mtbr member
    Feb 2008

smoothie front mech question

i currently have an XTR, generation before current, top swing. the cable "arm" rests on part of the swing arm. it has worked fairly well, but i really dont like scaring up the swing arm. i am close to getting an XTR bottom swing that solve that problem, and allow getting the cage closer to the big ring, which may help shifting also.

i called moots today. no firm recommendation, but he thought a bottom swing would work well.
    what is the preferred design? comments? thanks

bottom swing; swing mech below clamp
    top swing; swing mech above clamp
    Last edited by RosedaleReaper; 02-21-2008 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    If you buy a Zircle, you will not have to worry about which to use.

I've been using what you call the top swing forever on my ti smoothie, the clearence is sooo close when the cable clamp swing down, but it works great. I tried to build my girl's ti smoothie with the '08 XT and the cable bolt hit the frame, unless I positioned the deraileur too high to work. The '08 M-770 did not work, for me i'm using a '07 M-970 on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i dont know about the zirk, but on the smoothie, the cable stop for the front mech is placed towards the drive side. what i dont like about my current mech is exactly what you encountered on your GFs; this is a M960, and there is no room for the end of the cable, it must slide between the swing arm and the BB, where it does contact the sweet Ti. plus, the swing arm contacts the cable pinch bolt and acts like the L screw. it did work fine, but it is beat up and i am replacing the cables. i really am thinking that a top clamp/bottom swing will work better, i just need to make sure that it clears the seat tube shock mount, which i think it will. thanks for the comments..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    for the very few who may care, i picked up a 971; top clamp, AKA bottom swing. much better clearance all around, and, because of the right eccentric cable stop, the angle to the cable clamp is not severe, probably why moots put it there instead of in the center.
    i expect it to work better, free and clear...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

top clamp/bottom swing will not work

for the smoothie, the cable contacts the seat stay/swing mech; now i know. moots could have easily told me when i called to use the top swing. not a big deal, ill just use it for my moment....

now i have to deal with the cable/cable clamp bolt and the swing arm pivot mount. will figure it out..