Got Twins?

Slipping Seatpost Clamp on Classic?

I have a Moots Classic seatpost and have been having issues with the saddle rails slipping during my rides lately. I've used ti prep on the bolts and tightened them down. Saddle rails are the Fizik material in a 7mm size not carbon rails. I haven't had any issues with my other Moots post and it has been on the same trails. Anyone have any issues with this? This is on a non Moots frame.

Thanks,
    L8
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did you look to see if the clamp is closed all the way down when it is tightened? I had a problem with mine and found the ti clamp was fully closed when tightened, by replacing the aluminium suports, the clamp didn't fully close, and my seat didn't move. or, If you place some shim material on top of your seat rails, it will boost the inner space on the clamp thus giving more room to close down without bottoming out.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Upgrade to the new Cinch-Post

Quote Originally Posted by l84biking
    I have a Moots Classic seatpost and have been having issues with the saddle rails slipping during my rides lately. I've used ti prep on the bolts and tightened them down. Saddle rails are the Fizik material in a 7mm size not carbon rails. I haven't had any issues with my other Moots post and it has been on the same trails. Anyone have any issues with this? This is on a non Moots frame.

Thanks,
    L8
    I went through this same problem 2 or 3 years ago, after trying many saddles with those Moots Posts, and I had 4 of them total, i feel that their older design is Flawed and does NOT hold up well for anything but Light-rider "Road" rides. Moots did away with it due to these problems. They tried making New Aluminum Seat Rail CLAMPS with tooling that was refreshed, they thought the tooling wore after many years of production, but even that did not Help mine. The NEW Clamps helped Temporarily, but eventually they ALL FAILED, once they slip even 1 time, they are done as the aluminum just strips or smoothes out.
    I sold all of mine to road riders and then got their new CINCH POSTS. They NEVER SLIP and i only ride Rigid Hard Tail mountain bikes.
    Time to Move on - Hope this helps.

Got Twins?

Thanks for the input...

I have a cinch post coming to replace this one. I may put it on my cross bike to see if can handle it. As you two noted, yes, the bolts do bottom out maybe due to me overtightening it. Or maybe I just noticed that I was too spread out on the bike this trip. Plus I needed a longer post too. If it doesn't hold, I'll put it up for sale.

Thanks,
    L8
    Let us Ride!