mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Sell YBB for ___ ?

I bought a YBB last year after upgrading from a GT Avalanche. I was getting beat to hell on the hardtail and made the upgrade, one that I do not regret. But I feel i have outgrown this already and currently looking for a full suspension.

Ultimately, I would like to keep the YBB and sell the GT. But I won't be able to fund a new frame selling the GT. So, it seems like the YBB will go.

The trails i ride mainly are littered with rock field and stumps. All XC/trail riding.

I'm 175 lbs

What would be a good next step to a full suspension?

I've been thinking of these few bikes: (all Ti)

Racer X
    Moots Zirkle
    Moots Smoothie
    Litespeed Sewanee

Will the racer X ti and Zirkle be a big enough change in travel?
    Is the smoothie too much travel?
    Any thoughts/dislikes of any of these or any other frames I'm not aware of?

I'm not looking to spend a ton of $$. I would hopefully be able to pick up a frame for the same I can sell the YBB.

The fork I currently run is a Bomber. 80mm, i think. Which will be upgraded next to something bigger.

Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    is your YBB 29er? if soo im interested!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    sorry, it isn't

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What size is your YBB? What's the standover height?
    I'm 6'1" and might be interested if it fits me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I will get back to you later, I'll have to take some measurements.

I may sell just the frame or sell the bike as a whole. I haven't fully decided yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    some quick measurements with my tape measure:

seat tube: 17" c-t

TT: 21 5/8" c-c

Standover: 33" next to the stem, 29" next to the seatpost

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I also looked into the Litespeed Niota but it seems as though these have a lot of issues with the frame cracking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Moots Zirkle
    Moots Smoothie
    Litespeed Sewanee

If you love you YBB then I would stick w/ Moots again like what you mentioned or better yet the Cinco is nice! If i had $$$ then I would go w/ Cinco. 74 seat angle for climbing and if you put Fox Talas 100/120/140 then downhilling would be blast. Just my 2cents

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I do like moots but i also want to make sure I've shopped enough because I will be keeping this bike for a while.

Anyone know how the Moots compare to a Merlin 5.25? They seem awfully similar in design but i believe the Moots is lighter.

mtbr member
    I started off biking on a ybb then I got a turner 5 spot to be my trail bike and moved the ybb to race duty. then I sold the ybb for a yeti as-r for my race bike, then sold the turner for a 6" banshee Rune. The banshee rune or any comparable 6" bike is just so fun to ride, and they aren't bad uphill, I only use my yeti for racing now and some race training.

My suggestion is don't make baby steps in travel, stay away from 4" XC race bikes, unless you intend on racing.
    For a super fun bike that can go almost as quick as an xc race bike, but is immeasurably more fun to ride, go with a 5.5" travel trail bike.

Most of them aren't slow, most have great comfortable geometry, and they are more durable then a lightweight race frame.
    Also look at some dual link suspension designs.
    My yeti has at least another race season in it, but after that I will definitely be going with a more efficient suspension design and one that doesn't rely on platform shock to pedal well.
    Personally the steep head angles on the moots fullys would keep me away from them. look for something that has around 68 degree head angle if you want good downhill performance, and don't let people tell you climbing is harder with slack head angles, it isn't.

Here are some bike suggestions for you

Banshee spitfire (everyone seems to love this bike!)
    newer turner 5 spot
    giant trance
    santa cruz blur LT
    pivot mach 5
    Last edited by willymcd; 07-07-2010 at 11:34 PM.