K n e e m o i

Sizing help for Zirkel 96r

I have two 26 inch bikes. One 100mm Ti hardtail, and one 4inch travel FS aluminum bike. (Titus Racer X)

I am thinking about the Zirkel 96r... I'm 5ft 6in, and I am thinking of 16.5 in frame.

But I really want to do custom, as my two 26 inch bikes are set up exactly the way I like it.

Problem is, since Zirkel is a 96r, I can't exactly copy the geometry from the 26 inch bike.

Any tips?
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

Ti is addictive
    Are you sure you're not talking about a Moots Gristle????
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

K n e e m o i
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Are you sure you're not talking about a Moots Gristle????
    Yes I am, as in I am talking about the Gristle. They have three different versions from what I remember...(six if you count single speed)
    "Prison sports are really fun. I get used as a frisbee, a dartboard, and a second base!" - Kneemoi

Ti is addictive
    I am having to run a slightly longer stem (100mm vs 90 mm) on my Moots Mooto-X rigor which is a 17, due to the shorter top tube then our Racer-X's. Standover is a bit touchy as well......hindsight 20/20 a 96er would have been a better option for me as well.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you want a custom Gristle, I'd contact the design staff at Moots and let them worry about how to create the geometry of the Gristle so that it's ride/size is the same as your current bikes. Brad will not let you down.

PS; I got a GristleYBB last fall, and am now getting it out on the dirt, and love how the 29 wheel rolls over small bumps and dips better than my 26. I think the only regret I may have is not going with the 4inch Zirkel/Gristle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I agree with SBS. That is the beauty of a company like MOOTS. You don't have to try and guess which frame will fit you best, have them do a custom and you will be sure it is the right specs. Good luck, it looks like a great bike

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Many Moots dealers specialize in custom fit bikes and will have an adjustable "fit cycle" in their shop. Check with your lbs Moots dealer and see if they'll set up the 16.5 dimensions for you to hop on. This is also useful for finding stem length and saddle setback before ordering.
    I rode a 17" [custom] Gristle Zirkel last year at 5'9". I sold it to a rider at 5'7" and it worked out fine. I think at 5'6" you'll be fairly safe on the 16.5, but it would be good to make sure before moving forward. Moots has a very complete custom program, and if that 16.5 isn't quite right, they will make whatever you need.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

K n e e m o i
    Great, I think I'll go the custom route...