mtbr member
    Apr 2005

question about rear brake line routing on rigormootis

i just got this beauty and wondered why the hayes hydraulic rear brake line was routed with tie-ons rather than thru the braze-on guide. maybe it doesnt fit? maybe i should leave it alone as it works fine.
    also, the fox 80 has a 2.35 maxxis with what looks like lots of free space for an even larger tire, but the fox site says no. anyone know why?

mtbr member
    When they set the brakes up, they probably didn't want to bleed the brakes again after putting the lines through. I ran my Juicy lines through my Cinco and bled them with no problems, with space to spare.

And as far as the tires go, there may be room to spare for mud clearance, but Fox probably doesn't recommend a bigger tire for fear when the fork is fully compressed, it will hit the crown, stopping the tire and causing a catastrophic crash. To check, let all the air out of the fork and compress all the way to see how much clearance you have between the top of the tire and the bottom of the crown.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

both good points.

ill wait on the brakeline for the same reason.

and will check point 2 to avoid being fubar'd

mtbr member
    duke, did moots set up your brakes, or your dealer? Ask the dealer to run the lines the correct way as you have just dropped quite a bit of money on a expensive bike and you want it set up right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

thaks sbsbiker

but this bike was used. i could not afford a new one from a dealer.

mtbr member
    Take it to a shop and have them run the lines the right way. It shouldn't cost you much (under $30) or better yet, just get a bleed kit and do it yourself. It is really easy to do and then you'll have the kit for the next time around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

i think i should learn to do that bleed myself

and i looked up the reviews here on hayes hydraulics which ranged from really bad to very good..........but i cant find any name or number on mine to distinguish which one i have. anyone know where that is located?

but some shop did do the original outside the guide routing