mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Smoothie Owners with Fox Shocks-???

I've got this posted over at Moots, pardon the cut/paste...

Working on my build, and trying to figure out if my upper hardware configuration is correct. I replaced the Fox Float AVA that came with the frame with an RP23, and need to confirm the upper spacer/reducer arrangement that came with the frame. On the non-drive side, there is a black o-ring which acts as a dust wiper, and rides on top of the spacer. On the driveside, there is an identical o-ring which seems to act as a makeup spacer, as it fits right between the shock eyelet and the reducer, and not over top of the entire arrangement. also, the reducer hardware slid right out of the old shock and right into the new one, which seems a little loose compared to the kona iím coming off of (reducer tophats had to be twisted out with a vise). does all this sound normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    any thoughts or ideas?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    no, but i just figured out how to remove the float AVA for servicing. i did call moots and was not able to speak to someone to give me detailed instructions. likewise, the forum on the moots site turned up negative. i havent actually removed the shock yet, but will complete it hopefully this w/e.

the "nut" for the front mount is pressed into the aluminum mount. i had to back out the bolt a bit and use a plastic hammer to tap on the bolt head until the nut started to move out. the upper bolt for the upper rear linkage is a little corroded. i have looked for an exploded diagram, but i have failed to find one.

i love the bike and dont have bad feelings for moots. if i run into a problem, ill just call until i can speak to the right person. i dont notice any o rings or the like on mine. ill just have to take it apart and look at it. there shouldnt be any noticable play. if you are interested, i can let you know what i find. if the RP3 demensions are the same, i would think it would reassemble the same.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i pulled a fox ava off mine, too. i got as far as you did, in fact i had good success freezing the pressed bottom mount, and then pressing it in with a small c-clamp. as far as mine is concerned, everything is tight in an unbuilt state, but using a rubber o-ring as a spacer seems a bit odd to me. with the hardware provided, it's the only way to tighten things up. i'm wondering if the previous owner had a progressive shock, and just reused some of the hardware.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i also think the the O rings are strange; mine doesnt have them and i am the original owner. i dont have it all apart yet, but soon. will post when i find out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    got it apart tonight. those o rings, mine has one on the non drive side, they function to allow some lateral movement which otherwise might cause the pivot to bind. now i have to decide to rebuild, or get another shock....the piece that goes through the eyelet of the shock moves smoothly within the eyelet without any noticable slack or play..

mtbr member
    Rosedale, I went from an AVA to a rp-3 to an rp-23 and like the '23 the best. The ava had great action, and it's all float, the rp-3 was too much "pro-pedal", not enough smoothiness, and the rp-23 is the best of both worlds, platform pedaling when I'm racing or climbing, and float for the slow rough stuff, or dh action.

I looked and I've got no "O" rings on my top mount, but I seem to rember them being there at one time, and when I changed shocks they were cracked and broken up and I tossed them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for the info. the question now is, do i send the AVA to push for a rebuild @ $99, or do i hunt for a used RP23 that has the same stroke and length as the AVA, where i would probably have to send to push any way for a rebuild at least? besides ebay, any ideas on where i could go to look for a used (new is out of the question; the smoothie is now my secondary bike) shock?
    info appreciated

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i called moots yesterday, talked to sam in finishing. the o-rings are stock, their purpose is to act as a flexible spacer in the reducer arrangement. i sourced some for cheap in the plumbing department @ lowes. also, the reducers do slide in and out, no pressing necessary. thanks to everybody i pm'ed.

r.d., it's too bad the live search/ebay thing is over, i bought a slightly used rp23 for $167 after the rebate, and sold my ava rl for $110. the air sleeve service/o-ring change is actually pretty easy, i've got a kit from push for cheap. i'm using 80w gear oil in place of fox float fluid, and slickoleum (unbranded slick honey) for light grease, very cost effective.