mtbr member

sell my ybb for a 29'r ??

I LOVE my Moots. but have decided to go with a smaller frame and switch to a 29'r.

should i keep it, ride it. or go to a 29'r?

my current setup is '03 moots ybb frame 18", post, bar & stem.
    XTR drivetrain
    Hope Disk brakes
    Fox marathon fork
    Chris King wheel set

i find myself riding my epic expert 29'r more than my moots now a days.

mtbr member
    you already have a 29er, so why the question about going to a 29er? do you mean a X YBB? If so, then I'd say no, you already have big wheels, keep the 26er around for a different ride.
    ti Nuke Proof SS
    ti Moots Mooto X YBB

mtbr member
    Keep it, you'll be sad to learn the value of an older 26" YBB. If you race, there are plenty of courses the YBB will shine over the 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Buy a YBB 29er...best of both worlds

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If there is anyone interested in selling his Moots ybb ... Iīm still searching for a ybb in 18''

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OP. Put a 650b upfront of your YBB and breath some new life into your Ti bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Do the 29ír YBB,

Iíve been racing in our local spring series with my full cush geared carbon, top- o-the line 26ír, It seamed like I was flying on it, but was only able to get 5-6th place over all in the first 2 races. A lot of tight, twisty, single track, with suspension eating blurry fast downhillís.

The following week I raced my my new SS YBB 29ír, as it turns out, I beat my best time on my 26ír by over 5 minutes (1:06 hr total time) and totally hammered the guys that passed me in the last two races. To say the least, they didnít know what hit them.

I totally reject any idea that a 26ír is better in the tight twisty single track. It may feel faster but Iíve proven time and time again, a 29ír hard tail or better yet, a YBB is tough to beat.

Anyone interested in a slightly used Ibis Mojo?

Mojo
    Last edited by Mojo Man; 05-28-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Hell Track
    Yes, sell the Ybb cheap to me!

mtbr member
    Question or questions here for long time Moots guys.

First off a brief history-- I'm 59. Long time serious, former competitive runner (30 yrs) and have been riding mountain and road off and on for over 20 to crosstrain from the running.

Due to the advancing condition of my Halux Rigudus condition (stiffening of the big toe joint), the running (after 30 years and over 60,000 total miles run) has become increasingly painful. I'm pretty much resigned to do more riding these days. Riding on the street I try to keep at a minimum since the traffic in LA is not bike friendly. Like with my running I find more enjoyment on the trails, away from the f**** cars... I have a few fireroads minutes from my house that are 3 mile sustained climbs.

I have a 2004 Ellsworth Truth with XT build, Mavic X717 wheelset. I like it for the most part. I'm not a technical rider but more enjoy the sustained climbing on these wide fireroads and getting my heart-rate up. I will never race either. Again my biking is for maintaining fitness for running and taking some of of the stress and pounding off the joints. I'm ultra- conservative (read boring ) on the descent. Before the Ellsworth I had a purple Stumpjumper from the early 90's.

At a LBS today I rode a size 18 YBB 26 with XT build for the first time ever. It wasn't a demo so I was only able to take it around the neighborhood , jump off some curbs and do some repeats of climbing up a short, hilly parking lot driveway.

I've had my eyes on Moots for a number of years and recently been reading every post and thread on the net regarding them and thinking...man I'd really like to check these out and see what all the rave reviews are about.

I gotta say, being my first experience with a high end ti hardtail (or soft tail in this case), the feel, even just riding on the cement was like nothing I've experienced before....WOW !

Not being a *bike guy*, I'm not real technical with bike terms and descriptions but simply the bike felt like a laser compared to my Ellsworth. Just very true and smooth. I felt more in control and it wasn't "floaty" in the least bit. I guess that's what "high end" buys you. My hope is that all of this transfers into more efficiency on the climbs (sometimes my rear spins out in the sandy sections) and a smoother, safer descent on the loose gravel, curvy, sandy fieroads.

The guy at the shop said...oh yeah this bike is a perfect fit for you (I'm 5' 8" & 158). He told me the frame has been in the shop for sometime and they just decided to build it up with different parts they had laying around. Besides the XT it had the Easton X1 wheels. I googled them and they appear to be discontinued. There's no mention of them on the easton site either so I don't know where they stand in quality relation to current wheels.

Overall the YBB 26 seemed smaller then my Ellsworth and maybe a better fit. But the thing that I wondered about was he said...nah stay away from the YBB 29er, you're too small. Now I'm wondering if they just want to unload this 26er....the price seemed very good considering the YBB frames are around 3K. Also from what I've read and talked to other guys at LBS around town, the 26 hardtails are hardly selling at all. Even something like the YBB 26er. The sales guy even admitted that they might not ever sell the bike, that it was just built up more for people to see what the quality and detail of a Moots looked like.

I've called around LA and nobody stocks a YBB 29er to even tool around the parking lot. Actually I think this is the only Moots mountain bike in the city from the calls I've made. I have been on some 29er stumpjumpers at another local shop and they felt pretty good not too big...but again it's not the trail.

Given my riding habits, size, weight and preference of trails, would this 18 YBB 26er be a good call and/or fit ? ( I have a feeling there's a little more wiggle room in the price as well) or should I really make an effort to just wait and check out the 29 YBB somehow (maybe at a show) ?

