mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Smoothie blend...

I am just in the process of rebuilding up my smoothie blend frame that I purchased in the fall. I rode it several times before taking apart to replace with more custom parts. The rear shock is the progressive 5th element and worked well. I am used to the Fox rear shocks what is the general feedback about the preformance on the 5th element good or poor ? I will post pics of my ride when it's done in a week or so. It will be primary 24hr race bike..

thanks for any input

mtbr member
    I have never used the 5th Element but have not heard good things about it. I'm currently usuing a Fox RP-23 on my ti Smoothie and love it. With both Full float, and 3 way adjustable pro-pedal modes the RP-23 makes my bike ride like 4 different bikes without having to adjust the air pressure.

mtbr member
    Heard that Progessive were, or have dropped out of mountain bike shocks. Anyway as a whole the 5th element is a nice, light shock. When working. It seems to me to be some what fragile, and high maintainance, that said, i have heard from several people " in the know" that the 5th is perfect for the smoothie set up. I would run the 5th until it goes south then invest in a Fox. Don't think you will notice a huge difference in either.

mtbr member
    My Cinco came equipped with a 5th Element. Just as theheavyone said, I'd ride the 5th Element until it craps out on you (which will be sooner than you think) and replace it with a Fox. When they are working, the do a good job. You can run lower pressures in them for the same weight of rider, but they tend to be fragile. Smoked mine after 2 days in Moab/Fruita. No issues with the Fox replacement.