mtbr member

seized up MOOTS Ti headset spacer

I'm in the process of upgrading the parts on my wifes YBB and gonna put a the new SID fork on to replace the pretty tired 03 SID thats on there now however the Ti moots headset spacers have more or less welded themselves to the old steerer tube i was able to remove top spacer and struggled to get the moots stem off but the bottom spacer is on there for good.

how do i get the bottom spacer off the steerer tube with out destroying it or the steerer tube or the chris king headset in the process? last time this was taken apart was 18 months ago when whe had the fork serviced with no issues but this time it's on there good.

also any suggestions on how to prevent this?

her moots cx and road bike have carbon steerers and so did her previous SID fork so this is totally new problem to me.

mtbr member
    yoikes. not sounding good. if the al on the steerer has chemically welded to the spacer, you have problems...id be loathe to heat it, and baking soda may cause too much corrosion of the steerer. wd 40 soak?

mtbr member
    i'm thinking cutting the spacer off better to waste a Ti spacer that can be replaced than to mess up a fork that can be sold on eBay.

i'll call the moots shop that we got the bike from and ask them what to do.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I am assuming you didn't use any antisieze on the steer tube that's one of the things you need to do on all materials even aluminum-on-aluminum. If you don't mind trashing your head set I would get a dead blow and beat the piss out of it otherwise plan to cut the steer tube. And never use those Ti spacers again.....

mtbr member
    i was not the one that put the bike back together after the fork had been serviced besides why would i ever put any anti-seize compound on a steerer tube so i really can't blame the mechanic either.