short .7 mile commute, I am having serious reservations about seeing it go.

It's just so. . .

Perfect. Fit, finish, stability, speed. It just does what it's supposed to so damn well.

Why do you love your YBB?