Thanks for bearing with my lack of knowledge on the subject..
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11-17-2012 at 01:31 AM.
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

'05 NY Steinway D
    Yamaha CP4
    Potts 29er
    Ellsworth Truth
    Litespeed Classic

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say you are too small for a 29 er. The bigger wheels may be just what you want for the rides you do, fire roads ect. The bigger wheels will help with the wheel spin out you experence on sandy climbs. The shop may be just triing to sell off the 29 er by down selling what they do not have in stock. I would contact Moots and try to get out on a demo 29erYBB, they have a extensive demo program that travels around the states, unless you are in a huge rush to get a new Moots, take the time to ride a 29 er to see how you like it, even if its not a Moots. Another important element is the price the LMD is willing to sell you that 26er. if it fits well, and you like the ride, and the price is low enough, grab the 26er and you'll be happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Piano Guy View Post
    Given my riding habits, size, weight and preference of trails, would this 18 YBB 26er be a good call and/or fit ? ( I have a feeling there's a little more wiggle room in the price as well) or should I really make an effort to just wait and check out the 29 YBB somehow (maybe at a show) ?

Thanks for bearing with my lack of knowledge on the subject..
    Only YOU can decide. I recently switched back to a 26er, the 29er wasn't for me. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a YBB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velosprocket View Post
    Only YOU can decide. I recently switched back to a 26er, the 29er wasn't for me. At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a YBB.
    Thanks for the replies sbs and velo. Yeah I know it's on me, just tryin' to get a bit of feedback here. It's interesting you switched back, the 26er just worked better for you ?

Yeah I'm not in a super hurry. I'm pretty sure that 26 YBB will be there for some time.

And yes sbs, another shop told me about the Moots demo plan...so I should definitely explore that avenue before I pull any triggers.

Another thought are the Ericksens. I haven't spoken with Kent but it appears he endorses the 650Bs now. It would be more dough then the lbs's ybb 26er but might be a good compromise.

A road trip to Steamboat wouldn't be out of the question either. I'm guessing I could check out all 3 wheel options first hand on nearby trails.

Velo, I noticed you're a Colorado guy, any experience with the Ericksens ? I guess I can call them on Monday, but does Moots have any plans for a 650b ?

Thanks..
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 11-17-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added thought
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

'05 NY Steinway D
    Yamaha CP4
    Potts 29er
    Ellsworth Truth
    Litespeed Classic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Piano Guy View Post
    Thanks for the replies sbs and velo. Yeah I know it's on me, just tryin' to get a bit of feedback here. It's interesting you switched back, the 26er just worked better for you ?

Yeah I'm not in a super hurry. I'm pretty sure that 26 YBB will be there for some time.

And yes sbs, another shop told me about the Moots demo plan...so I should definitely explore that avenue before I pull any triggers.

Another thought are the Ericksens. I haven't spoken with Kent but it appears he endorses the 650Bs now. It would be more dough then the lbs's ybb 26er but might be a good compromise.

A road trip to Steamboat wouldn't be out of the question either. I'm guessing I could check out all 3 wheel options first hand on nearby trails.

Velo, I noticed you're a Colorado guy, any experience with the Ericksens ? I guess I can call them on Monday, but does Moots have any plans for a 650b ?

Thanks..
    If you can't find a bike in Steamboat, then you've got issues!

Obviously you've got Moots, and Eriksen. Orange Peel has a great demo fleet, and is connected to Eriksen, so you can kill 2 birds with one stone there. I also think Orange Peel is the largest Moots dealer, but not sure.

I own several custom bikes, and I've sold twice as many (mostly road and cross.) It takes a LOT of miles to really figure out what you want. I'm not going to lie, I've talked to Kent, and I'm close to getting on his waiting list.

I couldn't get into the feel of the 29er. The wheels felt like they were all over the place, and harder to control. At the end of the day, I was faster on a 26" wheel bike. The 650b has my interest, but the wheel size is so close to 26", I'm not sure I see the benefit. I wouldn't want a 650b hardtail, and I don't think Kent makes a FS 650b. He does make a ti full suspension with a Yeti rear, and I LOVE it.

I say drive on out to Steamboat, ride a few bikes, talk to Kent, and take a Moots factory tour. The only problem, most of the trails are going to be covered in snow this time of year.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 and I did sell my 18"ybb a while back. I built it up in 2003 and unfortunately always wished I would have purchased as smaller frame.

I just got back not riding last year and loved that bike, but it was just a little too big. I now ride a 29'r and will never go back to a 26" wheel.

My wife is 5'7 and also rides a 29'r.

so don't let one shop employee make up your mind on which setup to go with, ride them all. Borrow bikes from friends and LBS.

mtbr member
    We do have snow on the trails here in Steamboat. Kent is a great resource for bike ideas, and he has embraced the 650b wheel, but I don't think he does the YBB after the split from Moots. You can't go wrong with either brand. Invest a little time into getting onto a 29er YBB demo, and see how you like it. Someone in the Los Angles area has one that you should be able to try. If the shop you did the first test ride won't get you onto one, call the Moots factory and they will help you set up a demo. I've heard rumors about a Moots 650b, but have not seen any around town, I wouldn't wait for them to produce one unless you are willing to go custom, and pay for them to make one.